Bricked my Netgear Switch... help & opinions on replacement

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Updated to latest firmware on my GS752TPX and it bricked.
Power cycled hoping it was a glitch, same thing, all lights on but can't access the web gui.

Never had this happen with a switch before... do I attempt to factory reset then try the firmware again?
Return it to Netgear and then sell it when it comes back as their turn around is super slow I've heard and I need it online yesterday...

Suggested replacements? L3 and 4 SFP+ are the main requirements, as well as ability to purchase a couple of them, and not idling at 100w is a goal :) this will be in my rack then end up in datacenter.

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
also, looking that switch up, it seems it's worth a few hundred dollars, so probably worth trying to recover it. It seems it doesn't have an external console port, but I'd be willing to bet it has a debug header inside, and probably stores the bootloader on standard SPI flash. Shouldn't be too hard to recover. Are you in the US? I can probably do it, but you'd have to cover shipping :)

if you haven't already, try a factory reset if it has a physical button to do so

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
also, looking that switch up, it seems it's worth a few hundred dollars, so probably worth trying to recover it. It seems it doesn't have an external console port, but I'd be willing to bet it has a debug header inside, and probably stores the bootloader on standard SPI flash. Shouldn't be too hard to recover. Are you in the US? I can probably do it, but you'd have to cover shipping :)

if you haven't already, try a factory reset if it has a physical button to do so
It has factory reset button, and will (should atleast) revert back to the old firmware I believe.

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
not missing out on anything, they're some of the most reliable/feature packed switches I've ever used (check the main thread, 30+ pages of members very happy with them). (they're also not particularly "old-gen" either, they're still under active software development: latest fw was just a couple weeks ago). They're cheap because the 10gbE ports and advanced routing features require an extra license, so as-is on ebay they're basically 1gbe switches. However as mentioned in my thread I can provide full licenses to any existing STH members

edit: that said, the STH demand did drive prices up a bit on ebay, with POE they go closer to $200, need to edit my OP

Reactions: KC8FLB and Evan

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
Power cycled hoping it was a glitch, same thing, all lights on but can't access the web gui.
Maybe it reset all settings and is running it's own dhcp server/network?
I had that experience with a tp link switch...

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
Maybe it reset all settings and is running it's own dhcp server/network?
I had that experience with a tp link switch...
Every light is on similar to boot up, but instead every light remains on, I think that's a fault.

I'll try though :)