Cannot enter BIOS setup on X11SRA

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

nabsltd

Jan 26, 2022
I've already opened a case with Supermicro, but maybe somebody here has an idea.

MB revision: 1.02 (read that older can't handle W-2275 without VRM upgrade)
CPU: W-2275 SRGSP
RAM: 4x16GB registered ECC (MTA18ASF2G72PDZ-3G2E1), and also tried with just one stick

The X11SRA shipped with BIOS version 2.4. At first power, I could not enter the BIOS setup...the DEL key did nothing, and hitting the F11 key to specify a boot device caused the system to hang with the code "A9" in the lower right corner. After searching, I found that clearing the CMOS could fix this issue, so I removed power, removed the battery and shorted the clear CMOS jumper. After re-installing the battery, when I powered back on, I was able to enter BIOS setup using the DEL key. I could change settings and they would be saved correctly. The system would boot off drives that I connected. But, I again could not enter BIOS setup or use F11 to pick a boot device.

I then upgraded the BIOS to version 2.4a to see if this would fix the issue. It did not. Clearing CMOS again fixed the issue, but only for the first boot. I have now cleared the CMOS nearly a dozen times, and every time it is the same, where I can enter BIOS only on the first boot.

I changed the video card and tried using VGA instead of HDMI, because I read that video could be part of the issue, and when I was able to enter BIOS setup, the video was a different mode and did not fill the 1920x1080 screen. When I cannot enter BIOS, the screen is filled.

I did read in this post about problems with POST and booting on the X11SRA, but I don't have that issue.

Other than the required power cables, the CPU fan, and the keyboard, I now have nothing plugged into the motherboard, thinking that there might be some issue with connected devices. This still does not fix the problem.

In theory, I can use the motherboard by getting everything set the way I want in one BIOS config session, but then any change will require the same clear and start over.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
i have an X11SRA Rev.1.01 BIOS 2.1 and had not such problems. recently sold all CPUs for it and the board is now laying unused arround.

Last edited:

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
the X11SRA has a PS/2 jack, have you used the USB2 under that for the KBD ?
disable fast boot if available.

nabsltd

Jan 26, 2022
i have an X11SRA Rev.1.01 BIOS 2.1 and had not such problems. recently sold all CPUs for it and the board is now laying unused arround.
I'm pretty far beyond stumped at this point. I've tried different keyboards (USB and PS2), monitors, video cards, power supplies, etc. I even moved the jumper to disable the non-existent on-board VGA.
The only common features in all the tests is the power distributor for the hot swap supplies, the motherboard, the CPU, the CPU cooler and fan, the RAM (although I have varied the amount) and the minimum set of cables to connect everything together.

nabsltd

Jan 26, 2022
if the end is an RMA what about check with BIOS 2.1 ?
Does that version support the W-2275? If so, I'll give it a shot, but I can't find a changelog, and I don't want to effectively brick the board, since that's the only CPU I have.

The default on the BIOS is disabled fast boot, but it's still pretty fast. I cleared CMOS again and set a 5 second delay on the screen, and when I hit DEL it flashes the "Entering BIOS Setup..." and then immediately boots the first device it finds from the boot list.

I had checked the Manufacturing Mode jumper (JPME2) pretty much the first thing. It is on pins 1-2 as it should be.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Does that version support the W-2275? If so, I'll give it a shot, but I can't find a changelog
yes of course. all microcode are there.
my board takes a looooooooooong time for DDR4 training on cold boot(AC loss). some people may think that's a bug.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
I cleared CMOS again and set a 5 second delay on the screen, and when I hit DEL it flashes the "Entering BIOS Setup..." and then immediately boots the first device it finds from the boot list.
that is indeed a BUG, not correct behaviour

nabsltd

Jan 26, 2022
my board takes a looooooooooong time for DDR4 training on cold boot(AC loss).
I noticed the same thing. From full power off (cord unplugged), the fans spin up with no video and you wait. Then you hear what you think is the boot beep, but immediately after that, the fans spin down for 2-3 seconds and the power LED on the board goes out. Then, the system warm boots normally...power LED comes on, fans spin up, and normal POST and boot.

oneplane

Jul 23, 2021
This might be two longshots but:

1. If you disconnect all storage it should prevent booting and allow you to return to setup
2. Most SuperMicro firmwares also output over serial, if you have a serial header you might be able to use that; if that works it could be a UEFI fast boot thing where it simply doesn't init USB HID and thus ignores input once it has a boot device configured

nabsltd

Jan 26, 2022
1. If you disconnect all storage it should prevent booting and allow you to return to setup
2. Most SuperMicro firmwares also output over serial, if you have a serial header you might be able to use that; if that works it could be a UEFI fast boot thing where it simply doesn't init USB HID and thus ignores input once it has a boot device configured
No storage is connected anymore. It "boots" into the UEFI shell. If I disable that, I get the "insert bootable disk" error message.
I'm using a PS/2 keyboard right now, and I have fast boot disabled (which is also the default). The screen acknowledges that I have hit DEL ("Entering Setup..." is displayed), and the system hangs if I hit F11 (for the boot menu), so I'm pretty sure the keyboard is being recognized.

nabsltd

Jan 26, 2022
Supermicro sent me an updated BIOS which fixed the problem. It still reports as version 2.4a in the BIOS, but there are obvious changes. Before, "quiet boot" enabled or disabled didn't appear any different. Now, "quiet boot" shows a Supermicro logo picture, and disabled it has the same graphical video mode, but the normal text BIOS displayed. It seems like this was some sort of video initialization error, since that video mode was what I got on first boot before, but subsequent boots had a different mode and I couldn't enter the BIOS.

The name on the BIOS file is X11SRA_T202111301912.ROM, so it appears to have been updated about 2 months after the official 2 2.4a release of 09/15/2021.

I have the BIOS file saved so if anybody else has the error and Supermicro hasn't put the fix on their site, I can send it to you via PM.

Reactions: Angus and oneplane