Can I start off with 2x8GB sticks for dual Haswell Xeons?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Kneelbeforezod

Sep 4, 2015
I have a pair of 2696V3s Coming and was wondeirng if i can start with 16 gb 2x8gb and then add another two later or more. Enough to boot, load the OS, get up and running etc.

Rapturoso

Jan 22, 2017
I have a pair of 2696V3s Coming and was wondeirng if i can start with 16 gb 2x8gb and then add another two later or more. Enough to boot, load the OS, get up and running etc.
Yes. Simple answer.

Complicated answer:

You'll only be using dual channel mode so half memory bandwidth.

For quad channel you can use 4 sticks.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX
Since the price of DDR4 has been crazy lately,
I just got 2 x 16gb sticks - 1 for each of my V3 builds. It will work just not at the optimal performance.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Rapturoso

Jan 22, 2017
Since the price of DDR4 has been crazy lately,
I just got 2 x 16gb sticks - 1 for each of my V3 builds. It will work just not at the optimal performance.

If you're thinking of using the memory on a dual processor board I fear you'll be running in single channel mode. Each processor should have 4 or 8 slots for memory. If you just populate one processor with that memory in dual channel mode the second processor won't have access to any memory. You will either need to settle for single channel mode if your motherboard supports single modules or you will need pairs for each processor to at least get two channel mode, so 4 sticks across the two processors, a pair for each CPU arranged in the respective slots.

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX
If you're thinking of using the memory on a dual processor board I fear you'll be running in single channel mode. Each processor should have 4 or 8 slots for memory. If you just populate one processor with that memory in dual channel mode the second processor won't have access to any memory. You will either need to settle for single channel mode if your motherboard supports single modules or you will need pairs for each processor to at least get two channel mode, so 4 sticks across the two processors, a pair for each CPU arranged in the respective slots.

Thanks, I didn't see your previous response to OP on my phone. I know the I'm severely limiting memory bandwidth but this is my homelab just got it running with one DIMM and planning to add it over time.

Rapturoso

Jan 22, 2017
Thanks, I didn't see your previous response to OP on my phone. I know the I'm severely limiting memory bandwidth but this is my homelab just got it running with one DIMM and planning to add it over time.

You have the option of only populating 1 processor slot on a dual CPU motherboard so that you can use dual channel mode on one CPU. Check functionality with 1 CPU in CPU socket A (0) and arrange the memory in dual channel mode, usually alternate slots (of the same colour) arranging in memory slot A(0) and C(2) or B (1) and D (3) for dual channel memory on one processor. Most if not all dual CPU boards have 4 or more slots for memory per CPU. You will not be able to use the PCIe lanes that are attached to the second CPU slot but your board will be functional and work fine with the PCIe lanes that are attached to the first CPU slot.

Kneelbeforezod

Sep 4, 2015
I'm planning getting 2x8GB Micron 2400 Sticks - with V3 Xeons this should work right it will just run at 213 because of the V3s

Rapturoso

Jan 22, 2017
I'm planning getting 2x8GB Micron 2400 Sticks - with V3 Xeons this should work right it will just run at 213 because of the V3s
I have 2400MHz memory running on v4 CPUs. They are currently only running at 2133MHz because the E5 model I use doesn't support 2400MHz. I got the memory for a modest price back in February. I will eventually upgrade to CPUs that support 2400MHz.

Kneelbeforezod

Sep 4, 2015
The 2 sticks of 2400 DDR4 works just fine and runs at 2133. For me to get full quad channel do i add 2 more sticks and what happens if fill all the blue slots? Thanks