1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best OS and software for Machine Learning and Deep Learning

Discussion in 'Machine Learning, Deep Learning, and AI' started by frozen, Jul 29, 2017.

?

Which is the best OS for machine learning and deep learning

1. Mac OS

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Windows 10 and Creator Update

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Windows 7

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Linux (which favour?)

100.0%
  5. Others

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. frozen

frozen Member

Hello, I am a Mac user but I have also used Windows and Linux. I have a degree in AI many years ago but haven't worked on Machine Learning and Deep Learning. I am considering to replace my old computer and I am interested in learning Machine Learning and Deep Learning. Which is the best OS for Machine Learning and Deep Learning? What software do I need to install? Thank you.

2. Patrick

Patrick Administrator
    Staff Member

Ubuntu Linux w/ a NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti is what you want as of today.

Then, get into nvidia-docker which will make life extraordinarily easy.

java and frozen like this.
  3. frozen

frozen Member

Thanks Patrick. I only have an old MacBook Pro at home. Considering to get a MacBook Pro 2017 15" or a lightweight laptop with a desktop PC. Will that be good enough if I choose the latest MacBook Pro and add an eGPU GTX 1080 Ti? Should I choose an enclosure that would allow me to add multiple GTX 1080 Ti for future proof? I suppose it is better to install the Ubuntu Linux natively rather than though an emulator. Am I correct?

Not sure if Thunderbolt 3 and eGPU will work on the MBP under Ubuntu Linux.

4. Patrick

Patrick Administrator
    Staff Member

My advice instead of doing eGPU would be to buy/make a small server with a 1080 Ti. You can let that train models and have a reliable network connection while you access it remotely from the MBP. The eGPU enclosures are not that much cheaper than a used Xeon E3, E5-2670 (or E5-2660 V2), or low-end Xeon D server.

Think of it this way, if you end up wanting to train something that takes 2 hours, 8 hours or a day to run, do you want to leave your Mac attached the entire time? My sense is no.

The other advantage is that you will start learning to do ML on servers which is what you will do when you scale out to clusters or cloud instances.

frozen likes this.
  5. frozen

frozen Member

Just curious, why Ubuntu Linux is better than Mac OS which is also UNIX based?

6. dhenzjhen

dhenzjhen Member

Because majority of deep/machine learning guides online are all based on Ubuntu.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

java, frozen, cactus and 1 other person like this.
  7. Patrick

Patrick Administrator
    Staff Member

100%

When you have to troubleshoot, easier to start when you have Ubuntu

java and frozen like this.
  8. frozen

frozen Member

Thanks. I would assume that 4K display would allow us to see more especially when using TensorFlow. Is it advisable to get 4K display? I know that Windows has scaling problems. Not sure about Ubuntu. Any idea?

9. dhenzjhen

dhenzjhen Member

No need for fancy 4k monitor since you can do it remotely. Here's the run did last time just in case you want to see it using caffe and DIGITS.