Brocade ICX6610 - Do I need 2 PSUs/Fans?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

sth2100

Feb 22, 2022
The ICX6610 just arrived, so will be looking to perform the network upgrade this week. I got a little cheap and didn't realize the one I picked up only had one PSU and one fan unit. It is a 48 port POE model, but I likely will not use the POE as I plan to run my cameras off an ICX6450 that showed up a few days ago. Will likely use about half of the total ports, but do plan on using many of the QSFP and SFP ports on the unit.

What your experience running these with only 1 PSU/Fan? By not using the POE feature, do you think I'll be able to get by with just 1?

RobstarUSA

Sep 15, 2016
One PSU/fan is fine but will run hotter. I looked into getting a second psu/fan, but it was actually about the same price as just buying a second switch with one psu/fan & putting them in my existing unit so I did that.

koifish59

Sep 30, 2020
My ICX 6610 has both PSU and fan units, but I noticed one of the fan units is barely even spinning compared to the other one (is this normal?). Both PSU's seem to exhaust the same amount of air though. This is with both 40bge ports, all the 10gbe ports, and half of the 1gbe ports used.

So based on my experience with mine, I'd say it's fine. I'll confirm later if it's the left or right fan unit that's the weaker one.