[Build help] Home pc for CAD and othe uses

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Ingeniare

Jun 11, 2015
Hello everyone, I'm a student and this is what I'm looking forward to assembling for my first time. If anyone could look over this and critique it? I don't know if you guys help with builds or not, but it will be much appreciated.

Intended use: I'm looking to build a workstation pc primarily for these CAD programs AutoCAD, Inventor and SolidWorks. Also for school and general use. I'd like it to support up to 2-3 monitors and a 1080p @120hz hdtv.
Might play some games like SW Battlefront, ESO Skyrim-Present, Fallout 3-present, Battlefields.

Budget: within $1200-$2000 possibly.

C612 build:

CPU: E5-1620V3 ~$300
MOBO: Supermicro X10SRA-F ~$300
RAM: 2 X M393A1G40DB0-CPB (or equivalent from Micron/Crucial/Hynix/Kingston) ~$250
GPU: Quadro K2200 ~$440 or W5100 ~$350
SSD: 256GB Plextor M6 Pro ~$150
Storage: Western Digital WD1002F9YZ ~$100
PSU: Antec HCP-750 ~$135
HSF: SilverStone AR01 ~$35

Additional Details: I was suggested these parts by someone already a couple of months ago and I'm finally getting around to actually ordering them. . I couldnt fine theses mobo or PSU that was also suggested in pcpartpicker. They don't have WS mobo's i guess. MOBO: Supermicro X10SRA-F PSU: Antec HCP-750

Also I've seen different models of the X10SRA-F, such as X10SRA-O or endng with -F-O and was wondering if its the same board?
Is there a more affordable C612 mobo thats equivalent to the X10SRA?

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Check the "For Sale" section here a # of people have parts you can mix-match and get them cheaper than what you've listed, and hopefully less risky than ebay :D

At-least for the RAM, HD and maybe CPU :)

andrewbedia

Jan 11, 2013
In the past, I've seen many of their power supplies wind up in the dumpster due to Fuhjjyu caps exploding. I can definitely understand sincere misgivings with them, but they seem to have straightened out their act.

Reactions: neo

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
I have had incredible performance off my Antec HCP 1200 (delta based) even overdriven it for some benchmark runs. est. 1250w dc, 1480w wall.

But if you want other options for PSUs ... EVGA G2 gen... tends to be priced lower than competition, Superflower oem and to-date the only series to beat Seasonic on clean rails. If you read Jonnyguru psu reviews you realize just how impressive that is.

Reactions: andrewbedia

Ingeniare

Jun 11, 2015
Alright cool, thanks. Yeah these is just a suggested build, I have seen more affordable SSD's.
Of all the pc components PSU's are the least I know about. I'll read more about them, but on that list SeaSonic is above Delta which is also part of Antec. Isn't it?

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
Alright cool, thanks. Yeah these is just a suggested build, I have seen more affordable SSD's.
Of all the pc components PSU's are the least I know about. I'll read more about them, but on that list SeaSonic is above Delta which is also part of Antec. Isn't it?
No, Antec and Delta are separate companies. Not many PSU "Manufacturers" actually design or produce their own PSU's that is often done by an ODM (original design manufacturer) ...

Seasonic is one of the big ODMs but they also sell their products under their own brand.
Antec does not design any of the PSUs they sell.

Given the link given above... the HCP 750w is ODMd by Delta.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/power-supply-oem-manufacturer,2913-4.html

The problem you can run into with a mixed design and manufacture is the ODM can license you a PSU design platform and you can take it and put cheaper caps in it. Antec has been known to sometimes put cheaper caps in their products than the ODM would have.

because there are so many OEMs selling a mixture of different ODMs under their own brand you really have to look at PSU's on a review basis. I highly recommend reading reviews on the exact model you are considering buying. JonnyGURU.com - EVGA Supernova G2 650W Review

Reactions: neo

Ingeniare

Jun 11, 2015
Well actually what I was thinking is that SeaSonic also makes PSUs for Antec like Delta does?
Ok I see

So Ive been looking at the Supermicro X10SRA-F and I find these different names, they specs seem the same.
I was wondering if they are the same or not?

X10SRA-F-O

Amazon.com: Supermicro LGA2011/Intel C612 ATX Server Motherboards X10SRA-F-O: Computers & Accessories

SUPERMICRO MBD-X10SRA-O
SUPERMICRO MBD-X10SRA-O ATX Server Motherboard LGA 2011 Intel C612 - Newegg.com

Supermicro X10SRA-B
Amazon.com: Supermicro X10SRA-B LGA2011/ Intel C612/ DDR4/ SATA3&USB3.0/ A&2GbE/ ATX Server Motherboard: Computers & Accessories

Last edited by a moderator:

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
Well actually what I was thinking is that SeaSonic also makes PSUs for Antec like Delta does?
Ok I see

So Ive been looking at the Supermicro X10SRA-F and I find these different names, they specs seem the same.
I was wondering if they are the same or not?
Took me a bit... -F has IPMI 2.0 support. The other still has SM brand of superdoctor remote support stuff.
-B is bulk...

Ingeniare

Jun 11, 2015
Oh that's all that's different between those boards then? thanks. I guess I may go with the cheapest.
I did some reading on PSUs and there's a lot to picking one, but I may just look at Seasonic and EVGA equivalents.
I did look through the supermicro site, but did not see the -F-O, -O and - B listed.
I already have the CoolerMaster HAF XB 2 case, but thanks I'll take a look at some refurbished workstations though.