Case Suggestions

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Remy

Dec 17, 2015
I currently have a Chenbro RM41300-F which is a 4U Rack mounted server case that is housing my ESXi Server. I am in the process of building a FreeNas Server. I haven't bought the case for the Freenas setup as of yet. I am currently using a 24U Skeletek Rack that I will be tossing. I am looking to toss this Rack and downsize to about a 12-15U rack. I will be moving to another apartment and don't need this monstrous rack which I have lived with for a year. Originally wasn't an issue as I was deep into my studies and didn't give a f*$!. Now that I am making more $ and moving to a nicer spot will need to change this up.
I wanted some suggestions on how to go about this properly.

Specs on both Builds

ESXi Server Build ( Already Built )
USB Boot Drive
Full ATX Motherboard
Slim DVD Drive
2.5" 500GB SSD
4x Quad Nic Full height Internal PCI Cards (Intel I340-T4 E1G44HT E1G44HTBLK NIC)
---These Nics can be resold and I only need the 1 motherboard NIC. Went thru several revisions but following INE Networking topologies and this is my final revision. So in essence I wont need 4x Quad nic cards futurewise but could possibly save 1 Quad nic card to use for load balancing on my FreeNAS/HTPC Server Build.

FreeNas/HTPC Server Build (40% Built)
Micro ATX SuperMicro SSH-F Motherboard
Ability to fit 4-6 3.5" Internal HDD's
Ability to fit Slim Blu Ray Drive
I haven't ordered any HDD's, Boot Device (Satadomm), case and ram as of yet.
I have looked at some Supermicro 1U cases but are pricey brand new and have looked at old servers on Ebay but get confused on if the model# that includes the case will support my build.

Option 1
I can keep the 4U Rack Mounted Case I have and move the FreeNas/HTPC Server build to that. Then move my existing ESXi Build to a 1 or 2U case since it is only using a Full ATX Motherboard, USB Drive (OS) and one 2.5" 500 GB SSD Drive. The 4U case can hold 4 3.5" internal drives and has a cage for hotswap options. This options puts me at the limit of the 12U rack with all other hardware mounted. With this option what case should I look into brand new and used if I can get a whole server that has the case on Ebay that I can gut out.

Option 2
I can buy 2 1 or 2U Rack mounted cases and move my existing ESXi build to that and the FreeNas/HTPC to the other case. Then sell my 4U case. This option would free up space on my 12U rack and give me some breathing room but will obviously cost more than the 1st option. What this option what cases should I be looking at brand new and/or what cases are part of a cheap old server I should look at in Ebay.

Any help/suggestions is appreciated.

Last edited:

Remy

Dec 17, 2015
Just looking for assistance on a good case solution that will house both servers
1. ESXi Server Move from 4U to 1U
2. NAS Server 1U Case that houses a Micro ATX and 4 3.5" HDD