[BOUNTY] ESXi GPU Passthrough [ERROR 43]

Discussion in 'VMware, VirtualBox, Citrix' started by Helloworld123, May 22, 2019.

1. Helloworld123

Helloworld123 New Member

Hello!

I am looking for someone that can fix the error 43 on my VM's.
    Running on ESXi 6.0.0 U2 with specs:
    Intel i7 - 7700
    NVIDIA GTX 1080

Things I've tried:
    - Using both Windows 10 and Windows Server 2016, both result in error 43.
    - Adding the following parameters to the VM configuration:
    > hypervisor.cpuid.fv0 = false
    > SMBIOS.reflectHost = true
    > pciPassthru0.msiEnabled = false

Not really looking for advice, but just would prefer someone that can just finally get this job done.
    (As I've had too many headaches from trying to fix this myself)

Will be giving you a nice reward for your time.

Looking forward to hearing from people who have successfully fixed this issue.

Thank you.

Last edited: May 22, 2019
  2. marcoi

marcoi Well-Known Member

@Helloworld123 List your hardware and software versions. Also list what PCI Slot your video card is in. What steps you tried to resolve the issues? When does the issue happen? etc.

3. TRACKER

TRACKER New Member

What is brand/model of video card?

4. zir_blazer

zir_blazer Active Member

I can bet that you're doing passthrough of a GeForce. Sadly, I can't give you precise instructions since I use QEMU-KVM-VFIO, not VMWare ESXi. It may also depend on specific card generation and Driver version.

nVidia doesn't like for people to use their consumer GeForces under passthrough scenarios since that is a feature that they officially reserve for Quadros. They control this at a Driver level. The Driver checks if it is running in a VM environment by checking some stuff (Exposure of some specific CPUID Leafs related to the Hypervisor and Windows Hyper-V), then refuses to load. The solution is to figure out what do you have to tell the Hypervisor to hide (Assuming that ESXi can do so), or maybe using modded Drivers, which I think that there were available at some point on github.

5. m_b

m_b New Member

I have a similar setup (though on ESXi 6.5) - have you added "hypervisor.cpuid.v0 = FALSE" to the .vmx file? This stops ESXi reporting to the guest OS that its running as a VM.

6. nk215

nk215 Active Member

Hiding the GPU from the hypervisor only works if you connect the monitor to the output of the GPU as in multihead setup. It won't work if you want to do remote graphic such as PCoIP, RPD etc.

Furthermore, the solution only works with certain GeForce cards (10xx cards work).

7. m_b

m_b New Member

That's fair - if you want to run headless you'll need "modified" drivers or some kind of hardware device that emulates a connected monitor (I've seen Headless Ghost mentioned a lot on different forums).

@Helloworld123 To be helpful, we need to know a little more about your set up (e.g., Windows version, graphics card model, is there a connected monitor or are you running headless, etc.)

8. Helloworld123

Helloworld123 New Member

Hello there, thank you for all your responses.

I am running the server headless from a remote dedicated server.
    So I have no attached monitor, and am looking to control it through RDP.

Like you could have guessed, I am using an nvidia card, a GTX 1080 to be exact + Intel core i7 -7700 CPU.

I have tried adding the following to the .vmx file as well:
    hypvisor.cpuid.v0 = false
    pciPassthru0.msiEnabled = false
    SMBIOS.reflectHost = true

I've tried doing this on Windows 10 and Windows server 2016.

9. Helloworld123

Helloworld123 New Member

upload_2019-5-22_21-9-37.png
    upload_2019-5-22_21-13-9.png

Anyone that would be interested in having a look through anyDesk?

Attached Files:

10. m_b

m_b New Member

It sounds like you're hitting the nVidia driver restriction - all their consumer graphics cards need to have a monitor connected (or at least one of the cards in an SLI setup). I haven't needed to get headless working for my own set-up, but quickly googling around suggests a couple options:
    1. Buy a Headless Ghost (~$20) and plug that into the card to trick the driver into thinking there's a monitor attached

2. Follow the instructions at [GUIDE] Fix Nvidia Code 43 Issue on Nvidia GPU to create a patched driver that bypasses the restriction.

11. Helloworld123

Helloworld123 New Member

Yeah, it's a dedicated server in a datacenter, so the first option won't be possible.

For the second fix, would you be able to assist me trying to bypass it this way via anyDesk?
    I am unsure what to do, and if I am going to mess up because there's instructions for HyperV.

Thanks