Bounty - FREE DISKS if you can figure it out. Struggling with these Toshiba PX02SMU080 800GB SAS SED SSDs

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

SloppyDisk

Jul 18, 2023
Hey everyone,

I've been struggling to unlock some 800GB Toshiba (NetApp) 520 Format SED SSDs. I've tried parted magic and a few other things with no success. The only thing I have been able to figure out is to modify the grub config on my ubuntu server to allow priviliged ATA commands. I've tried the disks both in the caddy with interposer (NetApp Caddy) and in and out of the NetApp Diskshelf.

Have a supermicro 24 bay server with a pass-through HBA to test with.

I'm thinking two of the easiest potential issues are either the barcode scanner not scanning the PSID correctly (it's a very common symbol/zebra scan gun, but maybe the psid is case sensitive or something?) or Parted Magic booting via UEFI does not have the ability to send "privileged ATA commands"

I've also tried to figure out SEDUtil, but all of the guides I have been able to find are painfully bad and lacking any detail into the process.

I'm willing to reward anyone who can figure this out, as I don't have any more time to figure these disks out. Would prefer to not shred 200+ good disks but if it comes to it, then I may have to. I'm not giving you all 200 drives, lol but I will make it worth your while. Or we can work it out with some other hardware I have!

Tried to add a photo but STH forum errors out each time.

Best,

SloppyDisk

SloppyDisk

Jul 18, 2023
These are SAS disks no?
Yup, SAS 12Gbps. Can't figure out how to unlock the disk. 520 Format is not the problem. I think someone did a lazy wipe on these drives and did not properly wipe them. There is a written PSID on the label, as well as a QR/ Barcode.

mattventura

Nov 9, 2022
The part that stands out to me is that "privileged ATA commands" doesn't make sense in the context of a SAS drive.

Which sedutil commands did you try? Does `sedutil PSIDrevert <psid> /dev/whatever` work?

SloppyDisk

Jul 18, 2023
The part that stands out to me is that "privileged ATA commands" doesn't make sense in the context of a SAS drive.

Which sedutil commands did you try? Does `sedutil PSIDrevert <psid> /dev/whatever` work?
To be honest I'm not entirely sure what it means in the context of a SAS drive but the one thing I did read was you have to change the grub config in order to do a PSIDrevert when booting your OS via UEFI or EFI. I'm not entirely sure why.

Thanks, I'll give it another shot and report back.

mr44er

Feb 22, 2020
Your HBA needs to be in IT Mode.
Connect a disk without interposer or connect it directly to your mainboard via SATA. Write down the PSID manually from this disk.
Pls give output of
smartctl -q noserial -x /dev/sdX

Basic:
Possible that it is a bug:
Basic2:

Another variant could be, that NetApps add anything to the PSID and manipulate it. NAPSID could be possible, speaking simply, but I don't know that.

Edit:
Should be that disk

Last edited:

厉无咎

Dec 13, 2022
Sedutil-cli needs to work in the right environment, I mean the operating system, the array card and the working mode of the array card need to be correct to execute commands correctly.

SloppyDisk

Jul 18, 2023
sudo ./sedutil_cli --query /dev/sdd

response:

"Invalid or unsupportted disk /dev/sdd"

For reference:

/dev/sdd is "NETAPP X440_PHM2800MCTO /dev/sdd /dev/sg4"

SloppyDisk

Jul 18, 2023
SuperMicro 24 bay Chassis with a built in LSI raid card. Should be in the right mode, as all disks show up as a JBOD.

--scan with sedutil reports /dev/sdd as "No" or not OPAL compliant.

Output from smartctl as requested.

sudo smartctl -q noserial --x /dev/sdd
[sudo] password for testr:
smartctl 7.2 2020-12-30 r5155 [x86_64-linux-6.2.0-34-generic] (local build)
Copyright (C) 2002-20, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, www.smartmontools.org

=== START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
Vendor: NETAPP
Product: X440_PHM2800MCTO
Revision: NA05
User Capacity: 812,668,671,360 bytes [812 GB]
Logical block size: 520 bytes
Physical block size: 4160 bytes
LU is resource provisioned, LBPRZ=1
Rotation Rate: Solid State Device
Form Factor: 2.5 inches
Device type: disk
Transport protocol: SAS (SPL-3)
Local Time is: Fri Oct 20 15:29:32 2023 EDT
SMART support is: Available - device has SMART capability.
SMART support is: Enabled
Temperature Warning: Enabled
Read Cache is: Enabled
Writeback Cache is: Disabled

=== START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===
SMART Health Status: OK

Percentage used endurance indicator: 1%
Current Drive Temperature: 30 C
Drive Trip Temperature: 65 C

Manufactured in week 12 of year 2016
Error counter log:
Errors Corrected by Total Correction Gigabytes Total
ECC rereads/ errors algorithm processed uncorrected
fast | delayed rewrites corrected invocations [10^9 bytes] errors
read: 0 0 0 0 0 1048396.116 0
write: 0 0 0 0 0 783439.701 0
verify: 0 0 0 0 0 160487.896 0

Non-medium error count: 4551

No Self-tests have been logged

Background scan results log
Accumulated power on time, hours:minutes 60078:09 [3604689 minutes]
Number of background scans performed: 0, scan progress: 0.00%
Number of background medium scans performed: 0

Protocol Specific port log page for SAS SSP
relative target port id = 1
generation code = 0
number of phys = 1
phy identifier = 0
attached device type: expander device
attached reason: loss of dword synchronization
reason: unknown
negotiated logical link rate: phy enabled; 6 Gbps
attached initiator port: ssp=0 stp=0 smp=0
attached target port: ssp=0 stp=0 smp=1
attached phy identifier = 35
Invalid DWORD count = 0
Running disparity error count = 0
Loss of DWORD synchronization = 0
Phy reset problem = 0
relative target port id = 2
generation code = 0
number of phys = 1
phy identifier = 1
attached device type: no device attached
attached reason: unknown
reason: unknown
negotiated logical link rate: phy enabled; unknown
attached initiator port: ssp=0 stp=0 smp=0
attached target port: ssp=0 stp=0 smp=0
attached phy identifier = 0
Invalid DWORD count = 4
Running disparity error count = 4
Loss of DWORD synchronization = 1
Phy reset problem = 0

mr44er

Feb 22, 2020
The normal version would be a Toshiba PX02SMU080. Specs: https://media.dustin.eu/media/d200001001270133/px02smf020-document.pdf

520 Format is not the problem
I'm not so sure atm.
--scan with sedutil reports /dev/sdd as "No" or not OPAL compliant.
Either that is correct, some bug , or special NetApp-Lock.

When you tried formatting to 512b on linux, what happens, what does it say? Could you give a log?

My maybe better idea1: try formatting this disk in linux to 4096b sector size, that's the regular Physical block size.

My maybe better idea2 (if 1 fails):

Try FreeBSD, fastest way could be a bootable nomadBSD from pen drive: NomadBSD

Code:
camcontrol devlist    #lists your drives, /dev/ada0-X = SATA, /dev/da0-X = HBA
camcontrol cmd daX -v -c "15 10 0 0 v:i1 0" 12 -o 12 "0 0 0 8 0 0:i3 0 v:i3" 4096
camcontrol format daX -v
Pls create logs of this and post them.

mattventura

Nov 9, 2022
Yeah, it's worth asking - did you try a plain sg_format first? e.g (sg_format --format --size=512 -v /dev/sg4) (or 4096 if it's a 4kn drive). I had just assumed that wouldn't work due to SED.

SloppyDisk

Jul 18, 2023
Yeah, it's worth asking - did you try a plain sg_format first? e.g (sg_format --format --size=512 -v /dev/sg4) (or 4096 if it's a 4kn drive). I had just assumed that wouldn't work due to SED.

I did in fact try a regular sg_format, as I've had success with locked HDDs before by changing the block size then flashing the firmware. Toshiba firmware is a joke and non-existent. Not that that would help here.

I got an error for drive permissions or something similar when I attempted to run it. Something about the security state of the drive. I have already modified the grub config as per some SEDUtil guides.

So I have to be able to unlock it to write to it.

And I am pretty sure I also tried the disk identifier instead of /dev/sdd, and got the same error. Can post it if that helps.

Reactions: Tickety-boo

mr44er

Feb 22, 2020
This is the previous firmware file. I don't know if it's signed (ontap required bla) or if it helps in any way.

Code:
sg_write_buffer -vvvvv -m 5 -l 4096 -i X440_PHM2800MCTO.NA04.LOD /dev/sgX
or
sg_write_buffer -vvvvv -m 7 -l 4096 -i X440_PHM2800MCTO.NA04.LOD /dev/sgX
Maybe try same command a second time after waiting some seconds. Pls give all log output etc. as much as possible. Replug/power off/on the drive to resettle/activate firmware change, try again for access etc.

Attachments

Reactions: Tickety-boo

SloppyDisk

Jul 18, 2023
This is the previous firmware file. I don't know if it's signed (ontap required bla) or if it helps in any way.

Code:
sg_write_buffer -vvvvv -m 5 -l 4096 -i X440_PHM2800MCTO.NA04.LOD /dev/sgX
or
sg_write_buffer -vvvvv -m 7 -l 4096 -i X440_PHM2800MCTO.NA04.LOD /dev/sgX
Maybe try same command a second time after waiting some seconds. Pls give all log output etc. as much as possible. Replug/power off/on the drive to resettle/activate firmware change, try again for access etc.

Thanks! I will give this a try tonight/tommorow. Do not have time today to screw around with these drives.