Can C6100 take SD card to setup FreeNAS

Discussion in 'Hard Drives and Solid State Drives' started by uberguru, Aug 4, 2013.

1. uberguru

uberguru Member

I am thinking of setting up a FreeNAS storage and was wondering if the C6100 can take SD card to install FreeNAS onto or what is everyone using for their FreeNAS setup? I am definitely not using usb flash drive because it just looks stupid having something pointed out of the server.

2. xnoodle

xnoodle Active Member

3. uberguru

uberguru Member

4. NetWise

NetWise Active Member

5. dba

dba Moderator

If you are using a SAS mezzanine card, or if you have a 12-bay c6100, then you have unused SATA ports on the motherboard. It is then possible to wire the internal motherboard USB header to provide power to a 2.5" SATA SSD drive. The drive can be mounted either in the PCI slot area or in the mezzanine card area.

6. uberguru

uberguru Member

7. BThunderW

BThunderW Active Member

8. uberguru

uberguru Member

9. wyluliraven

wyluliraven Member

Honestly, those KingSpec aren't bad, but they are a little pokey. I'm a huge fan of these Emphase devices. SATA Flash Modules

10. RimBlock

RimBlock Member

11. dba

dba Moderator

I made a mount for an SSD drive that attaches to the chassis in the space where a mezzanine card would go. I then created a custom cable that routed power from the internal USB header to a SATA power cable. It worked perfectly and looked quite nice, but was WAY too much effort. In the end, I just went with 8GB and larger USB keys as my boot devices. For lab use I have 12 of them on a ring that I can use to boot just about any OS.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2013
  12. wyluliraven

wyluliraven Member

13. RimBlock

RimBlock Member

Np. Came across them a while ago for mITX projects but have never used them yet. They do seem to have quite a few 'hard to find' adapters though.

RB

14. tiporaro

tiporaro New Member

Am I reading it wrong, or isn't the mSATA pcie adapter there full height? I remember looking for these a while back and being disappointed, but if they come in a low profile that'll fit the 6100s that'd be awesome.

15. ColdCanuck

ColdCanuck Member

I have a MP3S. Look at the pictures and remember a msata drive is only 30 mm wide. I have mine in a full height slot, but it came with both LP and full height brackets.

In the US you can order from Amazon; international buy from Mfactors. http://www.mfactors.com/mp3s-msata-to-sata-adapter-for-pcie-slot/. The pictures are with the LP bracket

16. dba

dba Moderator

ColdCanuck, that's a great find - a PCIe card that provides power to an mSATA drive and converts its output to standard SATA! That's a great way to add another drive to a Dell c6100.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
  17. ColdCanuck

ColdCanuck Member

Better yet it uses the on board sata ports. No driver madness with funky bridge chips for WHATEVER OS you are using. Of course the downside is if your MB only has SATA 3Gb, then that's how fast you go. Not a huge issue for me, 200+ MB/s is plenty fast for my OS drive. I'm using mine in a C1100.

A point to note: the card comes with Kapton tape over the gold edge connectors; it's easy to miss because it's gold colored. ( I know I did ). It works much better if you remove it first!