Celestica D4040

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Mailkit

Nov 6, 2017
I meant plug the USB into the port on the D4040 and then follow the above steps provided you get the console working. Sorry for not being clear.

It should show some garbage or sometimes it may not show. Do you have the correct drivers for your console cable? How are you connecting it. Can you throw in some pictures?

Reactions: shadow3g

shadow3g

Sep 6, 2023
Here are all the pictures.

What kind of the USB that you connect to the D4040? Do you have the link or picture?
FYI, the Putty on Windows 10 didn't allow to set up 9800,8,1
What software that you use to connect the D4040?

Attachments

Last edited:

klui

Feb 3, 2019
Yeah, most likely the LPC bug is in effect. You can try to take it apart and look at this post to see if it's the same as yours. Make the mod and see if it fixes it.

You need to connect a serial cable in RJ45 form factor to the console port--console ports won't have LED status lights. If your PC doesn't have a serial connector use a USB-to-serial adapter.
[Switch (RJ45 Console)] <--> [RJ45-to-DE9 serial] <--> [DE9 serial-to-USB (if needed)] [(DE9 | USB) Computer]​

shadow3g

Sep 6, 2023
Hi everyone,
I'm looking for confirmation that the Mellanox CX354A ConnectX-3 QDR (flashed to be an ethernet only) is compatible with the D4040.
If it is, I'll proceed with purchasing the necessary tools to fix the D4040.
Thanks in advance!

klui

Feb 3, 2019
Yes they work fine. You don't reflash to ethernet, but reconfigure using mlxconfig. You would reflash if you want to change PSID or use standard Mellanox firmware--there are cards that are have Mellanox PSIDs and firmware that show newer versions than what the website states is latest but they have more limitations on what transceivers are accepted.

Also look at my post where I show how Celestica reworked their management plane on these two switches. The rework done by @okrasit is on the data plane. Doing it the Celestica way requires more parts removed. The data PCB must be removed before the management one.

klui

Feb 3, 2019
Yes, it "fixes" the same issue but the rework just delays the inevitable. Without the rework the CPU will have ~2 years of life. With the rework the CPU will maybe have 5-10 years (my guess, but enough for warranty purposes). The life of the CPU is decreased while it is powered on, not workload.

@okrasit doesn't have schematics while Celestica does. He just probed around to find the right signals.

BTW, not my solution. I'm not a HW engineer.