Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

Discussion in 'Networking' started by fohdeesha, Jul 12, 2018.

1. kousuke

kousuke New Member

Hey guys,

I was about to make up my mind to get a ICX6610 off ebay until I saw admins ranting about high ICX failure rate to the extent they are switching out vendors. Now, are these switches on ebay prone to failure? or is that there is specific hardware revisions or firmware that I should avoid to navigate around these issues?

Ruckus ICX7150-C12P woes : networking

2. fohdeesha

fohdeesha Kaini Industries

the little icx7150-c12P's have small cheap power supplies, I've had to repair one for someone. No relation to the full size ICX models with Delta OEM PSUs, I think out of this 150 page thread we've had....1 or 2 people come back and say their switch failed? And that's from a sample pool of a bunch of old used switches as well. generally they're built like tanks and will last forever if you don't plug a bunch of outdoors PoE shit into them with no surge protection and then get a nearby lightning strike

pretty much all the software issues they're complaining about in the comments as well were fixed in firmware nearly a year ago ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ (this is why I'm constantly hounding on everyone in this thread to update their ebay switches before posting problems, ruckus fixed a LOT of stuff after the brocade acquisition)

the one complaint there I'll agree with is their first line support can really suck, thankfully nobody here will have to be dealing with that

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
    rnavarro, ewer0012, Aluminat and 2 others like this.
  3. kousuke

kousuke New Member

Many thanks for the prompt reply - do you think I should go with ICX 6610-48 or ICX 6610-48P?

I'm unsure if I should get rid of my PoE+ 24-port midspan. ICX 6610-48 non-POE version does have slightly higher MTBF and lower power consumption - I suppose this is a plus

4. rshakin

rshakin New Member

Want to switch my outdated juniper ex4200 for a ICX6610 -48 so i can have some sfp+ ports for my new homelab, most of the switches I see on ebay don't have the license for the 8 10G port upgrade, are those sold still or where would one acquire one if need be.

5. fohdeesha

reading the first page of the thread would be a good start

6. kousuke

kousuke New Member

Hi fohdeesha,

I read the FAQ like 10 times. Sound to me you can generate and supply the licence files for these switches free of charge to sth members? Wow!

7. klui

klui Member

I have one but brand new. Could you reply with what was the failed component(s) on the C12P you repaired.

Thanks!

8. fohdeesha

no that would be really illegal. I happen to have a bunch that fell off a truck

mathiastro, rnavarro and ewer0012 like this.
  9. fohdeesha

It was the PSU brick. Because of the PoE it wasn't a standard 12v brick either, it was something like 60v

10. kapone

kapone Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

ewer0012 and fohdeesha like this.
  11. marketermac

marketermac New Member

Completely new, thank you so much for this thread. I just built my first PFsense box, so I'm a far cry from an expert here...I've tried to get into 10GB networking with MikroTik (been through 2 of their switches, both lasted less then a week before they needed constant power cycling to come back up, and the POE on both didn't work out of the box to start the units with my unify switch powering them). I'm super interested in getting 10GB and POE on the same switch, but I don't want to drop $1k to do it

With all that said, if I follow the guide on the first page to get setup, and don't want to do anything on my network other then connect my various stuff together, is something like the 6450 basically plug and play? I'm competent enough to setup PFsense, but that's about where my networking knowledge ends lol. I don't have vlans or anything fancy setup, my switch is currently a unify 8 port (4 POE) unit that works, and a monoprice 8 port dumb switch.

12. fohdeesha

yes that's exactly what the config/update guide in the first page does, it gets the switch into a "plug and play" state where it behaves like a typical dumb switch most people are used to. One thing you'll need not mentioned in the guide (been meaning to add them) is PoE commands. They're pretty simple:

to enable PoE power on a port just run the command "inline power" under each port:

For port 6 and 7 for example:

Code:
    enable
    conf t
    int e 1/1/6
    inline power
    int e 1/1/7
    inline power
    write mem
    to view PoE details like power draw just run "show inline power"

13. fohdeesha

It's up to you - I haven't been able to measure any significant power draw differences between the P and non P versions until you enable PoE, and then as expected the draw difference is about whatever the PoE device is drawing. The lower MTBF on the P version is just due to the fact it has an entire second motherboard (twice as much stuff to fail), but it's the PoE daughterboard, and if it fails, the switch will continue working (without PoE). if you already have a midspan I would probably use that, if it's decent it should have some surge protection properties that will hopefully stop the 6610 from getting its PoE board fried if you ever get a nasty static discharge or nearby lightning strike

14. ewer0012

ewer0012 Member

Wanted to post an update about the 6610-48P I bought from Techretire on eBay:

Received the switch, it's in great physical condition. 2 PSU, 2 fans (Was surprised for $125). I was able to update all firmware and configure everything for my lab network, and so far, so good... ish.

The switch keeps surging its fans to the high setting every 6ish minutes for about 30-45 seconds. I was able to confirm this with the logs (can post a sample later if needed). When I look at the temp readings from "sh chassis" right after a fan surge the switch cpu is sitting at 70C, and it kicks up to high at 76C.

I find this temp to be strange, considering I have an identical switch right above it running no more than 60C on any sensor, and it's running 40Gbe to my storage array, 2 breakout ports to my Nutanix cluster, and all 8 SFP+ ports are populated... So all of my heavy network traffic, VLANs, replication, transfers... All going through my first 6610-48P and it's rock solid at 60C.

I haven't gotten a chance to crack open the new switch, yet, but was going to do that to check for dust and such when I get home. Can anyone think of anything else I should take a look at when I have it open?

15. fohdeesha

are they reverse airflow psus/fans?

16. ewer0012

ewer0012 Member

They're all Front to Back in both switches.

17. fohdeesha

rare case of switch cancer

18. ewer0012

ewer0012 Member

Damnit, not the cancers! I might pull the top off just to see if there's anything noticeable that I can do for it. If not, I'll see if the seller will exchange it. o_O Thanks, foh. As always, you're the man.

19. fohdeesha

yeah I would definitely open it up and look inside, especially if there's an identical switch above it running much cooler. the PSUs are responsible for most of the airflow, so I would visually inspect those and feel the air coming out of them and see if it's roughly the same airflow as the switch above it as well

20. NYCone

NYCone New Member

A word of thanks to fohdeesha.

I bought an ICX 6610, and three MCX354A-QCBTs. I followed the guides and was able to get rid of two Quanta switches and 7 Poe injectors. Now, I also have a 40GBe link to my ESXi server.

This is the best deal I've seen in a long time!

Thanks for the great work!