Can't get Solarstorm SFC9020 / SFN5152F to work under windows 10.

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

techano

Sep 16, 2020
Hello, I got these cards for free and I wanted to give a shot at getting them to work under windows but I have failed every time. Ive tried installing the solarflare drivers provided on their site but the card doesn't show as a network device and just shows that it doesn't have drivers installed. From there I tried windows regular drivers and when they finish installing its an instant bod. Ive tried updating the firmware on the cards as well to no change. I do know the cards work as they work under mac osx and can establish a 10 gig link. Below is a screenshot of what a solarflare system dump looks like. Any help will be appreciated greatly. Thanks!1600765402971.png
1600765457720.png
1600765485737.png

ske4za

Feb 4, 2019
What version of Windows? I have a Server 2019 1809 build with a SFN5122F and the 4.12.0.1008 drivers worked for me (listed as v4.12.1.1025 on their website).

Attachments

tetsujin

Mar 8, 2021
Any update on this? Just got 2 of these cards and I seem to be in the same boat. I tried the drivers from windows and that resulted in constant BSOD until I removed the card and uninstalled the drivers. I also tried the 4.12 from xilinx and same result.
I am running windows 10

Last edited:

techano

Sep 16, 2020
Any update on this? Just got 2 of these cards and I seem to be in the same boat. I tried the drivers from windows and that resulted in constant BSOD until I removed the card and uninstalled the drivers. I also tried the 4.12 from xilinx and same result.
I am running windows 10
Haven't been able to get them to work sadly :/ every time its an instant bsod. I only use them under linux now as that seems to be the only thing that works well with them.

tetsujin

Mar 8, 2021
Well I might have some good news for you! After A LOT of trial and error and BSOD and hitting things...it works! I am writing this connect through the the card! There is a unique set of steps to make it work.
Go to: https://support-nic.xilinx.com/wp/drivers
Go to windows
Go to SFN5000, SFN6000, SFN7000 and SFN8000 series adapters
Download the Windows x64 (64-bit) Driver Package version 4.12 package.
Make sure you card is NOT connected to your computer.
Install this .exe as admin with all options
Once its done don't restart yet.
Disable current network port
Turn off PC
Install the card in your computer DO NOT connect any cables to it! This causes it to pull drivers from windows and f*** it up so we purposely don't want any internet access.
Turn on the PC: hopefully it finally passes the BSOD
Go to device manager
> Network adapters
You should see Solarflare Server Adapter with probably a yellow exclamation point
Right click and update drivers
Browse my computer
Let me pick
It should have you pick the type so go pick network adapter
Then select have disk
Navigate to the drivers installed from the .exe which should be at: C:\Program Files\Solarflare\Solarflare Driver Package
Go into the drivers folder
Select SFN6 go in that folder then click open or ok whatever it says to select that location
Then install the driver and you should be good to go!

Reactions: zedalert

techano

Sep 16, 2020
Well I might have some good news for you! After A LOT of trial and error and BSOD and hitting things...it works! I am writing this connect through the the card! There is a unique set of steps to make it work.
Go to: https://support-nic.xilinx.com/wp/drivers
Go to windows
Go to SFN5000, SFN6000, SFN7000 and SFN8000 series adapters
Download the Windows x64 (64-bit) Driver Package version 4.12 package.
Make sure you card is NOT connected to your computer.
Install this .exe as admin with all options
Once its done don't restart yet.
Disable current network port
Turn off PC
Install the card in your computer DO NOT connect any cables to it! This causes it to pull drivers from windows and f*** it up so we purposely don't want any internet access.
Turn on the PC: hopefully it finally passes the BSOD
Go to device manager
> Network adapters
You should see Solarflare Server Adapter with probably a yellow exclamation point
Right click and update drivers
Browse my computer
Let me pick
It should have you pick the type so go pick network adapter
Then select have disk
Navigate to the drivers installed from the .exe which should be at: C:\Program Files\Solarflare\Solarflare Driver Package
Go into the drivers folder
Select SFN6 go in that folder then click open or ok whatever it says to select that location
Then install the driver and you should be good to go!
What model are you selecting as the driver? The SFN5152F doesn't show up as one of the models when I open the SFN6 folder and select the .inf file in it and I've selected basically every card and it fails to start the device. I know it's a functional card as it works under Linux and Mac os (hackintosh) build.

msg7086

May 2, 2017
I got 2x S7120 and they work flawless, in case anyone cares.

