Can Intel onboard SATA reduce speed?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Hexenhammer

Dec 13, 2019
Hi,
On my current PC z370 Gigabyte AORUS Gamer 7 motherboard [its the previous dumb name for the Master series], I have 6 SATA, 4 have HDDs, one has Boot SSD and 6th is set to esata mode and pluged into simple box with SATA port to plug external HDDs and SSDs.
I pluged EVO60 4TB into it and benchmarked an d it always does maximum 280Mb read, the SSD is fine i tested with USB 3.0 to SATA adapter and it run at 450MB, so im sure if ill plug it into normal SATA port it will run full speed.
What can be the reason for such slow speed? Is it because every SATA port is populated?
Or because the box is SATA 2 [but the box is dumb devise that only forwards the sata signal from the cable to the connector]

Any ideas?

Marsh

May 12, 2013
Download freeware CrystalDiskInfo
Is it connected as SATA 2 vs SATA 3 speed

Hexenhammer

Dec 13, 2019
Download freeware CrystalDiskInfo
Is it connected as SATA 2 vs SATA 3 speed
Thanks for the obvious Tip, im stupid LOL
I have Hard Disk Sentinel program, it shows SATA Gen3, AHCI Intel BUT other line reads: Negotiated Transfer Speed SATA II 3 Gbps
Any idea whats the reason for this?

EDIT: Tested 3 other SSDs, all the same, SATA II negotiated speed.

Last edited:

Hexenhammer

Dec 13, 2019
Do you have a link or picture of "this 5.25 sata box" ?
My best guess the "sata box" is the problem.
Could you ran a cable direct between host port and SSD sata port?
I got it in 2017 unbranded from ebay, cant point to same seller but here it is sold by otehrs
Internal Single Bay Tray-Less Mobile Rack Enclosure for 2.5" 3.5" SATA HDD SSD | eBay

Internal Single Bay Mobile Rack Enclosure With LED Indicator Light Support B6z9 for sale online | eBay

Its just a simple passtrough

TXAG26

Aug 2, 2016
Just a guess, but maybe the lengths of all the cables and adapters the signal is going through makes it drop to SATA 2 speeds?