Book: Community Building on the Web

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Boddy

Oct 25, 2014
Community Building on the Web, by Amy Jo Kim. (c) 2000 Peachpit Press, ISBN 0-201-87484-9

I found this book many years ago in a bargain bin at a bookstore, and recently began reading it.
It was written when the internet was much younger (evident in the screenshots of webpages) by author who had set up various communities for AOL and others.

For budding web community builders and forum makers: it provides a framework to establishing and maintaining a web community. It has many worthwhile ideas.

Other than web hosting, building a popular web community could we a viable business if you can attract advertising and sales for relevant businesses (commissions). I have heard of stories such as a person who suffered from back pain, who started a successful and popular blog. And recently a mother who established a platform for other entrepreneurs who are mothers who would like to work from home/web ( a growing group).
Mums & Co: bringing up baby - and business

Food for thought.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Old, but not THAT old ;) ha ha!!

Old-time communities `online` I recall were dialing into a BBS and good`ol ANSI and ASCII art!