CDIR and SPF for mail servers on DNS records , whats the corresponding to cover last 2 IP4 digits, ex: 192.168.x.x

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

MiguelC

May 11, 2023
Hi , im hardly an expert on networks but since I'm the least dumb at the office people delegate me most of this stuff. So excuse me if I don't call things by their proper names
So, our mails are stored at GoDaddy (wich were forcibly transferred from Mediatemple), we had previous issues with sending to Google as it turns out needed to setup SPF on DNS records, the thing is apparently they (GoDaddy/MediaTemple) sometimes for no reason change DNS of mail servers.
But for the most part I believe all their IPs are in the 184.168.x.x range.

ATM is set like this:
v=spf1 a mx ip4:216.70.64.239 ip4:184.168.0.0/16 a:n85.mail01.mtsvc.net a:3plmtsmtp01.prod.phx3.secureserver.net -all

I tought the /16 CDIR would cover all that range but maybe I'm mistaken because just recently all our mail to Google is bouncing back.

The errors tough are generic 550 error (replaced user and firmname instead or real ones):

user@gmail.com
host p3plmtsmtp-v01.prod.phx3.secureserver.net [184.168.131.199]
SMTP error from remote mail server after end of data:
550 TKXAqHAScaWFJTKXAqr3AS ::MT-SMTP:: MAIL FROM DOMAIN <firmname.com> denied
Reporting-MTA: dns; n85.mail01.mtsvc.net

Action: failed
Final-Recipient: rfc822;user@gmail.com
Remote-MTA: dns; p3plmtsmtp-v01.prod.phx3.secureserver.net
Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 550 TKXAqHAScaWFJTKXAqr3AS ::MT-SMTP:: MAIL FROM DOMAIN <firmname.com> denied

Can anyone help me out, plz?I'm a bit out of depth here.

Tks in advance.

Miguel Curto

EDIT:Sry, just now I realized I posted this in hardware section, my mistake, I set up DKIM and hopefully that will take care of things, sry.

Last edited:

Hrast

Oct 5, 2013
If you are sending no other mail from firmname.com other than GoDaddy, your SPF record for firmname.com should be:
v=spf1 include:secureserver.net -all

The 'include:secureserver.net' tells the SPF look up to that domain to see what addresses they are sending from.

Record source:
:

Last edited:

MiguelC

May 11, 2023
If you are sending no other mail from firmname.com other than GoDaddy, your SPF record for firmname.com should be:
v=spf1 include:secureserver.net -all

The 'include:secureserver.net' tells the SPF look up to consult that domain to see what addresses they are sending from.

Record source:
:
First, sry for this bit of off-topic:

Tks a lot, didn't know that, our emails were migrated to GoDaddy forcefully , things work a bit different there. Also wasnt aware you could use "partial" DNS , I've checked and it's working ok like you suggested and its much simpler.

You wouldn't know by chance if my DKIM settings should read like this?I generated the "keys" in easydmarc.com :

Screenshot 2023-08-08 at 18.29.26.jpg

Hrast

Oct 5, 2013
The text records look like correctly formatted domainkey selector DNS records, yes.

MiguelC

May 11, 2023
Its always hard to say you got it right because you need to wait a long time for it to propagate.

Thanks for the help.

Should I take any thing from this?:

Screenshot 2023-08-09 at 00.42.32.jpg

Last edited: