Build Advice - pfsense and proxmox tinypc

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

seaverd

Dec 28, 2018
Three years ago I found on this site the HP 620 plus pfsense build. This unit continues to serve me well, so I am coming here for some advice. We just bought a second property that is serviced with 500 Mbps fiber and I need to configure a pfsense box and a proxmox server to run home assistant vm and a few dockers. Please not I do not want to run pfsense as a VM, as I like pfsense on its own box.

I have no problem buying used hardware and see that hp EliteDesk/Prodesk/Optiplex/Lenovo boxes with i5-6600t to 8400t in the $100 to $150 price range.

Also, in my main home I have an HP290 configured as a Plex Server to leverage quick sync hardware transcoding. I mention this as I know people use these as pfsense builds…should I use this for pfsense and upgrade my Plex server?

What is the current budget king for either of these builds?
Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

elvisimprsntr

May 9, 2021
Florida
Plenty of used Qotom's on evilBay that run pfSense just fine. I have a Q305P running pfSense for a dedicated GPS NTP time server. You might need a higher end quad core model for 500 mbps fiber. qotom in PC Desktops & All-In-Ones for sale | eBay

Or pick up a Protectli: Trusted Firewall Appliances with Firmware Protection for pfSense

I also have a few used QNAP's running TrueNAS CORE/SCALE, and one running Proxmox for a few low demand VMs qnap ts-453a in Network Attached Storage for sale | eBay