1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BitScope Raspberry Pi Cluster for 3000 Cores in 30U

Discussion in 'STH Main Site Posts' started by Patrick Kennedy, Nov 14, 2017.

2. PigLover

PigLover Moderator

Fun toy. I've use their 4-node rack at home. Note that the Odroid C2 fits perfectly on it and it has enough power to handle it.

3. Monoman

Monoman Active Member

I really like this idea. I cannot wait until this becomes really mature server platform.

4. Jeggs101

Jeggs101 Well-Known Member

That's good to know. Are you pxe booting? 2GB seems more useful

5. PigLover

PigLover Moderator

Not PXE (not sure that works on the C2 - I think only supported on XU4). I do have eMMC cards on all of them instead of using the SD.

My biggest gripe about the C2 is the lack of a stable mainline kernel build. Still stuck at 3.14, which means current docker builds don't work right. Though I do understand there may be hope for a stable 4.x kernel later this year.

6. capn_pineapple

capn_pineapple Active Member

How does the networking work on it?

7. PigLover

PigLover Moderator

The 4-node racks distribute power. They also have pins on the reverse side to access the SGPIO pins normally used for various pi-hats and add ons. This cleans up a lot of cabling and hassle building a cluster.

But the network ports are still individual per pi-node (or Odroid-node, etc.). You have to cable each node to a switch. In the big 6u shelf shown in this article there are a set of Ethernet switches at the rear of the shelf with cables to each Pi and a pair of high-speed uplinks from the switch.

capn_pineapple and Patrick like this.