Best data rescue tool (single NTFS NVMe drive) in 2023?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

DaTruAndi

Mar 10, 2023
Hey friends,

have a suddenly acting up SSD with NTFS as the file system.
What's the best way in 2023 to try to recover data? In the past I had best results with the free "testdisk".
Is there something better today? Or more user friendly alternatives?
Ideally want to be able to find and recover partition if possible, if not, I want to get as much of the directory structures and files as possible.

EDIT: Drive does no report back size right now, so testdesk fails

Thanks,

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
What I would do:
1.) create an image of the device (there are different tools or live systems, they create basically the same image and format)
2.) use recovery tools with/on that image

My tool of choice is winhex (not free, I think it was ~200$ for the professional version and updates for 2 years)

oneplane

Jul 23, 2021
Depends on what the data is worth to you. If there is hardware damage and the data is worth a lot to you, I'd say outsource it to an expert. If there is no hardware damage at all and the data isn't worth much, take an image like i386 wrote and work on that.

Considering the drive reports no size, it seems like a controller issue, which means that none of the 'data rescue' tools will help you here, they assume a working drive and what you have is a non-working drive. It is likely that the data in the NAND chips is fine, but the firmware or the controller is dead.

Reactions: DaTruAndi