Caution - Deep Discount Server - Ebay

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Boddy

Oct 25, 2014
I purchased 2 x C6100 servers on Ebay (Link: Dell PowerEdge C6100 2U 8x Xeon Hex Core X5650 2 66GHz 4X Nodes 12x Trays 96GB | eBay). The units I bought had L5639 CPUs

Seller advertised servers are tested and fully functional. I later discovered that 3 motherboards on one server are missing mezzanine slots.

I paid $7 50 freight for each server from USA to Australia. As server is not complete or fully functional and not as advertised, I don't think I should have to pay for server to be returned to USA.

Even if I do send it back, I don't know what I'll receive in return. It becomes a very expensive exercise. (Let's dump junk on overseas buyers and hope they don't send it back.)

Do you think I am being reasonable in asking seller to return goods at their expense?

Has anyone else had problems with this seller?

Anyone know of any cheap C6100 motherboards for sale to suit L5639 CPUs?

Missing slots pic.JPG

RyC

Oct 17, 2013
I bought a C1100 from them, but I picked it up locally. I had an issue with the fans and they offered to replace it, but it ended up fixing itself. I don't know if they will pay for shipping, but if you ask them to verify the replacements have mezzanine slots, I think they would do that at least.

RTM

Jan 26, 2014
I have to ask, have you contacted the seller? If you did, did he suggest a solution?

In my opinion, if the seller made a mistake like this he should bear the cost.
However it is possible that they made an honest mistake, which is why you should definitely contact them before assuming that they are trying to cheat you.
If you don't need the mezz slots or the x5650 vs. l5639, the seller might even be able to give you a good deal, because shipping is expensive ;)

If the seller is impossible to work with, you can look into other options such as contacting Paypal for a refund, but it should be the last thing to do.

Boddy

Oct 25, 2014
I have to ask, have you contacted the seller? If you did, did he suggest a solution?

In my opinion, if the seller made a mistake like this he should bear the cost.
However it is possible that they made an honest mistake, which is why you should definitely contact them before assuming that they are trying to cheat you.
If you don't need the mezz slots or the x5650 vs. l5639, the seller might even be able to give you a good deal, because shipping is expensive ;)

If the seller is impossible to work with, you can look into other options such as contacting Paypal for a refund, but it should be the last thing to do.
Hi RTM,
I did contact seller.

In first instance they agreed to pay for costs of freight both ways. Then they said 'new procedure' and asked me to complete a 'returns' form.
Then I never heard anything back from them.

In second instance they offered to replace motherboards but want me to pay for freight to return items.

I replied a 10 days ago, that I think the onus is on them to pay for freight given it's their error (and that I could be open to a mutually agreeable solution, considering the cost of freight is so expensive). I have not heard anything back from them, so at this stage I'm not optimistic about my outcome.

I really hoped I could have worked things out with seller but unfortunately my timeframe for claim from Paypal has elapsed.

darkconz

Jun 6, 2013
Some C6100 are DCS units which are special made for certain cloud user. They may have requested not to put in the mezz slot on the motherboard. Maybe these 3 sleds are DCS units?

pgh5278

Oct 25, 2012
Australia
Hi RTM,
I did contact seller.

In first instance they agreed to pay for costs of freight both ways. Then they said 'new procedure' and asked me to complete a 'returns' form.
Then I never heard anything back from them.

In second instance they offered to replace motherboards but want me to pay for freight to return items.

I replied a 10 days ago, that I think the onus is on them to pay for freight given it's their error (and that I could be open to a mutually agreeable solution, considering the cost of freight is so expensive). I have not heard anything back from them, so at this stage I'm not optimistic about my outcome.

I really hoped I could have worked things out with seller but unfortunately my timeframe for claim from Paypal has elapsed.
Boddy, I live in Brisbane and use "Shipito", as a shipping service, costs bout 180 for a large server from LA to Bne. This saves a bunch on shipping and also can save on returns as well, wont fix this particular issue, but in future can save a bundle. Ship on Thursday , have it Monday afternoon.

Last edited:

Boddy

Oct 25, 2014
Some C6100 are DCS units which are special made for certain cloud user. They may have requested not to put in the mezz slot on the motherboard. Maybe these 3 sleds are DCS units?
Hi Darkconz,
Very likely to be DCS units, probably has different bios versions as well. No consistency across the four nodes of server. Just slap a few nodes into a chassis and hope it's ok mentality. Poor quality control. If customer is unhappy, we'll just stick our heads in the sand. Not good enough as far as I'm concerned.

Boddy

Oct 25, 2014
Boddy, I live in Brisbane and use "Shipito", as a shipping service, costs bout 180 for a large server from LA to Bne. This saves a bunch on shipping and also can save on returns as well, wont fix this particular issue, but in future can save a bundle. Ship on Tursday , have it Monday afternoon.
Hi Pbh5278.
Many thanks for info on 'Shipito', great tip!

I always thought freight charges on Ebay are soo wayyyy overpriced!

I don't know. Maybe it's a way sellers can make more money to pay for the Ebay charges they pay to sell stuff there.

$1,000 for freight advertised on Ebay, when you can contact freight company yourself and pay like $700.
Keep in mind that volume sellers also get significant discounts from their freight companies, probably 30-40%.
(I was offered 25% discount from FedEx after my first shipment, just to keep my business.)

I did a calculation on 'Shipito' and came to $407 and I guess I still need to add customs and GST fees as well.
But it still is better than $740 I paid FedEx directly.

