Drag to reposition cover

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

els

Feb 15, 2014
It sounds like you want to use layer 3 on that port, not layer 2, which is fine. The port will need to be in its own VLAN (no other ports), with that VLAN membership set as untagged, and then you can assign an address and mask directly on the port. You can also separately add routes to the routing table (not associated with any VLAN or port) with a next-hop address of the pfSense device that is connected to the port.
You are correct. After reading a bit last night it looks like I need to create "transit" VLAN along with VE and IP address. I have this configuration with Juniper though things are done a bit differently. So far, I don't think ICX's CLI is too difficult provided one has fundamental understanding how network works. I plan to work on my ICX a bit today. I assume by default intervlan is allowed and not necessarily blocked? I have use cases where specific VLANs are to be isolated and only have access to the Internet.

blunden

Nov 29, 2019
Sadly not on Europe, havent found an okay price.
For used enterprise network equipment, it can often still be cheaper to buy from the US despite the added shipping cost as well as VAT. Did you check what the total cost would end up being if you buy them from a US seller?

kpfleming

Dec 28, 2021
Pelham NY USA
I assume by default intervlan is allowed and not necessarily blocked? I have use cases where specific VLANs are to be isolated and only have access to the Internet.
That is correct, by default there are no layer 3 ACLs, all traffic between layer 3 networks is permitted (the same as for layer 2).

Reactions: els

TeleFragger

Oct 26, 2016
I have no experience with XFP modules but I figured I'll respond anyway in case someone else wants to weigh in. :)

From a cursory glance, it looks to me like that should work.

Note that the older Intel NICs like the X520-DA2 are built for high airflow cases like servers as far as I know. If you use it in a desktop/workstation you might have to add a fan to the heatsink, and some are even sold with active cooling from the factory. :)

The Intel NIC can also be unlocked to support non-Intel programmed transceivers if you want, but that one from eBay already looks to cost about the same as a generic one anyway. :)
Forgive the mess...going on an unhoarding adventure...get stuff working fully, chuck the rest...
I got plenty of room in my case!

Attachments

rheaalleen

Dec 10, 2023
If I turn off PoE on the ICX 6450, how low can I take the fans to reduce noise?

Realistic to disable them all?

First page says "48 port and PoE models have 2 or 3 fans, but they can be removed if you're not using near full PoE load", so my understanding would be 1 has to run

daleq

Mar 11, 2015

First page says "48 port and PoE models have 2 or 3 fans, but they can be removed if you're not using near full PoE load", so my understanding would be 1 has to run
My experience is that replacing all 3 fans with 13cfm units. On "high", it sounds roughly same as the switch on "low" with original fans. On "low", it's pretty close to silent (you could easily have in the same room, I wouldn't put the switch on your desktop though).
With the 13 cfm fans, the temps have been in the 53C-56C range in a closet with poor ventilation.
My guess is that keeping even just one original fan is significantly louder than three 13 cfm fans.

rheaalleen

Dec 10, 2023
My experience is that replacing all 3 fans with 13cfm units. On "high", it sounds roughly same as the switch on "low" with original fans. On "low", it's pretty close to silent (you could easily have in the same room, I wouldn't put the switch on your desktop though).
With the 13 cfm fans, the temps have been in the 53C-56C range in a closet with poor ventilation.
My guess is that keeping even just one original fan is significantly louder than three 13 cfm fans.
Which fans did you install? I saw the comment about "good" options, I´m a bit flexible on what to take but I would like to avoid crimping and have the cables already in correct order.

daleq

Mar 11, 2015
Which fans did you install? I saw the comment about "good" options, I´m a bit flexible on what to take but I would like to avoid crimping and have the cables already in correct order.
I used Delta FFB0412HHN-F00 referenced here.
I cut the wires on the old fans to re-use the existing header. I connected the wires using "solder seal wire connectors" referenced here.

I'm not sure this was easier/faster, but I had solder "third hand" and wire strippers. I could borrow a heat gun. So, it worked for me.

[Update] Note that the original wires are very small (24 awg?). You can almost strip the insulation with your fingernail and there are very few strands of copper wire within. The Delta fans had larger wires (20 awg?). Perhaps the right sized wire nuts could work, but I felt more comfortable with a soldered solution.

Last edited:

TeleFragger

Oct 26, 2016

see i want to replace mine eventually with a poe unit ... i added an 8 port poe for reolink cameras...

els

Feb 15, 2014
Just brought my ICX7150 online and the computer in my office is currently connected to ICX switch. Everything works and I'm able to get over to network resources connected to my Juniper switch through pfSense. Now it's a matter of moving devices over to ICX over time.

