Can SATA drives be placed in SAS-NVMe slots?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

TrumanHW

Sep 16, 2018
System: Dell R7450 with 24x SFF slots supporting NVMe

I know SATA can be used in regular SAS slots.
I know SFF-8639 for NVMe are the exact same as a SAS slot ...
Except having x4 the bandwidth for NVMe

I'd just rather not assume anything and ask (the knowledgeable expert) members here able to confirm this.

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
Can SATA drives be placed in SAS-NVMe slots?
In general or specific to that system? (btw I can't find anything with that part number)
The general answer is "it depends".
Bellow is a picture of possible backplane layouts: sata only (top left), sata + sas (top right), sata + sas + nvme (bottom)

Whs "it depends": some vendors route only the pcie pins to the backside (nvme only backplanes), others route the sata + sas to multilane sas ports and the pcie port to a occulink port.

Except having x4 the bandwidth for NVMe
u.2/3 and m.2 ssds (usually)* aggregate 4 serial links and so does a sas multilan port. with sas4 (24GBit/s) a sas multilane port provides more total bandwidth at lower latencies than pcie 4.0 (16 GBit/s) ssds :D

*becuase there are some ssds with 2 two pcie lanes

TrumanHW

Sep 16, 2018
General answer: "it depends"

That's a great graphic.

I think what I'll do is look up the Dell Service Tag, get the backplane PN and see the PNs details.

Thank you both for the help (definitely keeping that graphic).

TrumanHW

Sep 16, 2018
In case this ever is relevant to anyone else ...

There's another cable that I believe connects a segment of the backplane (8 drives) to a SAS card ...
I'll update this after I've done it (need to order the cables).