Bridge Garage to House Network

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

canta

Nov 26, 2014
Currently using Blue Iris :)

Would love to find something better and affordable if such a thing exists.

I'm testing some WiFi cameras at my house, but in my parents area they get 8-10 WiFi signals so i'd prefer to keep the hackable cameras to a minimum :D Even the $100-200$ seem to be popping up with "hacks" or backdoors. I don't think they're going to shell out $1k+ for "real" security cameras either :D :D Although, I'm trying to go for some wide and some narrow so we can get plates.
hahah :D, like "a thing exists"

all my cameras are dummy, aka just streaming to zoneminder constantly. I disable everything! except video streaming
two old cameras are on wireless: garage and loft. garage camera sometimes randomly disconnected from wifi. the only solution is power on and off. DLINK camera on loft gives me no wifi headache.
the rest of cameras are wired. I marry with wired and am happily ever after hahah:p

Reactions: T_Minus

markarr

Oct 31, 2013
Cool Thanks @PigLover

Maybe someday I'll look into what you "do" for high power options, would love to do a 45mi distance MW Tower :D if it can be done for 10k$-25k.
Although I think the elevation change may be more of a problem (3600' down to 1000' approx).
Why MW? You could look at the Ubiquiti airFiber radios. The AF5 can go that distance, the new AF-5x can go further just need external dishes, a set of AF5's is 2k. I had a set of the AF24 5mi apart and got 650mb synchronous.

Ubiquiti Networks - airFiber®

Reactions: T_Minus

Blazer

Jul 25, 2015
T-minus what did u use for camera's if u don't mind sharing, just now starting to setup a simple security system of about 3 outdoor fixed POE camera's and there are many to choose from.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
I don't recall what models my folks have at their place, but for my place it's a mix of cameras.

- Ubiquiti 3 Pack
- ZMODO (various)
- HIKVISION / GENERICS of
- PANASONIC P/T/Z Dome (just got this one off ebay we'll see how it is most $ camera I have now)

All my cameras but the Panasonic I got new, and were <$100/each. Some are 720p some are 1080 some are more I believe.

katit

Mar 18, 2015
I'm surprised nobody mentioned Mikrotik yet. This is part of what they do.. Affordable too.

As far as cameras - WiFi - understandable (kind of), but network cameras don't make much sense, at least from what I understand. If you use baloons - 1 CAT5e will carry regular camera signal + Power. So, 1 wire - 1 camera. Regular cameras plentiful and affordable. So is DVR's. I have 16 channels DVR + 10 cameras - whole setup running on CAT5e cable for 2+ years now.