bi-direction performance of Mellanox ConnectX-2 cards?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
I just got myself 4 of the $15/each Mellanox ConnectX-2 10Gbe cards. The cards came with 4 3-meter long DAC cables with Cisco branded SFP+ modules. I tested them today with iperf and uni-directional performance was great, showing about 9.8x Gbps - results were same on all 4 cards with all 4 cables. This is using 64bit CentOS 7; no tweaks on anything.

When I did the bi-directional test, I'm only seeing about 5~6Gbps each way. They are showing link at 10000M and Full duplex. When I perform the uni-directional test individually in both directions, I get 9.8x Gbps. So, is this pretty typical for this card as far as bi-directional performance? Is it not able to saturate 10Gbps in both directions at the same time? Or does it require some tweaking?

The system is an 8-core C2758 - I did have to run iperf -P 8 in order to get the 9.8Gbps ... is it possible that the bi-directional test is CPU bound? (since each iperf process is both sending and receiving?)

ttabbal

Mar 10, 2016
Using Proxmox on one end, Ubuntu on the other, both the latest versions and fully patched. 2x Mellanox CX2 cards (HP branded), OM3 fiber. I get about 9.7Gbps with both bidirectional and unidirectional tests. I haven't tested with DACs, but can't see why it should matter. I didn't do any tweaking, just whatever settings the OS came with. No jumbo frames etc., IPV4 static addresses on an independant subnet. This was point-to-point, no switches or other traffic on those interfaces.

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
Using Proxmox on one end, Ubuntu on the other, both the latest versions and fully patched. 2x Mellanox CX2 cards (HP branded), OM3 fiber. I get about 9.7Gbps with both bidirectional and unidirectional tests. I haven't tested with DACs, but can't see why it should matter. I didn't do any tweaking, just whatever settings the OS came with. No jumbo frames etc., IPV4 static addresses on an independant subnet. This was point-to-point, no switches or other traffic on those interfaces.
were your tests done with iperf as well or another tool? with your info, now i'm wondering where my bottleneck is...

ttabbal

Mar 10, 2016
Just iperf. You could watch CPU use to see if that's involved, but I wouldn't think so. Even these older cards have some offload capabilities. The only thing I can suggest is trying to swap parts, as I didn't have to really do anything, I don't have any real troubleshooting suggestions. :)

Apr 21, 2016
The software from Mellanox can be built just as the OFED generic one. What's binary I don't know for sure, I haven't checked the build log. It wouldn't make much sense since they are also releasing the source code for their releases.