Brocade ICX 6610 Serial Port Pinout

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

vitus13

Mar 26, 2022
I bought a 6610 second hand. I saw references on the forum that this RJ45 USB serial cable was compatible. I already had on hand some CH340/341 USB-TTL devices so I decided to just make my own. I cut off the end of an ethernet cable and soldered the wires to a breakout board. I measured the voltages on them and it doesn't make sense.

The 6610 installation guide, on page 88, says the pinout is:

1 Not supported N/A
2 Not supported N/A
3 UART0_TXD Transmit data
4 GND Logic ground
5 GND Logic ground
6 UART0_RXD Receive data
7 Not supported N/A
8 Not supported N/A

The Amazon product listing also shows a similar pinout (modulo TX/RX):

1 CTS
2 DSR
3 RXD
4 GND
5 GND
6 TXD
7 DTR
8 RTS
9 NC

But when I measure the voltages I see:

1 GND
2 +6.5V
3 +6.5V
4 +6.5V
5 +6.5V
6 GND
7 GND
8 GND

So I'm a bit confused. Pins 4 and 5 are supposed to be the ground pins. Even if I was looking at it upside down, 4 and 5 should still be the ground pins. This is making me worried that the serial port on this device is defective.

I fired up minicom at the recommended settings (9600, 8 bit, no parity, 1 stop bit), hooked up the GND cable to pin 1, and tried attaching my RX to each of the 6.5V pins in series while rebooting. None of them produced any output at all in minicom. I also tried hooking up my GND to ping 4 and my RX to pin 3 per the installation manual but also didn't get any output.

vitus13

Mar 26, 2022
Following up. The issue was actually not with the pins out the switch's side, but on the cheap USB extension cable. As soon as I removed that it started working.

As far as what the "standard Cisco" pinout is, here's a link to a Cisco PDF for reference.

SignalConsole PortRJ-45 PinDB-9 PinSignal
RTS187CTS
DTR274DSR
TxD363RxD
GND455GND
GND545GND
RxD632TxD
DSR726DTR
CTS818RTS

They define Pin 1 on the RJ-45 on the switch as being the rightmost pin when the slot for the retention tab is facing up. That means, when you are looking at the underbelly of an RJ-45 cable (tab facing down) Pin 1 is on the left.

Last edited: