Drag to reposition cover

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

klui

Feb 3, 2019
I feel these a-holes need to be exposed so everyone here knows who they are or @fohdeesha sends them to the admin so they'd be banned for breaking his conditions. I am surprised there are so many but my guess is it's less than 5 total and it's fewer who just created new accounts to take advantage of fohdeesha's kindness.

Thank you fohdeesha for sharing your knowledge and genuinely helping others here--again not only with Brocade and Arista switches but in other areas such as the DFI DT122 ITX motherboard in Great Deals.

Around 10 years ago, when I had no knowledge of networking but a good friend was he said something along the lines of "I would hesitate in building a network using Brocade switches," I didn't know what that meant. Maybe it was with older generations of switches but I feel the ICX 6000 series is very good and cost effective. Without his knowledge I would have kept that soundbite with me. Now I wouldn't hesitate to recommend these products.

And another antidote I offer to fohdeesha, I hope your attitude don't change when it comes to helping others. My point is about the bigger picture and not the licenses--which only you should decide. I had a good friend, no longer among the living, who was what I consider a UNIX wizard. He would share a lot of information--information that was not publicly available except through reverse engineering and intimate knowledge of the system's history--with the community but when Usenet descended to a SPAM swamp he got discouraged and left altogether. It was sad to see him leave that community but he still shared his knowledge with his smaller circle of friends.

maes

Nov 11, 2018
Actually, does the ICX6610 use a 'standard' 3-pin fan header? If possible could you take a picture of the board so I have an idea if there are any clearance issues close to the header?

I'm working on a 'rpm faker' circuit that would go in between a fan header and replacement fan, to mimic the rpm the switch is expecting while still keeping some monitoring of fan activity (mainly, it'd kill the fake rpm signal if the real fan stops spinning)

klui

Feb 3, 2019
Actually, does the ICX6610 use a 'standard' 3-pin fan header? If possible could you take a picture of the board so I have an idea if there are any clearance issues close to the header?
The 6610 fans are mounted in a cage in the back not to the motherboard. The header on the cage has 10 pins, with only 9 connected. https://www.memory4less.com/images/products/img0922a/ICX6610-FAN-E-lg.jpg

For the rear (E) output fans, they are an OEM-specific version of the Delta FFB0412UHN series but with 4 wires instead of 3. The specific model is FFB0412UHN-BR30 (12V 0.81A).

Reactions: tommybackeast

boghea

Oct 8, 2018
Hello all,

Can anyone help out by recording and posting a video of ICX 7250 (24 port and/or 48 port) booting and running so I, and possibly many others, can have a sense of the noise?
I know the fans can be replaced, but I am interested in the stock fan noise.

I have an ICX 6610-24P and, although it's subjective, for my current home environment it creates "problems" especially since on occasion it ramps up to 100% fan speed.

It would also be great if the same person can also record an ICX 6610 booting and running, with the same phone/video camera at the same recording distance.

Thank you

int0x2e

Dec 9, 2015
Hello all,

Can anyone help out by recording and posting a video of ICX 7250 (24 port and/or 48 port) booting and running so I, and possibly many others, can have a sense of the noise?
I know the fans can be replaced, but I am interested in the stock fan noise.

I have an ICX 6610-24P and, although it's subjective, for my current home environment it creates "problems" especially since on occasion it ramps up to 100% fan speed.

It would also be great if the same person can also record an ICX 6610 booting and running, with the same phone/video camera at the same recording distance.

Thank you
Tip for anyone who intends to do this - you'll want to disable the microphone AGC and manually keep it at the same setting for both recordings. Otherwise overall volume will be identical...

boghea

Oct 8, 2018
Tip for anyone who intends to do this - you'll want to disable the microphone AGC and manually keep it at the same setting for both recordings. Otherwise overall volume will be identical...
Thank you for your idea. It's definitely something to have disabled.

Reactions: int0x2e

mb300sd

Aug 1, 2016
If anyone is still looking for rack ears, I do have a water jet cutter and sheet metal brake. If someone feels like modeling them up in Fusion360, I can make a batch and sell for close to cost. Can't pull my switches off the rack to get measurements.

