Drag to reposition cover

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

owenthewizard

Sep 15, 2022
I tried ARCTIC S4028-6K, fans report failed as expected but more interestingly, when they throttle down the board (not the fans) makes an annoying squealing sound (coil whine) :/
Sunon HA40201V4-D000-C99 cause the same board squeal.

Last edited:

shpitz461

Sep 29, 2017
@owenthewizard , which switch do you have?
I saw the Arctic 6k on amazon, thought the 15k variant would be more suitable since the 6k is much lower CFM.
My fans are listed 30CFM @ 65db.

els

Feb 15, 2014
I have been working on ACL and it doesn't look like it is working. Let's say I have VLAN 10 and VLAN 20; I want VLAN 10 to be able to access anything on VLAN 20 but VLAN 20 cannot access anything on VLAN 10. I created ACL extended for VLAN 20 "IN" and first rule is deny ip any {VLAN 10 subnet} and second rule is permit ip any any. Neither VLAN has access to another. I inserted new rule before the first rule permit ip any {VLAN 10 subnet} established and that worked however VLAN 20 has access to VLAN 10 as well. What am I missing?

owenthewizard

Sep 15, 2022
BTW, to get clean 12V DC, what solder points on the top of the board and connectors are exposed that wouldn't involve damaging anything in the existent cabling? Splicing works, but it's a little ghetto.

I'm going to make a small board that leaves GND and PWM pins connected to the original slots in the fans, but takes voltage directly from the PSU, so they spin at full speed (these are swapped fans with lower RPMs, not ultra silent as you still need good thermal, but much quieter than the Foxconn fans in my 48P) and keep the PWM components happy. It is my suspicion that brocade actually "value-designed" those, hence why the ceramic caps and coils whine when using lower RPM fans. Only one kind of capacitor is immune to acting as a piezo electric speaker... and they are certainly not used here.
Curious what came of this. I can get quiet enough fans but the coil whine is killing me.

owenthewizard

Sep 15, 2022
I wonder if someone could design a board w/ a microcontroller that measure the high/low voltage and converts it to PWM duty cycle. If something like that doesn't exist already...

uninitialized

Jan 28, 2023
Bummer, my ICX 6610 runs @ ~6500 rpm, the 7150ZP runs @ ~9000 rpm in mode 1 :(
I also tried to turn on fanless mode, but i get an error that it is not supported.

Has anyone done a fan-mode with straight up wires?
Any idea what pins are inside the plug? I'm thinking I can extract the pins and replace them, just don't know where I can find blank pins that go inside the connector.
The second fan on a 7150ZP is optional (like the second PSU) and it will run fine with just one. The connector might be a Molex Micro-Fit.

ManoftheSea

Apr 18, 2023
I want VLAN 10 to be able to access anything on VLAN 20 but VLAN 20 cannot access anything on VLAN 10.
On my ICX6450 with 8.0.30u, the protocol "ip" doesn't take "established". I thought that only belonged to TCP. In which case, maybe you just have a "permit all" rule, rather than a "permit all established"

aeiro

Feb 26, 2024
Is it possible to stack two switches using RG6 cable? I terminated the cable with f-type connectors but could of course reterminate them if needed. Unfortunately the RG6 is stapled to the studs inside the wall and it's not trivial to run fiber to the two levels of the house where I want network access. I have a MoCA bridge already set up but not sure if I can use that for stacking.

kpfleming

Dec 28, 2021
Pelham NY USA
Is it possible to stack two switches using RG6 cable? I terminated the cable with f-type connectors but could of course reterminate them if needed. Unfortunately the RG6 is stapled to the studs inside the wall and it's not trivial to run fiber to the two levels of the house where I want network access. I have a MoCA bridge already set up but not sure if I can use that for stacking.
I don't believe there are any products that offer 10GbE over RG-6, and stacking requires 10Gbit links.

Reactions: NablaSquaredG

aeiro

Feb 26, 2024
I don't believe there are any products that offer 10GbE over RG-6, and stacking requires 10Gbit links.
Are you sure that stacking requires 10G? In the datasheet for the icx6450 it says:

Figure 1: Brocade ICX 6450 Switches support four dual-mode 1 GbE/10 GbE SFP/SFP+ ports for uplink
and stacking, and up to 48 1 GbE RJ-45 ports. Brocade ICX 6430-24 and 6430-48 Switches support four
1 GbE SFP ports for uplink and stacking to provide a cost-optimized solution for lower-traffic networks.

