Drag to reposition cover

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

sergi0

Dec 4, 2016
I used this to hack into my 7450

thanks ! Looking at the pinout on the RJ45, mine wasn't the same ( DSD TECH Câble SH-RJ45P USB vers Console avec Puce PL2303RA pour commutateurs de routeurs Cisco 1.8M / 5.9FT: Amazon.fr: High-tech ), so that might explain why I did not see any prompt !

LodeRunner

Apr 27, 2019
I have a 6450-24p and 7150-c12p that I would like to stack. Firstly, does fastiron support linear stacking (aka chain stacking)? With the limitations of my system and only two switches I really don't need a ring and redundancy is impossible. Second, can the uplink ports on the 7150-c12 be used for stacking? If so, what are the cli commands?

Ultimately I'd like to do a linear stack using one 10g SFP+ connection, but for now I'd like to just get it up and running in a linear stack if possible with a gigabit port.

Thanks guys,
craigr
You can't cross-model stack.

So from reading this post:

It looks like the 6450 may not even support linear stacking because of firmware limitations? The firmware version for the 6450 in @fohdeesha's guide is 08.0.30BT313 (so below 08.0.90). Is 8.0.90 the earliest version that supports linear stacking? If that's the case I'll probably just skip stacking, but I would like the experience of experimenting with a stack as I have never done it before.

Unfortunately, I don't want to open the walls up in my house again because I live in a 1904 built Victorian. Last time I I ran wires I distinctly remember making a mental note that if I ever open them again I'll have major plaster rework to do... not worth it. Right now there are only two CAT6 cables going between the basement where the 6450 is and the second floor office where the 7150 is. Buying two RJ45 10G transceivers would be worth it, but buying four would get a bit expensive. Also, that would leave me with all my 10G ports in use, so no room for running anymore 10G lines.

Man I really want to linear stack though!

craigr

LodeRunner

Apr 27, 2019
So in your use case, what does stacking get you beyond a single management interface that properly configured STP doesn't?

And again, it doesn't matter if the code train you're supports stacking because stacking across different models is not supported. Additionally, Ruckus also notes that stacked switches MUST run the same firmware.

Reactions: CIR-Engineering
So in your use case, what does stacking get you beyond a single management interface that properly configured STP doesn't?

And again, it doesn't matter if the code train you're supports stacking because stacking across different models is not supported. Additionally, Ruckus also notes that stacked switches MUST run the same firmware.
It gets me no benefit other than a single management interface. That seems cool and I just want to learn in the lab because I have never setup a stack before.

I think I have read a number of post where people have successfully stacked using different models? I'm on about page ~125 of this thread.

I did not know the switches had to be on the same firmware. This may kybosh the whole thing or maybe I could downgrade the 7150; haven't looked yet to see if it can be backdated far enough. May not be worth it anyway.

Thanks for your input,
craigr

sergi0

Dec 4, 2016
With a new cable, everything worked fine. The right config for the serial cable is this one :
DTE Pinouts RTS (1), DTR(2), TXD (3), GND (4), GND (5), RXD (6), DSR (7), CTS (8)

S.

I'll try another cable. Do you have a precise reference in mind ? Something I can order via Amazon and test quickly ?
S.

Tcalp

Oct 15, 2020
I am working at configuring a Brocade 6450-48 , anyone around that could help with some IP routing / VLANs so that our address space will work ?

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
Well, from reading this, it does look like the 6450 supports linear stacking...

craigr
it can stack a ton of different ways, with one link linearly or two in a ring, or two parallel, etc, but it will only stack with the same model (other 6450's). It had a limited stacking mode as well where it would stack with a 6610, but it just acted like a dumb L2 port extender and if the 6610 died, the 6450 would as well. long story short, if you want to use the stacking feature, you're gunna have to buy another 6450

Reactions: CIR-Engineering

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
You could get the old Brocade Network advisor to put everything into 1 interface to manage. There are some with *licenses* out there. I run my VDX and ICX through BNA to manage them.
just FYI BNA has been end of life/discontinued for quite some time so I probably wouldn't sink too much time into setting it up and finding licenses if you haven't already @CIR-Engineering

Jason Antes

Feb 28, 2020
Twin Cities
just FYI BNA has been end of life/discontinued for quite some time so I probably wouldn't sink too much time into setting it up and finding licenses if you haven't already @CIR-Engineering
Yeah, it has. I happen to have it and the licenses so it was easy but it can be worth setting up and using given certain needs with older hardware even if you have to find a generous person. It certainly wouldn't be worth buying at this point. It was just another option for this person and I'm not up on if there are better options to get that single pane of glass currently. :)

Reactions: fohdeesha

firworks

May 7, 2021
ICX6610-48P arrived today from eBay. Followed the docs and it worked perfectly. It's all up and updated and connected. Thank you @fohdeesha for the guide. No way I would have ever figured out how to get this thing going on my own.

So far the only problem is the fan in one of the two supplies is much louder than the other. They're both Rev. A but I think it's actually just the fan going out or a bad bearing or something. I guess I'll just have to learn to live with it as the replacement supplies are incredibly expensive compared to the whole switch with two supplies and fan modules.

I'm still waiting for a few cards to arrive to try out 10/40gbe but for now it's working nicely at 1g.

it can stack a ton of different ways, with one link linearly or two in a ring, or two parallel, etc, but it will only stack with the same model (other 6450's). It had a limited stacking mode as well where it would stack with a 6610, but it just acted like a dumb L2 port extender and if the 6610 died, the 6450 would as well. long story short, if you want to use the stacking feature, you're gunna have to buy another 6450
Thanks for the clarification.

Sundar

Oct 31, 2018
Thanks fohdeesha, for this fantastic information.
I am thinking of buying a Brocade ICX-6450-24P.
I only want the basic switch functionality, along with the ability to use one or more 10G SFP+ ports for uplinking to another switch. I will not be using PoE.

Will I need special licenses for this?

ccie4526

Jan 25, 2021
Thanks fohdeesha, for this fantastic information.
I am thinking of buying a Brocade ICX-6450-24P.
I only want the basic switch functionality, along with the ability to use one or more 10G SFP+ ports for uplinking to another switch. I will not be using PoE.

Will I need special licenses for this?
If you don't need the PoE, then look for the ICX6450-24. Save a few cents. You will only need the special licenses if your switch doesn't already have the 2-port 10G adder license.... it supports 2x 10G by default, the adder license enables the second two ports.

I needed the PoE capability on my switch, so picked up the 6450-24P.

Sundar

Oct 31, 2018
ccie4526: Thanks for your quick reply.
I will not be using PoE, but I only find the PoE versions for sale on eBay.
If I am not using PoE, can I disconnect both fans? Do the fans use standard 4-pin connectors?
If I want to enable the second 2 10G ports, how do I get the adder license?

Sundar

Oct 31, 2018
And I suppose the 10G uplink will work (at 10Gbps) with a different model of switch also - I have a Quanta LB9A uplink switch

etherbadger

Jun 20, 2021
Is this what the 10G port adder license looks like? so 2 base + 2 from the license?

SSH@ICX6450-24P>sh lic
Index Lic Mode Lic Name Lid/Serial No Lic Type Status Lic Period Lic Capacity
Stack unit 1:
1 Node Lock ICX6450-10G-LIC-POD dbtF<snip> Normal Active Unlimited 2