Can´t initialize 3.84TB sas drives

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ScrapHardware

Jan 26, 2024
Hi
When we took down a DELL EMC SAN I found some DELL/Toshiba 3.84TB 12gbps SSD drives model PX04SRB384
I have a LSI SAS 9300-16I 12GB/S HBA BUS controller and tried 3 to 4 different cables but cant initialize drives.
In Linux USB Boot,TrueNAS and Windows I can see drives as 2,9 TB drives but cant initialize.
I was thinking its a DELL firmware thing and close to give up on 4 disks.
Can it be some cable issue ore other OS can do it,

Best regards
Andreas

SloppyDisk

Jul 18, 2023
I did have issues seeing some Toshiba PX04 12G SAS3 SSDs in an R330 (13th gen dell). PERC H330 card would see it in the BIOS but would not pass through to any linux os. My best guess was the Hitachi firmware?? potentially on the disks. They were some really low health (~60% or less) SSDs that I was trying to test. Could see the disks in an older Supermicro 4U Server and access them fine...

Good luck, hopefully you can figure it out.

SloppyDisk

Jul 18, 2023
Hi
When we took down a DELL EMC SAN I found some DELL/Toshiba 3.84TB 12gbps SSD drives model PX04SRB384
I have a LSI SAS 9300-16I 12GB/S HBA BUS controller and tried 3 to 4 different cables but cant initialize drives.
In Linux USB Boot,TrueNAS and Windows I can see drives as 2,9 TB drives but cant initialize.
I was thinking its a DELL firmware thing and close to give up on 4 disks.
Can it be some cable issue ore other OS can do it,

Best regards
Andreas
I got another batch of these again, yet again poor health. Only 77% for the entire lot. I miss the 1.6TB HGST drives, those were tanks, still at 93% after multiple PBW.

Hope you figured this out!

ScrapHardware

Jan 26, 2024
Worked like a charm and disks are online now
U are the best thanks a milion you saved some super bites from become ewaste