Bootproblems Supermicro M11SDV-8CT-LN4F + Broadcom MegaRAID 9260-8i

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

haudegen1993

May 20, 2021
Hey Guys,
i hope this is the right forum and u can help me :)
i have the combination: Supermicro M11SDV-8CT-LN4F + Broadcom MegaRAID 9260-8i, with 32gb dual channel ddr4 2133 regECC and 4x Seagate Ironwolf 500GB 125 NAS SSD in Raid 10.

My problem is - the mainboard and raid controller combination confuses me.

i tried uefi only, legacy only and dual mode in bios - tested all bios settings, disabled everything i dont need - nothing helps...

in uefi mode: sometimes windows boots up but most of the time system start hangs at: DXE--Bios PCI Bus Enumeration 92, sometimes it hangs at Ready to Boot....

in legacy mode: most of the time it says: F/W is in Fault State - MFI Register State 0xFFFFFFF F/W has indicated system reset is required. System will reboot now...
other times it loads firmware up and i see the drives and virtual drive, but it reboots too.

i have tested another 9260-8i to exclude an faulty raid controller, but no.
the first one has firmware around august 2013, the other one the latest firmware (around mid 2015)

whats really confusing is, that sometimes i can boot into windows, install drivers, etc. but the next time i reboot, its happening all over again...

i hope u have some hints for me.

haudegen1993

May 20, 2021
yeah its way oversized 550w cooler master mwe gold v2 atx 2.52
this night, the problem didnt gave me peace - so i thought - the heatsink on the lsi controller is hot like hell - so i decided to test to cool it down with a little 80mm fan blowing on it.
now im at like 9 of 10 successful (re)boots

cpu temp is totally fine - cinebench r23 run: cpu tctl/tdie max 58°C - cpu die average max 89°C --- but like 10 min cinebench runs arent the normal usage :D

im wondering why this time the lsi controller temps are such a big problem. i have severals of them running, even in normal tower cases with no direct airflow onto it with no problems.