Drag to reposition cover

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

uninitialized

Jan 28, 2023
I picked up an ICX7150-48ZP with bad PoE :(

The problem was twofold:
- No PoE on four adjacent ports ("PoE Severe Error: Hardware Fault with ports [...]")
- The PoE board (or FastIron) was reporting its temperature as 255 deg-C

The temperature error caused the fans to run at full speed. I could force the fans to to low speed with 'dd set_frufan_speed 1' but this reverted on reboot.

No PoE on four ports is tolerable, but fans permanently screaming at 18k rpm is NFG.

I tried reloading different versions of the firmware onto the controller (PD69200) to no avail. I suspected the PoE manager (PD69208), but it wasn't obviously cratered like those previously posted. Everything else was working, so I decided to just go ahead and replace it.

This particular PoE manager IC controls four of the 90W PoH ports and has a large aluminum block that thermally connects it to the top cover. The QFN thermal pad has some serious vias to copper planes that suck up ALL the heat during reflow. Surface tension made it nerve-wracking to pull the chip up without disturbing the other components.

Replacing the manager IC fixed the temperature reporting error but I had to reload the PoE firmware to clear the 'h/w fault' error.

Everything seems to be working fine now. :D

ICX7150-48ZP power consumption at idle:
60 W (fan speed 1)
75 W (fan speed 2)

Console output showing the temperature error:
Code:
Device HW version         : 0:V2R2      1:V2R2      2:V2R2      3:UNKNOWN   4:V2R2      5:V2R2      6:V2R2      7:V2R2
Device Temperature(deg-C) : 0:29        1:31        2:27        3:n/a       4:33        5:29        6:31        7:29
Device Status             : 0:Good      1:Good      2:Good      3:Failed    4:Good      5:Good      6:Good      7:Good
[...]
Fan controlled temperature:
        Rule 1/3 (MGMT THERMAL PLANE): 33.0 deg-C
        Rule 2/3 (PoE THERMAL SENSOR PLANE): 255.0 deg-C
        Rule 3/3 (MISC THERMAL PLANE): 44.0 deg-C
[...]
Fan speed switching temperature thresholds:
        Rule 1/3 (MGMT THERMAL PLANE):
                Speed 1: NM<-----> 95       deg-C
                Speed 2:        85<----->105 deg-C (shutdown)
        Rule 2/3 (PoE THERMAL SENSOR PLANE)***active***:
                Speed 1: NM<----->130       deg-C
                Speed 2:       120<----->130 deg-C
        Rule 3/3 (MISC THERMAL PLANE):
                Speed 1: NM<----->100       deg-C
                Speed 2:        85<----->108 deg-C
[...]
Slot 1 Current Temperature: 32.0 deg-C (Sensor 1), 33.5 deg-C (Sensor 2), 255.0 deg-C (Sensor 3), 46.0 deg-C (Sensor 4)

Attachments

klui

Feb 3, 2019
Impressive.

I think rework technicians put the board on a preheater first.

I was confused by the picture showing only 4 chips had the blocks until I looked at the datasheet which shows only 16 are PoH and 32 total are PoE+.

Gerhen

Nov 29, 2023
Hi all quick question on ACLs.

To block access to the ssh server (on port 22) on the ICX from one of its VLANs (e.g. Guest vlan) would I block:

1. access to the interface ve address for port 22

2. access to the router’s base ip address for port 22
or
3. access to both 1+2

Thank you!

uninitialized

Jan 28, 2023
What's the command for this? I know quite some obscure internal Fastiron stuff, but haven't looked into PoE yet.
Might be useful one day
inline power install-firmware {all|spx-unit unit-number|stack-unit unit-number} tftp ip-address file-name

eg.
inline power install-firmware all tftp 10.20.30.40 icx7xxx_poe_02.1.8.b004.fw

(Source)

Fun fact: the PoE firmware, at least for the PD692x0 controllers, is directly from Microchip and unmodified except for a plaintext header. Have a look - the .fw files are ASCII S19 format. If you're feeling brave and/or reckless, there are newer versions available in the Microchip Software Library. (can't link directly - search PD69200)

Reactions: blunden

uninitialized

Jan 28, 2023
I was confused by the picture showing only 4 chips had the blocks until I looked at the datasheet which shows only 16 are PoH and 32 total are PoE+.
This confused me at first, too.

To further clarify, this board has a total of eight (8x) PD69208 managers; each manages 4x PoH ports or 8x PoE+ ports.

Gerhen

Nov 29, 2023
Hi all quick question on ACLs.

To block access to the ssh server (on port 22) on the ICX from one of its VLANs (e.g. Guest vlan) would I block:

1. access to the interface ve address for port 22

2. access to the router’s base ip address for port 22
or
3. access to both 1+2

Thank you!
As I use a permit ip any to any rule at the end of my ACL, I’ve tested and determined that you need to block access to both the interface ve and in my case the trunk ip address of the router.

Reactions: ManoftheSea

IApar

May 25, 2017
Not sure if it was asked. Does anyone know if Brocade 6430-24P is similar to 6450-24P ?. Looks identical with 4x10G SFP ports. Any issues with firmware update or license for this model? Considering this model.

Sealside

May 10, 2019
Stockholm/Sweden
I successfully got a 7250 48P up and running. Going to replace my 2xJuniper ex3300 24P. Mainly to get more sfp ports (8 vs 4). Big thanks to various people in this thread as well as fohdeesha for providing documentation firmware etc.
Had some issues connecting to the console but finally got it working. Could see all input but not type, got solved by some unknown thing maybe the cables were glitching. Used the rj45 keystone approach with a butchered mini usb cable.

Also bought some mechatronic fans, anyone know of suitable connectors for these? Want to keep the original ones intact.

ManoftheSea

Apr 18, 2023
Not sure if it was asked. Does anyone know if Brocade 6430-24P is similar to 6450-24P ?. Looks identical with 4x10G SFP ports. Any issues with firmware update or license for this model? Considering this model.
The 6430 is not a router. It is only a switch.