Drag to reposition cover

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

mintchipmadness

Nov 27, 2020
Hi

MS24693 MACHINE SCREWS (AN507) is the generic screw type.

You will need to specify the Size and Length. They are 100 Deg Countersunk Angle. Some commercial syles have 90 Deg CS angles.

Both will work for your application.

Cad PlatedMS24693-S246-321/4$0.05

Cad PlatedMS24693-S468-321/4$0.06

These are from this supplier in the USA

MS24693 MACHINE SCREWS (AN507) | Aircraft Spruce

If you are in Europe.

MS24693 UNC/UNF Countersunk LAS Aerospace Ltd

Or you might try eBay.

Best of luck.

REdX1
Per a message from REdX1, these screws work on the icx7250 as well. Just in case someone else here would like to know.

Blue)(Fusion

Mar 1, 2017
Chicago
So I am beginning to get my head around ACLs. Below is a snapshot of my pfsense rules for my dmz zone. I am going to shut down the dmz setup on pfsense and move it into the 7250 switch as a layer 3 subnet. So how do I setup the acls to replicate the following:
  1. block dmz access to pfsense admin ports and the management network on the switch
  2. block dmz access to all local subnets
  3. allow exit to the internet
View attachment 20378

In acls for other subnets on the switch, I intend to create specific rules to allow access to some clients in the dmz. Also, is there an equivalent of pfsense aliases in icx switches - like I have in the screenshot above for "admin ports"?
There are no aliases that I know of in the switch ACLs.

Here's an example you should be able to work from. This is from 8.0.30 firmware not sure if it's the same on 7xxx series firmware.

Code:
ip access-list extended guest-v4
 remark DENY ADMIN ACCESS TO SWITCH
deny tcp any host 10.23.15.1 eq ssh log
deny tcp any host 10.23.15.1 eq telnet log
deny tcp any host 10.23.15.1 eq http log
deny tcp any host 10.23.15.1 eq ssl log
remark ALLOW SAME VLAN TRAFFIC
permit ip any 10.23.15.0 0.0.0.255
remark ALLOW DHCP
permit udp any any eq bootps
permit udp any any eq bootpc
remark ALLOW ICMP
permit icmp any any
remark ALLOW ESTABLISHED TCP TRAFFIC
permit tcp any any established
remark ALLOW DNS REQUESTS
permit udp any host 10.23.60.3 eq dns
permit tcp any host 10.23.60.3 eq dns
permit udp any host 10.23.60.5 eq dns
permit tcp any host 10.23.60.5 eq dns
remark ALLOW ACCESS TO CACHE01 HTTP/S
permit tcp any host 10.23.60.5 eq http
permit tcp any host 10.23.60.5 eq ssl
remark ALLOW RETURN OF SNMP TRAFFIC TO MON01
permit udp any eq snmp host 10.23.60.81
permit udp any eq snmp-trap host 10.23.60.81
remark DENY ALL OTHER INTER-VLAN TRAFFIC
deny ip any 10.0.0.0 0.255.255.255 log
remark PERMIT REMAINING TRAFFIC
permit ip any any
enable-accounting
In the above example, you will see same-VLAN traffic is permitted while other VLAN traffic can not be sent with a few exceptions (already established TCP from another VLAN, some specific TCP/UDP traffic (remember UDP traffic is never "established"). After being denied access to other VLANs (less the specific allows), all traffic is permitted (to the internet).

Reactions: juju and phekno

dos

Oct 13, 2021
So I am beginning to get my head around ACLs. Below is a snapshot of my pfsense rules for my dmz zone. I am going to shut down the dmz setup on pfsense and move it into the 7250 switch as a layer 3 subnet. So how do I setup the acls to replicate the following:
  1. block dmz access to pfsense admin ports and the management network on the switch
  2. block dmz access to all local subnets
  3. allow exit to the internet
View attachment 20378

In acls for other subnets on the switch, I intend to create specific rules to allow access to some clients in the dmz. Also, is there an equivalent of pfsense aliases in icx switches - like I have in the screenshot above for "admin ports"?
just keep in mind that even though this is a layer 3 switch, it is not an edge router / firewall. unlike nexus switches, these don't support any type of nat, so if you plan to connect this to the internet you will still need something upstream to perfrom snat and dnat.

Reactions: juju

juju

Sep 29, 2021
There are no aliases that I know of in the switch ACLs.

Here's an example you should be able to work from. This is from 8.0.30 firmware not sure if it's the same on 7xxx series firmware.

Code:
ip access-list extended guest-v4
remark DENY ADMIN ACCESS TO SWITCH
deny tcp any host 10.23.15.1 eq ssh log
deny tcp any host 10.23.15.1 eq telnet log
deny tcp any host 10.23.15.1 eq http log
deny tcp any host 10.23.15.1 eq ssl log
remark ALLOW SAME VLAN TRAFFIC
permit ip any 10.23.15.0 0.0.0.255
remark ALLOW DHCP
permit udp any any eq bootps
permit udp any any eq bootpc
remark ALLOW ICMP
permit icmp any any
remark ALLOW ESTABLISHED TCP TRAFFIC
permit tcp any any established
remark ALLOW DNS REQUESTS
permit udp any host 10.23.60.3 eq dns
permit tcp any host 10.23.60.3 eq dns
permit udp any host 10.23.60.5 eq dns
permit tcp any host 10.23.60.5 eq dns
remark ALLOW ACCESS TO CACHE01 HTTP/S
permit tcp any host 10.23.60.5 eq http
permit tcp any host 10.23.60.5 eq ssl
remark ALLOW RETURN OF SNMP TRAFFIC TO MON01
permit udp any eq snmp host 10.23.60.81
permit udp any eq snmp-trap host 10.23.60.81
remark DENY ALL OTHER INTER-VLAN TRAFFIC
deny ip any 10.0.0.0 0.255.255.255 log
remark PERMIT REMAINING TRAFFIC
permit ip any any
enable-accounting
In the above example, you will see same-VLAN traffic is permitted while other VLAN traffic can not be sent with a few exceptions (already established TCP from another VLAN, some specific TCP/UDP traffic (remember UDP traffic is never "established"). After being denied access to other VLANs (less the specific allows), all traffic is permitted (to the internet).
@Blue)(Fusion thanks for this. Will get me started. 3 questions:
  1. Does this allow incoming traffic from another vlan? e.g. I will have a printer sitting in this dmz. Does this restrict access to that printer from other vlans on the network?
  2. The devices in the dmz wont need to talk to each other in the same vlan - e.g. printer and sprinkler system. so remove the rule for same vlan traffic?
  3. when applying to the dmz ve interface, is this for inbound or outbound packets? - ip access-group "dmz acl" in/out

Last edited:

Blue)(Fusion

Mar 1, 2017
Chicago
@Blue)(Fusion thanks for this. Will get me started. 3 questions:
  1. Does this allow incoming traffic from another vlan? e.g. I will have a printer sitting in this dmz. Does this restrict access to that printer from other vlans on the network?
  2. The devices in the dmz wont need to talk to each other in the same vlan - e.g. printer and sprinkler system. so remove the rule for same vlan traffic?
  3. when applying to the dmz ve interface, is this for inbound or outbound packets? - ip access-group "dmz acl" in/out
1. No*. This ACL is meant to be applied as inbound on the VE. In the example ACL, established TCP traffic is permitted to another VLAN that initiated the traffic, but UDP must specifically be allowed on a host, network, and/or port basis. Note in the example ACL, the return path of SNMP requests from devices on the guest network to my LibreNMS server on a different network.
2. Don't quote me but I believe you can modify the rule to allow traffic to the VE gateway IP and traffic bound to other devices on the L2 network will be dropped.
3. Inbound. It's almost always preferable to do inbound ACLs.

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
Still have one ICX7250-48 left for sale, cheapest one I see for sale on ebay without port damage is around 260+40 shipping, I could do $240 including a couple optics or 10gbase-T modules. pickup only tho in northern indianapolis, NO SHIP

some ICX6610s too

Reactions: Jason Antes

custom90gt

Nov 17, 2016
Still have one ICX7250-48 left for sale, cheapest one I see for sale on ebay without port damage is around 260+40 shipping, I could do $240 including a couple optics or 10gbase-T modules. pickup only tho in northern indianapolis, NO SHIP

some ICX6610s too
How much for a 6610? I am enjoying my 6450, but the temptation is there to go with 10GB, lol.

tjk

Mar 3, 2013
Any recommendations for alternatives to the ICX7750-48F's? I am using these as TOR's, but they are now very hard to find on the used market.

Not sure what Arista model would be the equiv that can still run latest code?

Don't need any layer3 features, all layer2 use case, trunking, vlans, etc.

Thanks!

Last edited:

deeceesth

Jul 30, 2021
I have a couple 7250s that came with the L2 only SPS firmware. Initially I ran them as is since the FW was new enough and I was just dipping my toes into the brocade world.

Since then I've flashed them up to 80.0.90 with the L3 SPR firmware. I don't use/need L3 stuff and the guides say it should work fine for L2 only if you don't configure any L3 features.

