Black Diamond? SSD and memory "proven manufacturer"??

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

jac

Oct 21, 2012
Bellevue, WA
I've been around the I.T. industry a while (at least a week now!) with years of personal and corporate shopping for server and desktop components.... and I've never seen or heard of these guys until recently.

Black Diamond Memory|About Us

The claim of "decades of experience" and to be "a proven manufacturer" are curious.
Have I been missing these guys and they've been in the retail space for decades??
Or are they a foundry that is moving to break into retail distribution?
Or are they cast offs from some other company?
What do you know of them outside of that splash page?

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Never heard of them, sounds like they just brand somebody else’s stuff for DRAM.
I would stick with the big names always on ssd and dram, unless it was just for cheap as possible home use.

Jeggs101

Dec 29, 2010
What else are they going to say? Everyone is a proven leader in their industry.

If you want a proven manufacturer of RAM and SSDs Samsung or Micron

jac

Oct 21, 2012
Bellevue, WA
If they are new, the truth would get them more customers. Everybody flocks to the new store in town.

Marketing 101, "Grand Opening"

EffrafaxOfWug

Radioactive Member
Feb 12, 2015
IIRC this used to be a marque for Mitsubishi AV stuff, at least in the UK. They've been cropping up here and there for a couple of years now I think, but mostly on amazon/newegg third-party marketplace and thus seemed about as bent as a nine bob note to me. No-one ever seemed to review any of their stuff so I assumed they were either dodgy or highly regional (e.g. not having any presence outside of china or whatever).

Edit: some search-fu even showed up someone asking the same question from back in 2006. I've not found anyone say they're an outright scam operation so likely just a low-tier OEM with some so-average-they're-meh products, but unless they're drastically cheaper I'd avoid. FWIW from the screens on their website the SSDs are using Marvell controllers and the DIMMs all seem to be photographed with SKHynix chips.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
What else are they going to say? Everyone is a proven leader in their industry.

If you want a proven manufacturer of RAM and SSDs Samsung or Micron
Add to that for RAM SK Hynix, and for SSD intel, hgst, Toshiba,