Best price/TB for eSAS drives if you were buying now?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

jcl333

May 28, 2011
Looking around, there are good deals even on new drives with full warranty.

I am looking at 6/12Gig enterprise SAS disks, at least 10TB but maybe more in the 12-16TB range, 18TB+ seems to be where it really jumps up.

Mostly interested in new w/5 year warranty type of thing, but if someone has the no-brainer deal on drives they consider to be solid choices even aftermarket, maybe.
Looking at the BackBlaze reliability survey results is one place to start for models/brands to look for.
I am sure someone on here has been scrutinizing the deals lately. I am surprised we don't have some kind of a sticky here that gets updated every 6-12 months, kind of like the regular postings on various things on Anandtech and Tomshardware, etc.

One of my motivators is power and heat. I am currently using 4TB drives that run about 10w each, and I need to hit between 30-40TB or so usable in R6, or even R10 as these drives are so large, if you were doing 4x 16TB you could just as well go R10. The only reason not to maybe would be for expansion, just adding disks vs. having to do a raid level migration. Since the newer drives are Helium the power & heat per TB is amazingly low, I could be at 1/3 the power or less for the same capacity.

Thanks

-JCL