Drag to reposition cover

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

tazplex

Jun 8, 2023
You mention that the switch doesn't exceed 1% usage.
Have you checked the traffic / packet per second count on individual ports?

FYI, there's a new firmware 10.0.10c, which has "FI-282109" closed (No access to Internet from WbC client, Condition: When WiFi client is moved from one AP to another AP)
Thanks for this. Is it something I can check via CLI? I'm just referring to the chart on the dashboard. I've disabled all the APs except for the R850 to see if I can narrow down the issue as well. Updated FW to 10.0.10c. Was getting dropped packets every 3-4 pings of the R850s IP, just sent a few hundred through all received.

TonyArrr

Sep 22, 2021
Straylia
So the fans are here going to try the same mod, it seems all 4 fans come with... no connectors.

Id rather notcut and solder the old ones to the new fans and ruin them, so what connectors do I need? I am pretty sure it’s JST, but there are so many different ones, does anyone know exactly the specific one for the fans?
I used these for my 7250-24p fans: https://www.jaycar.com.au/3-pin-0-1...os=2&queryId=731e76cc052c83b4c1642bf7d7c14fae

Update: Just got the switch housing off, where does the thin larger fan go? Over the CPU heatsink? I thought it was supposed to sit above the SFP cage to keep it cool (as thats where I am having heat issues) but no space for it there.
The 60mm fan is for the ASIC, not the SFP cage: https://forums.servethehome.com/ind...erful-10gbe-40gbe-switching.21107/post-331607

I considered installing a usb fan at the bottom of my rack blowing air up past the SFP+ slots for mine, but ended up going all optical instead. Maybe a consideration for your situation? Wouldn’t need to be super powerful, just enough to move the air consistently

ViciousXUSMC

Nov 27, 2016
I used these for my 7250-24p fans: https://www.jaycar.com.au/3-pin-0-1...os=2&queryId=731e76cc052c83b4c1642bf7d7c14fae

The 60mm fan is for the ASIC, not the SFP cage: https://forums.servethehome.com/ind...erful-10gbe-40gbe-switching.21107/post-331607

I considered installing a usb fan at the bottom of my rack blowing air up past the SFP+ slots for mine, but ended up going all optical instead. Maybe a consideration for your situation? Wouldn’t need to be super powerful, just enough to move the air consistently
For some reason I thought this was a solution to make the switch quiet and keep the SFP's really cool, because when I tested the RJ45 SFP the other day they worked fine, even at multi gig speeds and my desktop has been hooked to one for weeks no issues, but soon as I added my access point using one it got super super hot and the AP messed up and I cant say if it was a fluke with the AP or not but I think the SFP got hot enough to cause issues.

My brain took this heat problem and just assumed that was the problem you were addressing, as everything else is running cool enough without an extra fan.

Adding an external fan is a solution, and I have a great fan for it already (the ones I use ontop of my AVR in the theater room) but I wanted something clean and intergrated so that way my rack is self contained and my dog or whatever cant mess it up.

Looks like I may just have to go with plan B, I got this switch and can just use it in conjunction with my ICX 6450 and just have the 7250 for (another) backup.

Andydude

Oct 6, 2023
So the fans are here going to try the same mod, it seems all 4 fans come with... no connectors.

Id rather notcut and solder the old ones to the new fans and ruin them, so what connectors do I need? I am pretty sure its JST, but there are so many different ones, does anyone know exactly the specific one for the fans?

Also I was running my new Zyxel WBE660S AP's using the 10gb RJ45 SFP and after a couple of hours of working fine suddenly the AP started messing up.

I think it was honestly the SFP got too hot! Because when I touched it with my hand it was like OMFG hot, so I wonder if I will have the same issue with this switch after this specific fan mod.

Just to be safeI did already order a multi gig switch that has RJ45 and SFP ports so I do not have to use the RJ45 SFPs anymore.

Update: Just got the switch housing off, where does the thin larger fan go? Over the CPU heatsink? I thought it was supposed to sit above the SFP cage to keep it cool (as thats where I am having heat issues) but no space for it there.
I bought 5 Pcs x Shakmods 3 Pin Female Black Fan Power Connector + 15 Free Pins from UK eBay. You then just strip the wires and use long nose pliers or a crimping tool to put the ends on and make sure you slide them into the connector in the right order.

If you look at RoachedCoach mod links he has some pics, the thin larger fan goes over the CPU heatsink to keep that cool to cope with the reduced airflow from the quieter fans.

Not sure about keeping the RJ45 SPF's cool, my friend had the same issue with them getting too hot and shutting down and did the same as you and bought a separate switch.

Reactions: ViciousXUSMC

ViciousXUSMC

Nov 27, 2016
I bought 5 Pcs x Shakmods 3 Pin Female Black Fan Power Connector + 15 Free Pins from UK eBay. You then just strip the wires and use long nose pliers or a crimping tool to put the ends on and make sure you slide them into the connector in the right order.

If you look at RoachedCoach mod links he has some pics, the thin larger fan goes over the CPU heatsink to keep that cool to cope with the reduced airflow from the quieter fans.