Zervun

Feb 2, 2019
Oregon
I feel these a-holes need to be exposed so everyone here knows who they are or @fohdeesha sends them to the admin so they'd be banned for breaking his conditions. I am surprised there are so many but my guess is it's less than 5 total and it's fewer who just created new accounts to take advantage of fohdeesha's kindness.
I agree - what fohdeesha has done is totally kick ass and it's terrible that some people have to ruin it for others. I've noticed the ebay prices hiking up a bit as I was looking at getting a backup switch which I'm guessing is due to people buying them to resell maybe? I doubt though that a ban would do much for these people are working the system to make a buck. They probably care less about a ban would be my guess especially if they already got away with it. It is too bad that there isn't a way to report them so that ebay would take action on them.

klui

Feb 3, 2019
It is too bad that there isn't a way to report them so that ebay would take action on them.
If STH is the place where people who purchase the ICX6000 series go for tips, the parent article could ask buyers from eBay or elsewhere to check with fohdeesha to confirm the licenses aren't from him. If the licenses came from him, buyers can then contest the transaction with eBay and they will almost always side with the purchaser.

Juggie

Nov 3, 2018
@fohdeesha Could also ask for ebay profile of any person who want's a license. It would be easy to see the switch purchase in the users history and provide an 'identity'. It's reasonable to expect some history on the profile as well, buying a switch should not be your first trip to ebay :) nor should the account be brand new. Can also exchange a PM on ebay to confirm sth and ebay accounts are same person, and finally in the purchase feedback, one could add 'sth' :)

Reactions: ewer0012

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
Just a few thoughts from me:

Are you allowed to sell switches with licenses when you upgrade to (an)other switch(es)?
What would brocade say that fodeesha is giving away licenses?

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
Are you allowed to sell switches with licenses when you upgrade to (an)other switch(es)?
Licenses I gave you for free? No, I don't want people making money off of a favor I did them. Deleting the licenses so you can sell it is a simple command

What would brocade say that fodeesha is giving away licenses?
It's now Ruckus and they don't give a shit, their current line of switches did away with licenses entirely because they were so tired of dealing with them

Reactions: klui

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
@fohdeesha Could also ask for ebay profile of any person who want's a license. It would be easy to see the switch purchase in the users history and provide an 'identity'. It's reasonable to expect some history on the profile as well, buying a switch should not be your first trip to ebay :) nor should the account be brand new. Can also exchange a PM on ebay to confirm sth and ebay accounts are same person, and finally in the purchase feedback, one could add 'sth' :)

I'm already collecting FB and linkedin accounts (with a PM first to said account for verification), that's how I've been able to track down every person that's done this. More than half of them haven't been ebay either, they've been reddit (homelab sales)

I know I could do a million other things to help prevent this from happening, but I just don't care enough. I already spend 30 to 45 minutes every single day replying to PMs here, if the solution to this problem is spending even more time, I'd much rather stop giving them out entirely

kapone

May 23, 2015
@fohdeesha - I think you've been too generous.

You've said enough times that these licenses are for "existing" STH users, but I think even that is being abused.

1. Give a license to a user only if they have been an STH user for...let's say 1 year.
2. Limit the license(s) for a single user to no more than 1 or 2. (I understand how this works and how even this can be abused, but not everyone will be able to abuse it).

maes

Nov 11, 2018
If anyone is still looking for rack ears, I do have a water jet cutter and sheet metal brake. If someone feels like modeling them up in Fusion360, I can make a batch and sell for close to cost. Can't pull my switches off the rack to get measurements.
I have said ears and decent CAD knowledge, I'll see what I can draft over the next few days.

Since it's a waterjet, I figure countersinks won't be possible? I'll skip them if it's preferred.

Any preferred file format? Inches or mm?

DavidB

Aug 31, 2018
I have said ears and decent CAD knowledge, I'll see what I can draft over the next few days.

Since it's a waterjet, I figure countersinks won't be possible? I'll skip them if it's preferred.

Doing great work there, I have a ICX6450 but it came without rack ears, so looking forward to some ears that don't cost as much as the whole unit on ebay

mb300sd

Aug 1, 2016

No countersinks unfortunately. mm preferred. No need to fully model it, just a flat part with the offset where the bend needs to go is perfect (so I don't need to reflatten it for cutting).