Best Way for Network Routing Setup

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Benten93

Nov 16, 2015
Hi guys,

right now i am reviewing my network setup and i would like to hear your opinion on it.

It is setup as followed:

Hardware:
2x D-Link DGS-1510-28X stacked together ( each 24 GigE and 4 10Gig-SFP+ Ports)

My layout has 8 VLANs (1,1000-1005,4001-4002) with seperate Subnets on 10.X.X.X

VLANs 4001-4002 are for iSCSI Traffic between my VMware hosts and my SAN Storage (SFP+ Ports)
VLAN 1000 is for the core networking ( Router (more further down), DCs, TFTP, eMail Servers,...)
VLAN 1001 is for the Webservices ( Homepage, Cloudnodes,...)
VLAN 1002 is for my VM Workstations
VLAN 1003 is for my SQL Databases (MySQL and MSSQL Traffic
VLAN 1004 is for my general Network
VLAN 1005 is for Wifi ( Guest only)
VLAN 1 is for Management of the Hardware ( IPMI, etc.)

So far so good. Until now i setup the routing between the VLANs on the D-Link Switches which does quite good.
DHCP is organized via Helper IPs to forward to VLAN 1000.
The Router/Firewall is hooked up on VLAN 1000 and is the default gateway on the switches for any other routes.
Regarding that my Firewall (Sophos Appliance) has only one connection to the switch, whereas it has 6 free GigE Ports. I never used Trunks between firewall and the both switches.

As of the state right now, i think the setup is quite ok, but i thought about switching the routing over to my firewall.
Would you guys prefer any of those two ways? Or do you have some recommendations?

Thanks for your input!

StammesOpfer

Mar 15, 2016
Seems the only reason to change would be if you are trying to add rules between vlans that you can't do in the switch.

Benten93

Nov 16, 2015
Seems the only reason to change would be if you are trying to add rules between vlans that you can't do in the switch.
Until now i didnt had any Problems with Setting ACLs on The Switches, but good Point!
Is there any best practice for Setting those Networks up? :)

StammesOpfer

Mar 15, 2016
Until now i didnt had any Problems with Setting ACLs on The Switches, but good Point!
Is there any best practice for Setting those Networks up? :)
Don't allow any traffic between them if it doesn't need to. Really depends on what you do and what you have in place. Like your guest VLAN probably shouldn't communicate with anything but the internet. Nothing but whatever you use to manage you devices should have access to your management VLAN. Depends on how far you want to go. Could go down to ports and protocol or keep it more general.