Career expansion advice for a "jack of all trades"

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Navy_BOFH

Aug 2, 2013
best of luck dude, and good luck with pointers. I have re-taken cs 162 (damned linked lists, and pointers, and pointers to pointers) 3 times now.
Luckily I still have some time before getting into the heavy of the degree. Since I am using my GI Bill, I decided to "start over" and take ALL classes over again, so I can work on a better GPA and learn more efficiently.

Right now I am looking at a "Systems Administrator" opening at TEKsystems here to see if I would be a fit - they're looking for someone to build and maintain new server installs - but list no formal education or experience requirements. Since I have worked around this stuff in all my jobs, I think it's mostly up my alley these days - we shall see.

Reactions: gigatexal

Marsh

May 12, 2013
finding it hard to provide for my family on the current salary.
You are young and a sense of purpose, you will do fine.
I have made many mistakes in my life, I was broke in my 30’s then retired 40years old.
I could only offer couple advice.

Grit
Angela Lee Duckworth: Grit: The power of passion and perseverance | TED Talk | TED.com
Dream big, blue sky.
Push yourself out of your comport zone
, force yourself to do “things” that no one include yourself willing or want to do.

SRussell

Oct 7, 2019
US
Well time to revive my zombie thread...

Ended up enrolling in a bridge program Computer Engineering degree at my local college. Essentially finish my AAS there, with automatic enrollment into University of South Carolina's Computer Engineering program. In the end I am hoping between my work experience and degree I can get to where I want in the IT world but have a good mix of knowledge.

As for current situation, I am hitting the books hard, and even the job boards. I am quickly learning I do not belong in the broadcasting field and finding it hard to provide for my family on the current salary.
Resurrecting another dead thread... How has your progress been?

Last edited:
Reactions: Navy_BOFH

Navy_BOFH

Aug 2, 2013
As of right now I took a hiatus from the school side of things - but not before grabbing a handful of CompTIA, ITIL, and a few more... and currently working on MCSA and VCP.

Now I am operations engineer for a data center and working my way from Tier 2 to Tier 3 support. My transition away from EE and into IT was pretty smooth... mostly because I was a mainframe operator with an EE education with the Navy.

Reactions: SRussell