C6100 is a large server. 68Kg according to my freight documents and 93 x 30 x 24 cm in the box.

Thanks again for tip on 'Shipito' :-]]

Boddy

Oct 25, 2014
Great thread but maybe should this be general chat worthy?
Hi Jeggs101,

I'm new here. My logic is it relates to purchasing items. Hence why I posted it here. But I'm open to people's suggestions, and if it's more suitable, I'm happy to move. :)

pgh5278

Oct 25, 2012
Australia
Hi Pbh5278.
Many thanks for info on 'Shipito', great tip!

I always thought freight charges on Ebay are soo wayyyy overpriced!

I don't know. Maybe it's a way sellers can make more money to pay for the Ebay charges they pay to sell stuff there.

$1,000 for freight advertised on Ebay, when you can contact freight company yourself and pay like $700.
Keep in mind that volume sellers also get significant discounts from their freight companies, probably 30-40%.
(I was offered 25% discount from FedEx after my first shipment, just to keep my business.)

I did a calculation on 'Shipito' and came to $407 and I guess I still need to add customs and GST fees as well.
But it still is better than $740 I paid FedEx directly.

C6100 is a large server. 68Kg according to my freight documents and 93 x 30 x 24 cm in the box.

Thanks again for tip on 'Shipito' :-]]
Remember Au has a 1000 AUD import limit before duty payable, best to have multiple shipments, always keep mine under 920AUD.. Shipito have good prices because they are a freight forwarder, and have high volume..so better rates, TNT is cheapest option..Peter

Boddy

Oct 25, 2014
Remember Au has a 1000 AUD import limit before duty payable, best to have multiple shipments, always keep mine under 920AUD.. Shipito have good prices because they are a freight forwarder, and have high volume..so better rates, TNT is cheapest option..Peter
Hi Peter,
Thanks for your reply. Most people may be unaware Ebay price may be excessive compared to 'do it yourself' or 'shipito'
GST 10% + Customs duty about $4o. Each server was over AU$1000 anyway.
I would have thought a single shipment may be better for freight costs?
What's your experience? Though have you found multiple shipments cheaper overall than a single shipment?
Thanks

pgh5278

Oct 25, 2012
Australia
Hi Peter,
Thanks for your reply. Most people may be unaware Ebay price may be excessive compared to 'do it yourself' or 'shipito'
GST 10% + Customs duty about $4o. Each server was over AU$1000 anyway.
I would have thought a single shipment may be better for freight costs?
What's your experience? Though have you found multiple shipments cheaper overall than a single shipment?
Thanks
You can do multi box shipments at once, as long as each is under 1k, then you are safe, can be cheaper than one very large box..

fruitcake

Jun 17, 2013
shipito will also palletise multiple boxes and ship it as one. We used it at work once, was cheaper to fedex the gear to shipito, have them palletise it and ship it than for us to pack it up and ship it back to AU.

Boddy

Oct 25, 2014
Update: seller Deep Discount Server continues to ignore my communications.

Even though I suggested being open to alternative arrangements to mitigate high cost of freight.

Where items supplied were not as described by seller. It is reasonable that seller rectify the matter and be responsible for cost of freight for return of item.

In the hope of helping others in similar situation.

I discovered that it is Ebay policy for sellers to pay for cost of return freight where goods are not as described:

" If you're returning an item because it isn't as described in the listing, the seller is responsible for return shipping charges, regardless of the seller's return policy. "
(source: Returning an item)

Thinking I may have been able to sort things out with seller between ourselves, unfortunately I've exceeded my 30 days period after sale, for Ebay intervention.

My suggestion to others in similar situation: even if you think seller will accommodate your request for refund or exchange (as in my case), do not exclude lodging a request for refund with Ebay within 30 day of period after sale. In case seller procrastinates and 30 day period expires, Ebay is unlikely or reluctant to intervene (as per my experience).

Unfortunately, even when Deep Discount Server feedback or review is negative, Deep Discount Server is reluctant to take notice if they are not compelled to.

I hope this helps out others avoid being stuck in similar situation.

Last edited:

Stanza

Jan 11, 2014
Maybe point both Ebay and The Seller to this thread (as a record of dates and times) and also to let the seller know that it might be wise to rectify the problem... so as to remove any BAD feedback against them on the interweb.... "the interweb is a small place, and word gets around fast"

;)

Reactions: Boddy

Boddy

Oct 25, 2014
Thanks Stanza for your valued comment.

I agree wholeheartedly. Any decent seller would apologise and try to fix problem, not ignore unhappy customer twice.

People are wary of parting with their hard earned cash to seller on internet.

If there is cause for mistrust people will look elsewhere. There are plenty of others selling the same goods. Trust is hard to rebuild and I agree word gets around fast.

In my experience, I found Ebay less than helpful, once 30 day time period has past.

Some less favourable Ebay experiences that's worth noting if you use Ebay:

EBay Money Back Guarantee: my battle over fake watch - Telegraph
'I've had a horrendous experience with eBay's Money Back Guarantee' - Telegraph

Regards :cool:

PersonalJ

May 17, 2013
I believe DeepDiscountServers is a part of lextecny, I've ordered from both with essentially no issue. Only issue I had was one of my Dell CS-23 servers died a few months after I ordered it (with about a month and a half of actual usage).

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Why don't you just open a buyer protection case with eBay? They'll get it sorted out for you.