BPN-SAS2-846EL1 broken?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Chrysen

Jul 8, 2023
Hi

Let me ask you a question.

I had ordered a used Supermicro 846 case.
It contains a BPN-SAS2-846EL1 backplane.
All 6 molex power connectors are connected as well as the sff 8087 connector in the pri0 port on the far right to the controller.

When you boot the system the 12v, 5v and activity leds come on. However, no HDD boots (there is a very quiet click). If you plug in an SSD, the activity LED from the drive comes on, but not for very long.

Checked the jumper and tested 2 controllers without success.

Have of course tested other sas cables, different hdds and all possible ports from the backplane.

Tested with

9260 LSI -4i
Inspur LSI 9300-8i

Maybe someone has an idea.

Many greetings

rtech

Jun 2, 2021
I dont own Supermicro 846... and im too lazy to read through sas backplane manual.
Are the disks behind the expander bootable? Why dont you try to boot from your motherboards SATA attached disk.

Chrysen

Jul 8, 2023
So currently I boot via usb in unraid.

When an SSD is connected and the LED turns on for a few seconds, it is still not displayed in the system.
The controller without backplane works fine.

No HDD starts on the backplane.

The manual I have searched a few times but no error found.
Will test another power supply tomorrow maybe that's where the error lies.

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
Is the backplane at least recognized by the HBAs? You should be able to look at the SAS topology and see.

Chrysen

Jul 8, 2023
I don't know where you can see if the hba recognizes the backpanel.
In the settings of the hba I can see that no disk is detected.

Thought that at system startup all Hdds must also start.
Or start the Hdds only later when the connection between hba and backpanel without problems?

Chrysen

Jul 8, 2023
On all controllers with multiple cables and on all slots of the backplane nothing appears in the sas topology.

Stankyjawnz

Aug 2, 2017
Sounds broken to me, any damage that you see to the backplane? i'd try to negotiate seller provide you some compensation so you can get another backplane. It is not too bad to remove and replace, at least then shipment of the heavy server is avoided.

Chrysen

Jul 8, 2023
Have also tried the other power supply and the SMC expanderxtools lite. Both unsuccessful. Also in the software only the controller appears but not the backplane. Probably the really defective, even if the LEDs at least indicate a lifetime.
I had also removed the backplane.
A damage was not to be recognized.
Will then order another backplane and report.

Chrysen

Jul 8, 2023
I just installed a new backplane and it worked right away. I have now installed the sas 3 backplane.