Canadian requiring assistance purchasing some items off ebay due to exhorborant shipping

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

manxam

Jul 25, 2015
Hi Guys, I have $35 worth of small cabled in my basket on eBay but none of them are available from the same vendor. Each vendor wants more than twice the price of the cable for shipping to Canada with shipping costs being $42 for $35 and 1lbs worth of cables.

I tried Amazon Canada but most want way too much for the cables, extra freight, and are 2+ weeks away.

Is there any kind soul willing to appropriate some cables for me and send them my way? I have a US -> Canada UPS and Fedex account and will pay costs up front via Paypal.

What I'm looking for is:

2x 8-pin ATX extension cables
1x 24-pin ATX extension cable
1x Supermicro CBL-0068L
1x Supermicro CBL-084L

Any assistance that can be provided would be very much appreciated.

nk215

Oct 6, 2015
if you can provide me the exact link for each cable. I can buy them and send them your way. From a quick look on amazon, it looks like all those cable are free shipping within the US. I've never shipped anything to Canada but I don't think it would be that expensive for just a bunch of cables.

pyro_

Oct 4, 2013
One tip for you get then shipped up usps not UPS or FedEx as the brokerage fees will kill you. USPS mail does not have any brokerage fees and if the value is under 100$ will normally be let through without any kind of taxes at all

manxam

Jul 25, 2015
Thank you @nk215, I'll go to Amazon.com and see if I can find all that I need and PM you. Even shipping via USPS for a small parcel shouldn't exceed $20 for the lot. I've had complete servers shipped for $80. eBay vendors often jack the price of shipping to Canada. For example, one of those cables is $13 but they want $17.50 to ship. This could go into a USPS envelope at a cost of about $8.

If I could source it all from one vendor and play one time for shipping it would be OK but paying for the part + 1.5x for shipping on each just seems ridiculous.

Pyro, thanks for the advise but when dealing with Amazon and eBay I'm stuck with whomever they ship with. I have flat rate brokerage for UPS and Fedex and duty, if charged, is never more than 6% which is manageable.

I am, however, totally OK with USPS if it's more convenient for the shipper.

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
looks like nk215 has got it. but if for some reason that doesn't work out, i can help too... fellow Canadian here, but living in the US.

sfbayzfs

May 6, 2015
SF Bay area
I have been shipping a few things to Canada recently for people on the forum recently :)

The bad news is the USPS rates are pretty high - ~$25 for a small flat rate Priority box (the one that fits a VHS tape) and ~$44 for the medium flat rate box that fits a Micro ATX motherboard nicely, and a 54 LB 2U server cost $150 to send Priority international. The online USPS clicknship doesn't let you ship First Class package international to Canada like it does to other countries, only Priority Mail, I'm not sure why, but there's a chance it is only possible in person, and you might get a slightly cheaper rate.

The good news is that there is no tarriff for computer parts sent from the US to Canada, you just have to document it. The first motherboard I sent to Canada I tried Fedex Ground, and it was something like $2 cheaper than USPS would have been using my Fedex account (anyone can get one, and the rates are ~25% cheaper than regular - I got it when family was moving, and it has come in handy since) but they had no gift option so I had to fill out lots of customs forms and commercial invoices with tarriff numbers and measurements and such, and print and sign at least 5 copies of it! USPS is much easier for international shipments, since they have the 1-copy easy to fill out customs form that doubles as the postage.

manxam

Jul 25, 2015
Thank you for all of your assistance STH and for, once again, proving what an awesome bunch of guys you are. I just found out that my friend is leaving tomorrow on business to the US and will be back in a week. He'll purchase these items for me and then bring them back.

trinivibes

Jul 4, 2016
manxam, I often use package forwarding services in buffalo that will send to Toronto for example. Depends on where you are. If you're in Toronto, pm me I can give you a recommendation on a company

wardtj

Jan 23, 2015
Hi Guys, I have $35 worth of small cabled in my basket on eBay but none of them are available from the same vendor. Each vendor wants more than twice the price of the cable for shipping to Canada with shipping costs being $42 for $35 and 1lbs worth of cables.

I tried Amazon Canada but most want way too much for the cables, extra freight, and are 2+ weeks away.

Is there any kind soul willing to appropriate some cables for me and send them my way? I have a US -> Canada UPS and Fedex account and will pay costs up front via Paypal.

What I'm looking for is:

2x 8-pin ATX extension cables
1x 24-pin ATX extension cable
1x Supermicro CBL-0068L
1x Supermicro CBL-084L

Any assistance that can be provided would be very much appreciated.
Sounds like you are putting a non Super micro board in a Supermicro case. Been there done that lots up here.

Before you ask others to ship you can find the extension cables for as little as 5$ at Newegg and NCIX.

The Supermicro cables, try CDW.ca. I ordered the exact same stuff in Canada 6 months ago. The 84L is a precious darling as it's rare. I recommend buying more than one.

Do not call Supermicro... They will charge 85$ since all they know is priority next day shipping which sucks.

Good luck! If you need some help I can point you to eBay sellers I used for the 84L which did not cost me an arm and leg...

manxam

Jul 25, 2015
Funny, while I usually hit up Newegg and NCIX I completely overlooked them for these little items. I have no idea why!
The good news is that my friend has returned with all of the parts that I requested and I'll be attempting this tomorrow. Looking forward to putting my Dell x10 generation servers to bed and amalgamating them into one server that should replace them all.

Thanks for everyone's assistance once again. You guys are always helpful!