Can the Supermicro X10SLM-F use non-ECC RAM

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Kanedo

Aug 1, 2014
Hi,

I just ordered a Supermicro X10SLM-F motherboard.

If I get a Xeon E3-1240v3, must I use ECC memory?
Will non-ECC DDR3 work as well?
I have two sticks of non-ECC DDR3 lying around that I'd like to use if possible.

Thanks.

Pri

Jul 30, 2014
You can use Non-ECC memory in this motherboard and with that CPU. It will work fine and obviously just the ECC feature will be disabled.

Kanedo

Aug 1, 2014
Great!!! That's exactly what I wanted to hear. Thanks for the confirmation.

Pri

Jul 30, 2014
Just keep in mind their Memory testing only includes ECC modules so you'd be using memory they have not tested with the motherboard. It should still be fine but it's important to note.

Kanedo

Aug 1, 2014
I just installed a E3-1275v3 along with a pair of Crucial non-ECC DDR3. I can get video on screen, but it will not POST past code 55. At which point, the system beeps 4 times and reboots. Has anyone actually gotten non-ECC memory to work with this generation of Supermicro boards?

Pri

Jul 30, 2014
Have you tried just a single stick? I've read the manual for this motherboard (as I did before my original reply) and it said you "should" be using ECC but it did not make any references to it being a requirement, more a recommendation.

I've never seen a board that requires ECC on the 1156, 1155 or 1150 socket. Possibly a general incompatibility?

Kanedo

Aug 1, 2014
Yes, I've tried a single stick in different slots. Same result. Reboots at post code 55 and beeps 4 times.

I just ordered a single stick of DDR3 1333 2GB ECC Unbuffered, and I'll see if it will boot with the ECC module.

This is rather disappointing since I have plenty of 4GB and 8GB non-ECC DDR3 modules lying around.

Kanedo

Aug 1, 2014
So I got my ECC UDIMM DDR3 installed and the system booted right away.
The X10SLM-F absolutely will NOT work with non-ECC memory with a Xeon processor. I'd imagine similar Supermicro boards in this series will not either.

Perhaps if someone modifed the BIOS, it can probably work.

Mindrunner

Sep 16, 2014
Sorry to hear that. Would have been a great buy because of it's KVM over IP.
Are you selling your 4GB non-ECC DDR3 sticks by any chance ?

Pri

Jul 30, 2014
Kanedo I'm so sorry that I mislead you by saying non-ECC would work with this motherboard. This was an honest mistake on my part based on prior experiences with different motherboards by other manufacturers and it's clear to me now that SuperMicro is much more stringent with what they say work with their boards.

I hope my bad advice didn't financially burden you too much with this build, apologies again.

spyrule

I've just experienced the same problem with the Supermicro a1sai-2550f motherboard, didn't explicitly not say ecc only, so I used some existing non ecc sodimms I had, only not to boot past code 15. Sadly SM confirms this mobo is ecc only. I suspect this is the case with many of thier motherboards.