Best Smart TV for 1K budget (Samsung preferred)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Any suggestions before I got out on 'the great hunt'?

Truth be told I have not been keeping up on TV tech much over the last few years so specs such as 4K or other desirable features are greatly unknown. What I do know is I desire 60" roughly and hard wired capability and all the goodies such as built in netflix/plex/etc. Most probably have this such as Samsung, LG, Vizio, etc. If these brands are all crap or there is greater value to be had I am all ears/open to suggestions. I know many of you are quite knowledgeable on this topic arnd here.

Is this a decent choice? May have to up the budget to $1500

Samsung UN60KS8000

Last edited:

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Any suggestions or 'WAIT, DON'T DO IT' advice? $$$ burnin' a hole in my pocket and I never have had a nice TV hung in the spot I had made for it in my house since I built it 3 yrs ago. Lookin' for some nice new eye candy. Wanna spend the $1500 wisely.

CreoleLakerFan

Oct 29, 2013
Sony TVs come with Android TV, which is much nicer (more function, better security, better selection of apps, better performance, etc) than the custom shite spyware that comes on Samsung sets. I think LG may have a reskinned version of ATV at the core of their SmartTV platforms.

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Thanks for the input, have to check out Sony's line. Do you happen to know if either Sony or LG support HD HomeRun natively? I believe the Samsung's do.

CreoleLakerFan

Oct 29, 2013
So did you spend that $1500 or is it still burning in your pocket?

Looks like there is a HDHomeRun app for Android TV, so the LG and Sony models which run ATV will support it.

I have an admitted bias against Samsung ... never got over the $600 10.1 G1 Galaxy Tab being deprecated so quickly because Samsung wouldn't release a ROM past 4.0 (after taking so long to put it out in the first place). I also had a perfectly capable G2 phone that suffered from the same issue. Not to mention that TouchWiz makes me want to puke.

Their Smart TVs were found to be transmitting unencrypted voice recordings of users back to Samsung and a third party.

Samsung makes best in class hardware, but their software engineering is just about the worst you can ask for.

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
I ended up w/ the Samsung UN60KS8000, pretty happy with it all in all, it detects my HDHR as a source w/ an ethernet cable plugged in. Wall mounted it w/ a cheetah wall mount, looks clean, picture is amazing, too bad there is not a whole ton of 4K content out yet. Plex app works great, I retired a rasplex Pi and am just using integrated samsung plex app. Same thing w/ Chromecast, retired, I mostly used it for netflix streaming but w/ such a good native netflix app built into the smart TV no sense using it anymore. Only thing I do whipe the chromecast out for from time to time and connect to the OneConnect (story on that later, kinda burns me) is to watch a browser based stream every now and then.

OK kudos touted now for the b|tch fit...Samsung in all their infinite wisdom uses some blasted priprietary connection for their one connect device, does not require pwr to the oneconnect but there is this unruly large (as in wont fit in my pre-ran wall fish conduits when i built this house 3 years ago). BS, so I had to mount the oneconnect up behind the TV and the OC cable runs from that seemingly HDMI multiplexer/switcher to the samsung TV w/ that fatty connector. LAME but not a showstopper, I just ran a HDMI and cat6 cable down conduit for any device I may want down on a low profile TV stand in the future (read game console/retropi Pi/etc.). Seems to work out good but irritating nonetheless that they took all ports off tv except their proprietary one. Weak sauce but other than that very happy w/ TV, if I had more time to think on it and didn't have that loot burnin' up a hole in my damn pocket while all I hear in my head is 'buy a Xeon D based system'...yeah that was rough. :-D

Reactions: CreoleLakerFan