Brand New C6220 II stuck at 'configuring memory'

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

adnan

Apr 23, 2017
Hello All,

I bought a couple brand new C6220 IIs, well it was a display model, but has zero mileage. Second one is still in the box, opened one of them today.

There's only 3 days if I want to send this back, otherwise I'm stuck with it.

It's stuck on 'Configuring Memory', and fans are at full speed.

I have 64GB Ram in this one node, 8 Samsung sticks and two E5-2670 v2 processors. Now if I only leave 2 memory sticks in it, it boots fine. With 8 sticks, it is stuck on this 'configuring memory'. I'm attaching a screenshot.

I have updated the bios to 2.7.1 and the bmc firmware is 2.5.3, tried to update but it said this file cannot be run in dos.

What I think is going on is that it is doing a long memory test in the background, which takes like a day to complete.

Any ideas?

configmem.JPG

adnan

Apr 23, 2017
Now if I only leave 2 memory sticks in it, it boots fine.
From my original message.

I noticed one of the cpu socket pins were very slightly bent. Possibly could be related, don't know.

I filled up 2 more sleds, they work alright.

Would you know if this would take the v1 cpus also or is it strictly v2? If not can I mix sleds? Meaning, put in a regular 6220 sled in this machine along with the 6220 II sleds.

Another thing I noticed. Every few minutes, the fans start spinning at full blast for a few seconds, then come back down. Do you know if this is normal.