Not sure about keeping the RJ45 SPF's cool, my friend had the same issue with them getting too hot and shutting down and did the same as you and bought a separate switch.
Ok going to give these a try.

I also maybe would/could/should test the RJ45 SFP's a bit more as like I said my desktop has been on one for weeks no issues, but the AP overhreated.

Could be a difference in brand and the chipset used, or simply and more likely because the AP is constatly sending traffic and my computer is not doing too much.

But I have 2 other brands I could test, but if I am going to return them for a refund I hate to open them.

blunden

Nov 29, 2019
thx.. status update...
i just bought this...
' Brocade ES4625M-FLF-08 2x 10GB XFP Switch Module
Brocade ES4625M-FLF-08 2x 10GB XFP Switch Module | eBay

To buy???

* 7 meter OM4 LC to SC Fiber Optic Patch Cable Multimode Duplex Aqua 50/125 LC SC 1M-15M

Hope this is what I need next...
* Juniper SRX-XFP-10GE-SR 10GBase-SR 10G XFP optical transceiver
FOR Juniper SRX-XFP-10GE-SR 10GBase-SR 10G XFP optical transceiver w/60 days WRT | eBay

* Intel X520-DA2
DELL Intel X520-DA2 X520 10Gb SFP+ Network Adapter 0942V6 0XYT17 E10G42BTDAPG1P5

* Intel E10GSFPSR Ethernet SFP SR Optics Transceiver Module
Intel E10GSFPSR Ethernet SFP SR Optics Transceiver Module 101556666464 | eBay

If my to buy list looks good, I will go for it today... need to get all the parts in, then hit the website to walk through licensing, etc.. updating to latest firmware and see if i can pull out any straggler hairs i have left on top of my head!!!!1
I have no experience with XFP modules but I figured I'll respond anyway in case someone else wants to weigh in. :)

From a cursory glance, it looks to me like that should work.

Note that the older Intel NICs like the X520-DA2 are built for high airflow cases like servers as far as I know. If you use it in a desktop/workstation you might have to add a fan to the heatsink, and some are even sold with active cooling from the factory. :)

The Intel NIC can also be unlocked to support non-Intel programmed transceivers if you want, but that one from eBay already looks to cost about the same as a generic one anyway. :)

Reactions: TeleFragger

RoachedCoach

Feb 4, 2020

Id rather notcut and solder the old ones to the new fans and ruin them, so what connectors do I need? I am pretty sure its JST, but there are so many different ones, does anyone know exactly the specific one for the fans?

Also I was running my new Zyxel WBE660S AP's using the 10gb RJ45 SFP and after a couple of hours of working fine suddenly the AP started messing up.

I think it was honestly the SFP got too hot! Because when I touched it with my hand it was like OMFG hot, so I wonder if I will have the same issue with this switch after this specific fan mod.

Just to be safeI did already order a multi gig switch that has RJ45 and SFP ports so I do not have to use the RJ45 SFPs anymore.

Yes, attach it to the CPU heat sink. Sorry, I wish i'd taken pics of this at the time.

There's no perfect attachment points, I just used some heavily threaded screws and they bit into the heat sink enough that it holds it in solidly.

I never found myself having to cool the SFP area, seemed to dissipate well enough on its own.

Also, PM'd you with this, but these were the fan connectors I used: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BXZ3HYDL/

Andydude

Oct 6, 2023
Yes, attach it to the CPU heat sink. Sorry, I wish i'd taken pics of this at the time.

There's no perfect attachment points, I just used some heavily threaded screws and they bit into the heat sink enough that it holds it in solidly.

I never found myself having to cool the SFP area, seemed to dissipate well enough on its own.

Also, PM'd you with this, but these were the fan connectors I used: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BXZ3HYDL/
You did have pictures on one of you posts, I found it and it helped me. @deff_janiels also followed your mod and took a good pic here: https://forums.servethehome.com/ind...erful-10gbe-40gbe-switching.21107/post-331607

Reactions: RoachedCoach

tazplex

Jun 8, 2023
show int <interface> should show all the info
Problem solved. Turns out, it was neither switch nor AP related. My DNS forwarding in OPNsense wasn't working correctly and taking a long time to resolve queries, both internal and external. I'm assuming that because of lower latency, the wired connections would resolve themselves, but the wireless connections took forever or would timeout, which was causing the APs to drop off and reconnect repeatedly in search of connection.

Thanks for the troubleshooting assistance.

Reactions: NablaSquaredG

TonyArrr

Sep 22, 2021
Straylia
For some reason I thought this was a solution to make the switch quiet and keep the SFP's really cool, because when I tested the RJ45 SFP the other day they worked fine, even at multi gig speeds and my desktop has been hooked to one for weeks no issues, but soon as I added my access point using one it got super super hot and the AP messed up and I cant say if it was a fluke with the AP or not but I think the SFP got hot enough to cause issues.

My brain took this heat problem and just assumed that was the problem you were addressing, as everything else is running cool enough without an extra fan.

