Best Practice - Zones and Napp-it

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Lu An Jie

Jun 21, 2014
China, Shanghai
Is there any special consideration needed to run napp-it in a non-global zone. I would like to consolidate my database server, test server and NAS into one machine.
The database server is currently still running on OpenSolaris, test servers are running with OpenIndiana and Centos 5 in a lx-brand and the NAS is also an OpenSolaris machine.

I would like to go OmniOS, running them in different zones avoiding any installation in the global-zone.

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
napp-it used to manage basic settings like pools, snaps, volumes, targets, network settings, users or services like SMB or NFS.
It is essential therefor to run napp-it in the global zone otherwise most of its capabilities are useless.

On the other hand, the only system-modifications done by napp-it is adding a napp-it user, setup SMB and sudo and install some basic tools like smartmontools, mc, bonnie etc. None of them are critical. You can even disable napp-it or napp-it services when not needed.

Running applications or databases in a zone is a good idea.