CacheCade EEPROM chip on Raid Card

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

minimini

Sep 9, 2016
So we have read on the forum that hardware key to activate CacheCade can be pain in the neck for the reason that little key is validated by small EEPROM chip just next to CacheCade connector.

Each manufacturer has it's own code in that EEPROM so that keys can't be exchanged. I tried LSI key on crossflashed IBM and it didn't work.

1) So, theoretically; I have old broken sas cards on which cachecade key that worked. Could I de-solder that little EEPROM from old broken card and solder it on a new RAID card ?? would it fool the bios/controller or it would be rejected....

2) Has anyone ever used any hardware to read content of that EEORPM, if so, which one ? What's inside that EEPROM, just a serial number or some micro code that gets executed by SoC chip ?

3) questions (1) and (2) were about hardware keys, this is about software keys, can software licenses be exchanged, can I purchase LSI 00293 and install it on ibm 5210 ?? (since ibm5210 is variant of LSI 9361 and crossflashing worked like a charm) ?

any info on that eeprom is welcome. TY everyone.

PS: I own IBM software licenses for CacheCade, but I can't activate them on my M2 old IBM server, and I am fedup of support ping-pong they do with me, so I decided for more radical approach. I hope no one is offended by this question.