The problem I encountered is that Mikrotik S+RJ10 does not work. I did try another SFP+ port and same thing. Just to rule out I have bad SFP+ ports I connected ICX7150 to another switch that has SFP+ port and it works. Does anyone know if there is another that will work with ICX7150? Thanks.

jei

Aug 8, 2021
Finland
Just brought my ICX7150 online and the computer in my office is currently connected to ICX switch. Everything works and I'm able to get over to network resources connected to my Juniper switch through pfSense. Now it's a matter of moving devices over to ICX over time.

The problem I encountered is that Mikrotik S+RJ10 does not work. I did try another SFP+ port and same thing. Just to rule out I have bad SFP+ ports I connected ICX7150 to another switch that has SFP+ port and it works. Does anyone know if there is another that will work with ICX7150? Thanks.
I have used FS.com 10GBASE-T 80m ones in 7150. Got 2 for sale atm. :cool:

Sana128

Oct 31, 2023
My SSH session on ICX-6610 freezes when I attempt to execute the ‘show int brief’ command (most of the time). It unfreezes after I restart the switch, but it works only once before freezing. All other commands function perfectly. Also I am having issues loading the UI these days (it used to work as well). Not sure whats going on.

hmw

Apr 29, 2019

I have tried Aquantia, Ipolex and Wiitek 10G modules and all of them work. The latter two take their own sweet time to initialize but they do work

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
My SSH session on ICX-6610 freezes when I attempt to execute the ‘show int brief’ command (most of the time). It unfreezes after I restart the switch, but it works only once before freezing. All other commands function perfectly. Also I am having issues loading the UI these days (it used to work as well). Not sure whats going on.
You changed the MTU / enabled jumbo frames somewhere didn't you

NablaSquaredG

Layer 1 Magician
Aug 17, 2020
And another ICX7450 with dead PoE (and possible dead ASICs)...

Code:
PoE Error: Failed Devices Bitmap on PoE module:40, numDev:7.
Resetting module in slot 1 again to recover from dev fault
PoE Info: Hard Resetting in slot 1....
PoE Info: Resetting module in slot 1....completed.
PoE Error: Failed Devices Bitmap on PoE module:40, numDev:7.
PoE Severe Error: Hardware Fault with ports 1/1/41 to 1/1/48. Remove PDs and then configure "no inline power" on these ports.
Sold as "fully functional". Even had a sticker with "PoE 43 not working" on it.

• Sad
Reactions: Andydude

gscman

Feb 7, 2024
Has anyone tried using a Multi-Gig SFP on one of the Brocade ICX switches to get 2.5/5gb support for RJ45?
I have a stack of these three ICX6450 and one ICX6610 and they have served me well.
I have a 6610 on the way, excited to try it out and expand my network. I was using an aruba switch before. It was usper picky about SFPs but I mostly got it working. However, getting 2.5gb for my new multigig internet was a total pain. In the end what I ended up doing is getting a cheapo 2.5gb switch with a SFP+ port for connecting to my main switch.

Here is a link to the switch, cheaper than buying an an sfp module and doesn't get super hot. Been running 24/7 form months now:
2.5gb switch at amazon

Any unseen downside to this method? The switch even has vlan options but I didn't turn that on (its a little switch on the side, not sure what it does)

ManoftheSea

Apr 18, 2023
Any unseen downside to this method? The switch even has vlan options but I didn't turn that on (its a little switch on the side, not sure what it does)
If it's like the ones being show here at Serve the Home (https://www.servethehome.com/ienron-hg0801xg-8-port-2-5gbe-1-port-10gbe-fanless-switch-review/), that switch enables port isolation between the 2.5 ports but NOT between the 10 Gb ports. Though, the article shows an 8 port x 2.5 with 1 x 10, and you have 4x 2.5 and 2x10. So... maybe it has port isolation between 4x2.5+1x10 and the other SFP+?

Badtz

Feb 5, 2024
Just wanted to say thanks for this thread and the associated info pages. Grabbed a 6610 off ebay for a song and got everything up and running in no time. I did have to take the thing apart and repaste the CPU to get the fans to slow down but so far so good.

TeleFragger

Oct 26, 2016
see i want to replace mine eventually with a poe unit ... i added an 8 port poe for reolink cameras...
i am getting excited... brocade adapter, fiber and x520 came in... waiting on 2 transceivers...then connect it all ...
then lesson hat when I follow the license instructions!!!!
20240208_174818.jpg

20240208_175148.jpg