Beta Testing Folding Automated Benchmark

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Since the spreadsheet has folks confused at times, it is time to make a folding database that collects better data.

Update:

Here is ftp information for beta users:
hostname: folding.servethehome.com
user: sthpjk4
pass: yDa7NBwc

If you want to see results:
MySQL Server Name: mysql.folding.servethehome.com
username: sthfoldingdb
password: X7wYyz11aQEpz

Haitch

Apr 18, 2011
Albany, NY
Since the spreadsheet has folks confused at times, it is time to make a folding database that collects better data.
And thats what I'm working on. My Benchmark utility collects a consistent set of data about the System and WU, writes it to a DB. The DB can then be queried to make informed decisions about folding hardware.

I'm going to start another thread about features to add, discuss what data is relevant and should be collected - please weigh in.

H.

Haitch

Apr 18, 2011
Albany, NY
updated with FTP information
Have the 1.03 beta almost ready - still just windows, will be porting to Linux next.

Added:
Version of Benchmarker
Version of FAHClient
Number of Frames tested
Platform
Whether its a BenchMark Unit or Live Unit
Username
Architecture - 32/64 bit
Filesystem
Number of Dimms
Memory Frequency
FAHClient arguments

Full list of fields is:
RunDate,WU,MaxTPF,MinTPF,AverageTPF,CPUVendor,CPUModel,CPUName,Freq,CPUID, NumProcs,NumCores,Numthreads,L1Num,L1Size,L2Num,L2Size,L3Num,L3Size,Memory, MemSpeed,BenchVer,FAHVer,NumFrames,Numdimms,Platform,Scheduler,Kernel, BenchLive,
UserName,Architecture,FileSystem,FAHArgs

Any other system or WU data that could be useful ?

I want to clean up the code a little, will upload tomorrow.

H.

Haitch

Apr 18, 2011
Albany, NY
Have the 1.03 beta almost ready - still just windows, will be porting to Linux next.

I want to clean up the code a little, will upload tomorrow.

H.
Beta 3 is going to be delayed as the chkcpu info for overclocked Sandy Bridges is inaccurate. Every single command line tool I can find reports the base CPU freq, not the actual CPU freq. Currently killing my PPD, getting a migraine reading about the SB MSRs, and comparing MSRs at different speeds. Why can't Intel just document "To get the active/maximum multiplier read MSR xyz?"

Beta 3 will be up when I get the CPU clock speed accurate.

H.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I have noticed that a lot actually. I think the market needs to catch up to Sandy Bridge!

Haitch

Apr 18, 2011
Albany, NY
I have noticed that a lot actually. I think the market needs to catch up to Sandy Bridge!
Actually I think Intel need to make SB report properly back to benchies, or publish how to read this data. The Windows High Performance Timer reports the wrong value ( How is that going to mess up apps that rely on it - like games), measuring the processor Time Stamp Counter gives the wrong value,every "traditional" freq check returns the wrong value. The only working way I've found so far is to read the MSR for 0x199 - bits 8-15 (undefined MSR register value), but ... rdmsr is ring 0 only, so has to be a kernel mode device driver, which with Win 7 64 bit means signed drivers ( = $$$ for MS). But yet, CPU-Z and RealTemp access those registers - I just can't figure out how.

Haitch

Apr 18, 2011
Albany, NY
answer was staring me in the face - finally got a clue. Adding more fields to the DB, will upload beta 3 in a day or two.

Patrick, have you created a user ID on the DB for submitting results?

I'm adding a validation hash entry on the submitted values so spoofed entries can be detected/removed.

H.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Will the current user not work for submit? Let me know.

Haitch

Apr 18, 2011
Albany, NY
Current user will work for submit, but it has too many rights - like the ability to drop the database altogether. Thats now an account you want to make public. The publicly known ID should have Query and Insert rights only.

Haitch

Apr 18, 2011
Albany, NY
Beta 1.04 uploaded - lots of new hardware detection.

FAH Info:

RunDate,UserName,BenchLive,WU,NumFrames,MaxTPF,MinTPF,AverageTPF,BenchVer,FAHVer,FAHArgs

CPU Info:

CPUVendor,CPUCoreName,CPUCodeName,Freq,CPUSpec,CPUMultiplier,CPUFSB,Stepping,InstructionSets,
CPUPackage,CPUID,eCPUID,NumProcs,NumCores,Numthreads,L1DataNum,L1DataSize,L1InstNum,L1InstSize,
L2Num,L2Size,L3Num,L3Size,

Memory Info:

Memory,MemFreq,Numdimms,MemType,MemChannels,CASLatency,RAS2CASDelay,RASPrecharge,CycleTime,RowRefreshTime,CommandRate

Motherboard:

MoboVendor,MoboModel,

OS Info:

Platform,Scheduler,Kernel,Architecture,FileSystem

ResultVerification
Hash

H.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
OK keep us posted. Maybe link to the file in the forums so we can easily point people?

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Right now things sit in the database, on the action item list is building an application to display results. I updated the main page with the public user DB information.

BTW Haitch, I tried this on a notebook that had windows and was not folding... overheated the thing :)!

Will work on something more appropriate this week.

Haitch

Apr 18, 2011
Albany, NY
Jebo,

The results are up in the database, currently it's a total of one record .... a test I ran on my dual Hex, which shows i'm missing a couple of fields on AMD. I'll have a new beta up tonight to fix that, and a couple of other issues I ran into testing 1.04.

If you want to see results:
MySQL Server Name: mysql.folding.servethehome.com
username: sth_fdb_1
password: pEm8X91wzyy5
You can use the above an the Oracle MySQL ODBC connector to import results into Excel very easily and pivot off of that.
Don't hand that user ID/password out to everybody - it's got full rights to the database

Edit: or maybe not, it just looks like it does .....

H.

Last edited:

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
That is the public user that we set up. Maybe should make another username though specifically for people to use for viewing purposes.

jebo_4jc

Apr 18, 2011
only compatible with 64 bit windows I see :)

err. I don't really know what I'm doing. So, I have to run that mysql exe first? and I'm supposed to give it the username of a windows user?

Code:
C:\FAHBench>mysql -u jeremy -p < createtable.sql
Enter password: ********
ERROR 2003 (HY000): Can't connect to MySQL server on 'localhost' (10061)

Last edited: