Can someone recommend me a zero client to work with VMware and use a RJ45 network port?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

nk215

Oct 6, 2015
Can someone recommend me a zero client to work with VMware and use a RJ45 network port? It looks like there are 10 zero client that use SFP for everyone that uses RJ45. Why is that?

Thanks

NK

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
I use HP T310's (RJ-45 GigE variant), Wyse P25/P45's may be worth a look as well. 10zig makes some as well.

Last edited:

NetWise

Jun 29, 2012
Edmonton, AB, Canada
Second the HP t310/t410. I don't know where you were looking to find the SFP ones, they're pretty uncommon in my experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nk215

Oct 6, 2015
The T310 works well. I am very impressed with the performance vs power usage.

Here's a question: I don't have Horizon View Connect Server so I use direct connection using the IP address of the guest VM to connect to it. Is there away to use name instead of the IP address?

Is there a way to configure the T310 so that it auto connect to a specific IP/Guest VM? That way, the only prompt is the username/password.

NetWise, if you look into ebay and seatch for T310, you'll see all SFP units (zoom into the picture to check out).

Thanks

NetWise

Jun 29, 2012
Edmonton, AB, Canada
I just looked at the first dozen that came up in a quick search. The first was a 'replacement unit' that indicated it had SFP. All the rest use the same identical stock photo from HP and indicate they're RJ45. Except those that are C3G79AT and indicate they're SFP. When in doubt, search by the MFR P/N:.

Using VMware Horizon 7 Direct Connect -- Virtualization Review
That should let you get connected directly. You should be able to use the DNS name as long as it is resolvable by the client.

I've always used the admin server to do configuration, but you should be able to set a connection at the desktop to auto login to a particular configuration.

nk215

Oct 6, 2015
I just looked at the first dozen that came up in a quick search. The first was a 'replacement unit' that indicated it had SFP. All the rest use the same identical stock photo from HP and indicate they're RJ45. Except those that are C3G79AT and indicate they're SFP. When in doubt, search by the MFR P/N:.

Using VMware Horizon 7 Direct Connect -- Virtualization Review
That should let you get connected directly. You should be able to use the DNS name as long as it is resolvable by the client.

I've always used the admin server to do configuration, but you should be able to set a connection at the desktop to auto login to a particular configuration.
Are you searching in ebay? My ebay search skill must be severely lacking. I search for "T310 thin client" and :T310 zero client" and the list pretty much shows up with all C3C79AT for the first few pages.

I have direct connect setup. The question I ask is instead of using the IP address in the horizon client or the T310 unit, I would like to type in the name such as "alpha" in the IP field. It doesn't look possible at the moment.

On a PC, I can have Horizon Client auto connects to certain IP, but on the T310, I can't find that option.