Can I connect server to CX-4 on back of D-Link DGS-3420 switch?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by AveryFreeman, Jul 2, 2018.

1. AveryFreeman

AveryFreeman ESXi + ( BSD / ZFS ) = HAPPY

Hi,

I was just wondering if it's possible to connect a server directly to the back of a DGS-3420 switch, it has two CX-4 connectors on the back that I know can be used for stacking switches together, but I wasn't sure if it could also be used for server connectivity.

If anyone has any experience with these switches and doing this sort of thing I'd appreciate their feedback. I have absolutely 0% experience with any 10G+ networks.

Thanks!

2. Zuhkov

Zuhkov New Member

Not familiar with that particular switch, but I did exactly this with an LB4 switch that has 4 CX-4 ports. Used Myricom 10G cards and DACs to connect them to the switch. Eventually moved to a newer switch with SFP+ due to the noise, but it worked quite well for several years. Critical question is whether the DGS-3420 supports the use of those ports for that purpose.

Edit: if this describes the module you have, it would appear the answer is yes, you can connect servers to the switch via these ports: ftp://ftp.dlinkla.com/pub/DEM-420CX/DATASHEET-DEM-410420CX_02.pdf

Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
  3. fohdeesha

fohdeesha Active Member

4. AveryFreeman

Hmmm... cool. But then, I want to go from Firewall/Gateway w/ Chelsio S310E-CXA --->> DGS-3427 10GbE Uplink #1 --->> DGS-3427 10GbE Uplink #2 --->> CX-4 to SFP+ cable --->> ProSafe XS708E 10GbE SFP+ Uplink --->> 10GBase-T Clients

Does that setup make sense?

5. fohdeesha

fohdeesha Active Member

If you can find a cx4 to SFP+ cable for not a bajillion dollars, sure. They tend to be a little costly though as they're "specialty items" in my experience

6. AveryFreeman

I found one for $50 here:

CX4 with Ejectors to SFP+ | DataStorageCables

But I have no idea if it's electrically compatible. For all I know it just has the right ends.

After seeing all these specialty 'media converter' devices that sell for hundreds of dollars, I'm experiencing a little PTSD.

I'll email them and see what they say...

The other option is CX-4 to 10Gbase-T (RJ45) ... but must chain using ASIC devices.

The internets tell me my original idea of having a gateway server bridging both SFP+ and CX-4 would be slow AF.

7. fohdeesha

fohdeesha Active Member

CX4 electrically is 4x serial lanes of 2.5gbps each, and SFP+ is electrically 1 serial lane @ 10gbps. They would need some type of SERDES chip in there I would imagine to serialize and de-serialize the 1 giant lane from the SFP+ connection into 4x separate serial streams

but who knows I've been wrong before

AveryFreeman likes this.
  8. AveryFreeman

That's very interesting, I had no idea. I've never worked with any 10GbE equipment before. Do you think going from 10GBase-T to CX-4 would be cheaper/easier?