Beware of EMC switches sold as Mellanox SX6XXX on eBay

Discussion in 'Networking' started by mpogr, Aug 2, 2016.

1. mpogr

mpogr Active Member

You need to run a Subnet Manager on the computer. Not sure where you can get one for Windows. You will definitely have better luck with Linux...

2. i386

i386 Well-Known Member

The mellanox ofed distribution contains a subnet manager

3. Hindsight

Hindsight Member

Ok I was able to run opensm in windows and flash it. I'm soo close I can taste it.

Took forever to boot I was about to pull the power cable but man the fan is so much better in this mode.

admin/admin isn't working on the console so I can't get in and it doesn't to have an IP. So something must not have stuck. Hostname and others seem set correctly.

I see the MLNX OS from DHCP! So it's all good I just need to reset the admin password

Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
  4. mpogr

mpogr Active Member

You can boot into your scratch partition and edit /etc/shadow file at its appropriate location (you'll need to mount it) to have empty password for the admin user. The you'll be able to get in.

5. Hindsight

Hindsight Member

I've been pulling my hair out trying to login. No matter what I do it says it's invalid.
    I even tried generating a hash. I tried enabling root. I've tried logging into the web client but it still isn't working.
    my shadow looks like this
    admin::10000:0:99999:7:::

Aug 3 02:30:35 40GB login: pam_tallybyname(login:auth): Denying access to user 'admin': Maximum number of failed logins reached, account locked. You may try again in 5 second(s).
    Aug 3 02:30:37 40GB login: TOO MANY LOGIN TRIES (3) FROM (null) FOR admin, Have exhausted maximum number of retries for service
    Aug 3 02:30:37 40GB login: PAM 1 more authentication failure; logname=LOGIN uid=0 euid=0 tty=ttyS0 ruser= rhost= user=admin
    Aug 3 02:31:08 40GB wsmd[4775]: pam_unix(wsmd:auth): authentication failure; logname= uid=0 euid=0 tty= ruser= rhost=10x.x.x. user=admin
    Aug 3 02:31:08 40GB wsmd[4775]: [wsmd.NOTICE]: Authentication failure for user admin from 10.x.x.x

When I boot into minimal linux and mount the file systems the file I am modifying is /mnt/root2/etc/shadow

6. mpogr

mpogr Active Member

Make sure you edit the right /etc/shadow file. MLNX-OS creates one under /var and links /etc/shadow to it. You may want to break this link and make the changes in /etc/shadow itself. Make sure you mount the right partition when you boot into the scratch.

7. Hindsight

Hindsight Member

I've broken the link and modified the shadow file in both /mnt/var/opt/tms/output/shadow and /mnt/root2/etc/shadow but same issue.

from uboot I am just using these 2 to go back and forth between block6 and 7.

setenv jffs2_args "setenv bootargs root=${rootdev} rootfstype=jffs2 rw reset_button=${reset_button} ${image_kernel_args} ${extra_args}"

setenv jffs2_args "setenv bootargs root=/dev/mtdblock7 rootfstype=jffs2 rw reset_button=${reset_button} ${image_kernel_args} ${extra_args}"

8. mpogr

mpogr Active Member

Not sure what's wrong. I'd also try to replace the admin shell with /bin/bash (in /etc/passwd) and login into bash.

9. Hindsight

Hindsight Member

It seems like it isn't taking anything, I did replace the shell with bin/bash but it still gives me the same login prompt.

10. mpogr

mpogr Active Member

So you're changing wrong files. When you boot into scratch, mount MLNX-OS partition (in RW mode!) and double check the files. In "virgin" state, /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow (the path are relative to MLNX-OS root!) are symbolic links to files on another partition (don't remember exact path). Make sure you break the links and the files actually reside on MLNX-OS partition and have the right stuff in them...

11. Hindsight

Hindsight Member

I don't see what other files I can change, and they are being kept. Just to walk through my steps.

power switch -> break and get into uboot -> mount

from here mount the volumes
    already removed symliink for passwd and shadow in /mnt/root2/etc/ and copied the 2 files over

after complete I press the reset
    back in uboot - boot block7 this time

it comes up, I can get to it via ssh, http and console
    login prompt I try admin/admin or admin no password. same issue

12. mpogr

mpogr Active Member

I'd try "setenv rootdev=/dev/mtdblock7" instead of what you've been doing and give it another try. Also, after you changed the shell in /etc/passwd, are you getting a different prompt? Can you post the prompt you're getting?

13. Hindsight

Hindsight Member

I'll try that line now, as for the prompt. This is the same thing regardless of bash or cli in passwd;

No change with the simpler line.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
  14. Hindsight

Hindsight Member

Talked to a guy on Reddit who did the same thing. He had me link the passwd and shadow back to /var/opt/tms/output/. I rebooted and loaded it again and I'm in with admin/admin. Thank you for your help.

metag, arglebargle and mpogr like this.
  15. mpogr

mpogr Active Member

Glad it worked for you. Still not sure why it didn't work in the first place. FYI, I now (after the system has been setup) have the link broken and everything works fine...

16. Hindsight

Hindsight Member

So last question, how can I get it to boot directly to the mlnx-os? Maybe I did something wrong though. In console I can press enter to stop and get into uboot to choose my 2 partitions but if I let it auto load it boots up something different.

I get a "Switch-A(4)>" prompt and it takes different commands and I can't boot anything. Output looks like this.

Code:
    ----------------------------- Board Info -----------------------------
    * Chasis Type        : DINGO
    * Number of Ports    : 12
    * U-Boot Revision    :U-Boot 2009.01 SX_PPC_M460EX SX_3.2.0330-82-EMC ppc (Feb 27 2013 - 12:13:42)
    * Firmware Revision  : 9.3.8170
    * INI file Revision  : 0x00000000
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
                 BUILD INFO UTILITY

GET_PROJECT_CVS_COMMIT_LEVEL..=1.395
     GET_BUILD_BASE................=
     GET_BUILD_SIGNATURE...........=0025b50070fd,2015-05-11,15:49:18,26896
     GET_BUILD_PATH................=/emc/tdowning/ppc460_release/may_11_2015

17. Hindsight

Hindsight Member

Edit - I found it, So anyone else having this issue.

Change your flash_jffs2 from run emc to run mlxlinux

Code:
    => askenv flash_jffs2
    Please enter 'flash_jffs2':run mlxlinux
    => saveenv
    Saving Environment to Flash...
    . done
    Un-Protected 1 sectors
    Erasing Flash...
    . done
    Erased 1 sectors
    Writing to Flash... done
    . done
    Protected 1 sectors
    => reset ▒

Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
    metag likes this.
  18. mb300sd

mb300sd Active Member

Just picked up a SX6018 to upgrade to 40/56G. Are these able to bridge IB and Ethernet networks? I'd like to play with IB but need it linked to my ICX6610.

19. i386

i386 Well-Known Member

Yes, you can bridge ethernet and Infiniband with the vpi profile.
    But you can't run the sm manager on the switch when you use the vpi profile :D

20. Hindsight

Hindsight Member

I am in vpi mode and I just enabled sm manager

Attached Files: