Can ESXi 8 do some kind of power saving?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

giu1io

Apr 12, 2023
Hi,

I’m running ESXi 8 on one of those fanless no-name boxes with an Intel N5105. I haven’t yet had chance to check how much power it’s drawing from the wall, however it feels pretty warm even ant idle with no VMs running.

I was wondering if ESXi supports some kind of power saving on these kind of CPUs (maybe c-states or p-states?) or if it’s running all the cores at the maximum frequency all the time.

Thank you for your help.

giu1io

Apr 12, 2023
Yes, ESXi can do some power savings if you allow to do so in BIOS. See https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-v...UID-4D1A6F4A-8C99-47C1-A8E6-EF3865603F5B.html
Thank you for your help! I’ve managed to check the power draw for the unit and it’s around what they were seeing in the STH videos (10-11W idle). I’ve tried playing with the setting you linked me to: setting “Low Power” mode shaves off 2-3 W of consumption but really hurts performance, so I’ll just leave on ”Balanced”. I tried booting Ubuntu from an external drive and that uses 9W at idle. I think the difference, all things considered, is fine.

But have in mind: Type 1 Hypervisors are NOT designed to idle at low power consumption. They are optimised to deliver good performance at load.
If a server spent lot of time in iddle status then the server was improperly designed!
Thanks for the heads up. I went with an hypervisor because I want to run multiple services on it, including something like Plex so I chose a CPU that was slightly more powerful. Of course I won’t be transcoding files all-the-time, but finger crossed I didn‘t design the server improperly since it’s my first one.