Adding an external fan is a solution, and I have a great fan for it already (the ones I use ontop of my AVR in the theater room) but I wanted something clean and intergrated so that way my rack is self contained and my dog or whatever cant mess it up.

Looks like I may just have to go with plan B, I got this switch and can just use it in conjunction with my ICX 6450 and just have the 7250 for (another) backup.

So the ASIC fan is to cool the ASIC cause it’s the highest temp internal part of the switch, and by replacing the rear fans with lower speed (and thus noise) fans, the ASIC fan offsets the lower airflow.
It should still cause a little more airflow to be pulled in through the SFP cages but maybe not enough to offset the multi gig SFP when the AP is connected.

Another thing I’ve done before for a hot SFP module is attach little heat sinks to the part of the SFP that is sticking out, so there is more surface area for air cooling, but it was a SFP modem and stuck out more than most RJ45 SFPs I’ve seen, so I dunno how much that would help but could be worth a try anyway.

I’ve been considering getting a fibre to copper media converter for my Multigig capable AP, rather than a whole multigig switch, to avoid increasing the heat in my cabinet to much.Haven’t gotten as far as costing it yet to decide, it’s early days

NablaSquaredG

Layer 1 Magician
Aug 17, 2020
FYI, I'm about to receive a $500 bug bounty from Vultr.

I mentioned the "dead" ICX7750-48F here in the thread, which I could revive by replacing the RAM?
Turns out, it was from one of Vultr's DCs, not wiped and contained confidential information.

Reported the data disclosure to Vultr and will now receive a bounty.

els

Feb 15, 2014
Hi all. I got ICX7150 a little while ago and want to say thanks to @fohdeesha for the excellent guide. I was able to update it and started creating VLANs as well as DHCP pool. I'm a bit stumped though when I tried to assign IP address to specific port which would be connected to the firewall and plan to use static routing. I was able to do this on my Juniper EX2200.

Am I supposed to create a VLAN and assign IP address for that VLAN and make it untagged on the specific port? My firewall (pfSense) does not know anything about VLANs and I want to keep it that way.

Another question regarding trunk port - since coming from Juniper, I assume untagged VLAN is the native VLAN and I add other VLANs as tagged?

jode

Jul 27, 2021
Anywhere I could buy PSUs for the 6610?
You need to pick the right fan for your model of ICX-6610, meaning rear or front exhausting. If you're not aware of the type of your model, the device should have a relatively large green sticker indicating the direction of the fan (E or I).
The 1000W power supply supports POE.

Search for these terms on eBay for rear exhausting fans (e type): awf-2dc-1000w-e rps16-e 23-0000142
Search for these terms on eBay for front exhausting fans (i type): awf-2dc-1000w-i rps16-i 23-0000141-02

You'll notice that there are plenty of options for rear exhausting fans, but none or few of the other type.

kpfleming

Dec 28, 2021
Pelham NY USA
Am I supposed to create a VLAN and assign IP address for that VLAN and make it untagged on the specific port? My firewall (pfSense) does not know anything about VLANs and I want to keep it that way.
It sounds like you want to use layer 3 on that port, not layer 2, which is fine. The port will need to be in its own VLAN (no other ports), with that VLAN membership set as untagged, and then you can assign an address and mask directly on the port. You can also separately add routes to the routing table (not associated with any VLAN or port) with a next-hop address of the pfSense device that is connected to the port.

Reactions: els

rheaalleen

Dec 10, 2023
You need to pick the right fan for your model of ICX-6610, meaning rear or front exhausting. If you're not aware of the type of your model, the device should have a relatively large green sticker indicating the direction of the fan (E or I).
The 1000W power supply supports POE.

Search for these terms on eBay for rear exhausting fans (e type): awf-2dc-1000w-e rps16-e 23-0000142
Search for these terms on eBay for front exhausting fans (i type): awf-2dc-1000w-i rps16-i 23-0000141-02

You'll notice that there are plenty of options for rear exhausting fans, but none or few of the other type.
I´ve got 2 6610 but on has no PSU or fans and I havent found any green sticker on the base appliance, where is it normally?
One is a PI model, the other PE (iirc), I dont need PoE in any case so the my ideas was to put one of the redundant PSUs into the other + 1 fan.

I wouldnt need 1000W and stick to 250W

bwahaha

Jun 9, 2023
@rheaalleen the sticker is on the psu/fan. E-type are the most common, and readily available on ebay. You can use either/or with fan and psu, but you can't mix type in the same chassis.

type e: exhaust. Fans pull air from the front, blow out the back. usually front of rack mounted
Type I: intake. fans pull from the back. usually rear of rack mounted.

Reactions: jode

rheaalleen

Dec 10, 2023
@rheaalleen the sticker is on the psu/fan. E-type are the most common, and readily available on ebay. You can use either/or with fan and psu, but you can't mix type in the same chassis.

type e: exhaust. Fans pull air from the front, blow out the back. usually front of rack mounted
Type I: intake. fans pull from the back. usually rear of rack mounted.
Sadly not on Europe, havent found an okay price.