I'd believe you if you said it wasn't possible over RG6 due to inherent limitations of a moca or g.hn adapter, but my reading of that is that the ports are dual 1g/10g. And the icx6430 doesn't even have 10g so surely that must be able to stack with 1g connections.

FingerBlaster

Feb 27, 2019
I don't mean to be lazy, but this is a 468 page thread at this point! Are these switches still a good value to buy? how many copper 10gbe modules can you put in the sfp+ ports? I think many switches have a limit due to power/heat?

I'm looking for at least 8 sfp+ ports for dacs, at least 15 1gbps rj45 ports, at least 12 poe ports, and at least 5 multigig ports (that could be accomplished with aquantia transceivers that i already have. it looks like the 6610-48p is my best bet. I just cringe at the power draw.

Last edited:

NablaSquaredG

Layer 1 Magician
Aug 17, 2020
Are these switches still a good value to buy?
Yes

ow many copper 10gbe modules can you put in the sfp+ ports? I think many switches have a limit due to power/heat?
No limit. Your transceiver might be the limiting factor due to heat if you use SFP+ to 10GBase-T transceivers of special stuff like super long range (e.g. 80km)

I just cringe at the power draw.
Not a lot of affordable options with your requirements if it must all be in one switch.

hmw

Apr 29, 2019
I've asked this before but didn't really receive any real answers: for the 7150 and 7650 - is there any value in updating to FastIron 09.0.10j and 10.0.10c respectively over and above 08.0.95j?

blinkenlights

May 24, 2019
I've asked this before but didn't really receive any real answers: for the 7150 and 7650 - is there any value in updating to FastIron 09.0.10j and 10.0.10c respectively over and above 08.0.95j?
I can't speak to the 10.x codetrain, but I would stay away from 09.x for the time being. I was just telling @fohdeesha the other day about how my 7450's running the latest 09.x somehow suffered a spontaneous VLAN "collapse." All of my ports got reset to the default VLAN and I only noticed it after a broadcast storm shut down one of my low bandwidth devices.

• Wow
Reactions: hmw and itronin

Gerhen

Nov 29, 2023
Hi all,

Have my ICX running the routing firmware and wondering if there's a better/preferable/more secure way to write ACL rules to permit mDNS/Bonjour traffic across VLANs?

The rules I’ve added work, but are fairly wide open. I’ve limited traffic to tcp only and ports > 1023 to add some protection but wondering what others have done.

My main network is on VLAN20 and all my IoT products (Sonos, Apple TV etc) on VLAN40. The addresses on the vlans are not static, hence reason for permitting access to the entire subnet in the rules. I thought about assigning static IPs but there would be too many rules needed.

Restricting by ports might make sense and for the time being I’ve left it wide open above 1023. I’m not sure if the ports used by devices when broadcasting services like AirPlay/AirPrint/HAP/Sonos tend to remain the same or change?

The two rules I’m using are below illustrated in pseudo code:
permit tcp <vlan20 subnet> <vlan 40 subnet> for ports > 1023
permit tcp <vlan40 subnet> <vlan 20 subnet> for ports > 1023

How are others accomplishing this?

Last edited:

NachoCDN

Apr 18, 2016
i have a ICX-6610 and for the life of me I can't get traffic on any other vlan out to the internet. for instance I have a vlan 5 which has the the router interface 10.5.0.1. any client on vlan 5 can ping the router interface and the management IP of the switch which is on the default vlan. but if I try and get a client to ping the upstream router at 192.168.1.1, that doesn't seem to work.

if I try the command "ping 192.168.1.1 source 10.5.0.1" on the switch I get no response. what am I missing here? I'm running router code associated with the downloads on page 1 of this thread. if can post my config if that would help

JJ27

Oct 24, 2018
If you do a packet capture on the "lan" interface of your router (the device that does te breakout), do you see the ICMP messages coming? Usually when you have a transit vlan the problem comes with the "return" packets as the route to internal is missing or blocked by the firewall.

Reactions: NachoCDN