Career expansion advice for a "jack of all trades"

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Navy_BOFH, Jul 14, 2016.

1. gigatexal

gigatexal I'm here to learn

best of luck dude, and good luck with pointers. I have re-taken cs 162 (damned linked lists, and pointers, and pointers to pointers) 3 times now.

2. Navy_BOFH

Navy_BOFH Member

Luckily I still have some time before getting into the heavy of the degree. Since I am using my GI Bill, I decided to "start over" and take ALL classes over again, so I can work on a better GPA and learn more efficiently.

Right now I am looking at a "Systems Administrator" opening at TEKsystems here to see if I would be a fit - they're looking for someone to build and maintain new server installs - but list no formal education or experience requirements. Since I have worked around this stuff in all my jobs, I think it's mostly up my alley these days - we shall see.

gigatexal likes this.
  3. Marsh

Marsh Moderator

You are young and a sense of purpose, you will do fine.
    I have made many mistakes in my life, I was broke in my 30’s then retired 40years old.
    I could only offer couple advice.

Grit
    Angela Lee Duckworth: Grit: The power of passion and perseverance | TED Talk | TED.com
    Dream big, blue sky.
    Push yourself out of your comport zone
    , force yourself to do “things” that no one include yourself willing or want to do.

4. gigatexal

gigatexal I'm here to learn

Check out the podcast developer tea. The guy is a genius. I also like the talk python to me podcast. He's a good host and python is just the most beautiful language imho

5. SRussell

SRussell Active Member

Resurrecting another dead thread... How has your progress been?

Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
    Navy_BOFH likes this.
  6. Navy_BOFH

Navy_BOFH Member

As of right now I took a hiatus from the school side of things - but not before grabbing a handful of CompTIA, ITIL, and a few more... and currently working on MCSA and VCP.

Now I am operations engineer for a data center and working my way from Tier 2 to Tier 3 support. My transition away from EE and into IT was pretty smooth... mostly because I was a mainframe operator with an EE education with the Navy.

SRussell likes this.