Drag to reposition cover

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

techfan32

Mar 22, 2024
I just bought a Brocade ICX7250 48 port version. Can anyone help with how I can mount this in my 4 post server rack? It came with rack ears for the front, but not rails. Do I need specific rails, or am I better off just putting it on a shelf? Thanks for any advice!

Reactions: TeleFragger

TonyArrr

Sep 22, 2021
Straylia
I just bought a Brocade ICX7250 48 port version. Can anyone help with how I can mount this in my 4 post server rack? It came with rack ears for the front, but not rails. Do I need specific rails, or am I better off just putting it on a shelf? Thanks for any advice!
Anecdotally, my 7250-24p has been pretty happy in my rack with just the front rack ears

TeleFragger

Oct 26, 2016
i just have mine screwed with the ears...no rails...I figure ai have no need to pull it our as all the cables would prevent it.

john389

May 21, 2022
Has anyone ever looked into the image files of a ICX7250 and seen if BGP could be enabled for it? As someone in this thread pointed out, there are old pdfs that explicitly state, that it has BGP support. Obviously it doesn't now, but what is really the limitation here, if at some point in time Brocade expected it to have it?

servethehomefan

Mar 31, 2024
On a ICX 6450 48P how many POE devices can I have enabled? I see in the Datasheet it says all can be POE ports and PoE+ (30 watts) to all ports when an external power supply is deployed.

Few questions about this:
1. How many watts can this unit deliver for POE (and if different, PoE+) without an external power supply?
2. If needing an external power supply, what is a model number to acquire?
3. What is the CLI command for enabling PoE versus PoE+ and will the unit enable up to a certain limit?

I am trying to figure out if 8 POE cameras and 8 POE access points will all be successfully powered from this 6450-48P.
The 8 POE cameras are 802.3af with maximum current of 350mA each.
The access points are not purchased but will likely be Ruckus R350 or R550 so their specs say maximum power consumption of 12.62W each.

sic0048

Dec 24, 2018
On a ICX 6450 48P how many POE devices can I have enabled?
The spec sheet says the POE power budget of the 6450 48P using just the internal power supply is 780 watts. As long as your individual devices draw 30 watts or less (the POE+ power rating that the switch is designed to supply), and the total wattage of all the connected POE devices is less than 780 watts, you will be fine powering them from just the internal power supply.

Obviously with as few devices that you are trying to connect, you will have no problems with plenty of power to spare.

UnbentTulip

Feb 7, 2024
With the PoE stuff I get confused by Ruckus. Their data sheet for the 7250 series lists a "Maximum Poe+ class 4 ports" then says 30W maximum. But class 4 poe is 100W (max). Then under IEEE standards compliance it lists 802.3at which aligns with the 30W, but that's class 2..?

Do you have to get into the more rare Z models to get 802.3bt?

UnbentTulip

Feb 7, 2024
Reactions: NablaSquaredG

TonyArrr

Sep 22, 2021
Straylia
I appreciate that. I was misinformed from where I got the information. There's CLASS 1-8 and then TYPE 1-4. Where I got my information a decent while ago listed type as "class", thus my confusion, and thinking there's only the 4.
And now I know too. I do very little with PoE but what lookup I had done had left me thinking “class” and “type” were interchangeable terms in PoE context too

Reactions: TeleFragger

TeleFragger

Oct 26, 2016
And now I know too. I do very little with PoE but what lookup I had done had left me thinking “class” and “type” were interchangeable terms in PoE context too
i do little too... other than plugging them in!!!! :p
got 7 ReoLink POE CCTV cameras in, need to install 8th then done...

nl635

Apr 14, 2024
I have ordered an icx6450-48P for my future homelab (140€, best price I could get here in Central Europe). It should arrive next week.

If I understand correctly, I will not be able to configure it without a serial cable. This should be the same cable that is used for older Cisco devices.

So, can I just order a generic Cisco cable knockoff (plus, of course, a generic RS232 to USB adapter) and configure the switch via that? Something like this: Delock Products 63341 Delock Adapter RS-232 DB9 female > 1 x Serial RS-232 RJ45 male 1 m

I know this has probably been answered a thousand times, but I did not find a definitive answer and I do not want to waste about 2 weeks waiting for the wrong cable.

//EDIT: It looks like RX and TX pin is swapped if compared to the blue cisco cable, does that mean that cisco cables(including cisco knocknoff which I posted) wont work?

Last edited:

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
I have ordered an icx6450-48P for my future homelab (140€, best price I could get here in Central Europe). It should arrive next week.

If I understand correctly, I will not be able to configure it without a serial cable. This should be the same cable that is used for older Cisco devices.

So, can I just order a generic Cisco cable knockoff (plus, of course, a generic RS232 to USB adapter) and configure the switch via that? Something like this: Delock Products 63341 Delock Adapter RS-232 DB9 female > 1 x Serial RS-232 RJ45 male 1 m

I know this has probably been answered a thousand times, but I did not find a definitive answer and I do not want to waste about 2 weeks waiting for the wrong cable.

//EDIT: It looks like RX and TX pin is swapped if compared to the blue cisco cable, does that mean that cisco cables(including cisco knocknoff which I posted) wont work?
its the same as cisco and every other rj45 serial pinout, cisco cables work. you want the rx and tx swapped compared to the pc facing cable, otherwise you'd be tx'ing signals at a tx line, and have two rx lines connected to eachother listening to nothing

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
Hahahaha, RS232, that takes me back to the 80's...always some brainiac in the room splurting out DCE's & DTE's :D
In this case it's DTE > DTE, i.e. crossed over pairs, so TX - RX in each direction, where's my prize? :D:D