I have been experiencing strange network issues (can't access anything on my local network or through my firewall for a few minutes at a time) and I suspect it could be the switch with SPR/L3 firmware since they started around the time I did the upgrade. I don't have any evidence other than the timing. Another strange issue is that I can no longer SSH or access the webui (i dont use the webui but it was working in L2 mode) of the switch after flashing the SPR variant. I followed the parts of the guide (as of nov 5) that talk about enabling SSH and the webui and it still doesn't work. I also noticed that the switch doesn't always grab a DHCP lease from my pfsense firewall DHCP server.

Before I go and reflash to L2 fw for diagnostic purposes I thought I'd ask here if anyone has similar experiences or just general knowledge about using these switches in L3 vs L2 mode.
Is there any way that using the L3 firmware could cause issues if I'm trying to use it for L2 only? Is there anything in the guide that could cause some L3 features to be turned on?

LodeRunner

Apr 27, 2019
I'd start by setting a static IP on your management interface. DHCP reservations are usually fine, but I would avoid DHCP for infrastructure. If that doesn't sort it out, backup the config and factory default it.

xzy

Oct 29, 2021
I purchased a Brocade ICX 6450-48 and updated the config as well as setting it up via the docs provided on the first page of the forum.

Due to me finding the stock fans too loud I modified the switch and changed them for the Delta EFB0412VHD-F00 which were advised by another person in this forum.It is a little bit quiter than the stock ones but it's still loud.

I have another fan of the same model.Is it worth using another fan as well or is this expected?

deeceesth

Jul 30, 2021
I'd start by setting a static IP on your management interface. DHCP reservations are usually fine, but I would avoid DHCP for infrastructure. If that doesn't sort it out, backup the config and factory default it.
Yea good point, I have been meaning to do that. I'll try that out before resorting to flashing.

deeceesth

Jul 30, 2021
Update on my network interruption issue.

I set all my infrastructure to static IPs instead of DHCP reservations (7250 48P, 2xR710, and 1xR610). I was still getting the interruptions.
I flashed a 7150 with SPS fw and swapped out the 7250. It appears to be more stable now no interruptions yet. It's very noticeable so I'll know in a day or two if it for sure fixes the issue.

In the mean time I reset the 7250 to factory (still on spr) and manually set it up again. going to swap that back in if the 7150 with sps reproduces the issue.

nieros

Nov 13, 2021
Hello!

I recently acquired one of these neat little 6450 12 port boxes - and followed @fohdeesha 's awesome guide. The only thing that's tweaking me out a bit is the licensing:

Code:
ICX6450-C12PD-Router#show license
Index    Lic Mode        Lic Name               Lid/Serial No  Lic Type    Status     Lic Period    Lic Capacity    
Stack unit 1:
1        Node Lock       ICX6450-PREM-LIC-SW    H4CKTH3PLN8    Normal      Active     Unlimited         1
2        Node Lock       ICX6450-10G-LIC-POD    H4CKTH3PLN8    Normal      Invalid    Unlimited         2

The premium license sticks just fine, but the 10gig doesn't. I redid things from scratch a couple of times, thinking maybe I'd missed something in the process, (and maybe I still am?) I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

Scarlet

Jul 29, 2019
The ICX6450-C12PD is 1G only, with SFP slots instead of SFP+ on the larger ones (24 + 4 SFP+ / 48 + 4 SFP+). For reference, check the datasheet linked in Post #1 of this thread.

That's probably why the 10G license is invalid, it does not need it having not 10G ports.

Reactions: fohdeesha

nieros

Nov 13, 2021
The ICX6450-C12PD is 1G only, with SFP slots instead of SFP+ on the larger ones (24 + 4 SFP+ / 48 + 4 SFP+). For reference, check the datasheet linked in Post #1 of this thread.

That's probably why the 10G license is invalid, it does not need it having not 10G ports.
Well that's where I went wrong. Step 1 *reading the documentation*. For some reason I thought the SFP ports were 10gig. Oh well. Thanks for setting me straight!

63z5mgng

Nov 15, 2021
I just got ICX 7250. Following fohdeesha's guide works perfectly except the SPR08090mc.bin from download page can NOT be flashed to primary. Downloaded 8080f and works fine. In case anyone having the same issue.

Instead doing:
Bash:
#IP of your TFTP server:
setenv serverip 192.168.1.8
setenv image_name ICX7xxx/SPR08090mc.bin
setenv uboot ICX7xxx/spz10118.bin
I did
Bash:
#IP of your TFTP server:
setenv serverip 192.168.1.8
setenv image_name ICX7xxx/SPR08080f.bin
setenv uboot ICX7xxx/spz10114.bin