I just have to install the driver, flash the firmware to latest, and put a fan next to the heatsink.

novegg4

Nov 23, 2013
What model are you selecting as the driver? The SFN5152F doesn't show up as one of the models when I open the SFN6 folder and select the .inf file in it and I've selected basically every card and it fails to start the device. I know it's a functional card as it works under Linux and Mac os (hackintosh) build.
Were you able to make your 5152F work?
Got exactly same thing - two single port cards from same ebay seller (different batches) ->
10G link fully working under ubuntu and "device driver cannot start" under Win 7, Win 10, Server 2008 R2.

msg7086

May 2, 2017
From my experience (on S7120), there are 2 things to do before making it work.

1. Flash the latest firmware

2. Keep the chip cool and not overheat

If you just got your card, check if firmware is latest. I had issues until I flashed it.

novegg4

Nov 23, 2013
From my experience (on S7120), there are 2 things to do before making it work.

1. Flash the latest firmware

2. Keep the chip cool and not overheat

If you just got your card, check if firmware is latest. I had issues until I flashed it.
7120 is absolutely different story - I got one at same time as 5152.
The dual port one worked right from the box - recognized in W7, self-updated FW, etc.

Also, for some reason the .inf file in the SFN6 folder being referred before DOESN'T contain 5152 at all.
Maybe the card is proprietary OEM version (made for IBM, HP or Dell) - why else it is not even included in the .inf adapters list?

techano

Sep 16, 2020
7120 is absolutely different story - I got one at same time as 5152.
The dual port one worked right from the box - recognized in W7, self-updated FW, etc.

Also, for some reason the .inf file in the SFN6 folder being referred before DOESN'T contain 5152 at all.
Maybe the card is proprietary OEM version (made for IBM, HP or Dell) - why else it is not even included in the .inf adapters list?
Hey sorry I haven't really checked this thread but I did end up getting it to work. I don't remember the exact driver I selected but I will get back to you tomorrow!

techano

Sep 16, 2020
Look forward, thank you!
So I got it to work for a bit then I rebooted and instant blue screen and now the same driver is just not working. I followed the instructions of tetsujin and after selecting "I have a disk" and clicking the on sfn6 folder and selecting the .inf file in there I then selected solarflare under manufacture and then "Solareflare server adapter" thats what worked for me before I rebooted. Super confusing to get this specific model card to work on windows 10.

novegg4

Nov 23, 2013
Thank you for the details.
The biggest problem was that I never "got it to work" (except under Ubuntu installed for test separately).
Win7 x64 here, no BSODs, but the 5152 NICs have constantly been refusing any driver I tried to feed to it.

Summary: all that mess was not really worth it.
The piece of junk named 5152 was $15, while the cheapest available MCX311A was $35-$40
$20 difference is ridiculous saving for days of wasted time.

techano

Sep 16, 2020
Thank you for the details.
The biggest problem was that I never "got it to work" (except under Ubuntu installed for test separately).
Win7 x64 here, no BSODs, but the 5152 NICs have constantly been refusing any driver I tried to feed to it.

Summary: all that mess was not really worth it.
The piece of junk named 5152 was $15, while the cheapest available MCX311A was $35-$40
$20 difference is ridiculous saving for days of wasted time.
Fully agree, at this point I'm using these cards for Linux only and I'm going to get one that is known working for windows. If I ever figure something out I'll for sure add an update to this thread but as of now, there has been no full way to get these cards to work under windows reliably.

techano

Sep 16, 2020
Would like to say this did manage to get it to work! Some issues at times where windows decides to randomly override the drivers with their own but for the most part it works flawlessly!

Edit: to stop windows from overriding the drivers constantly I followed this tutorial and have had zero issues after doing so. Thanks for all the help guys!

Last edited: